(GIANT BABA MEMORIAL) Naomichi Marufuji & Jinsei Shinzaki post match interview


19th February 2019
Boku Pro

Q: How was the match?
JINSEI: When I went to All Japan for the first time, twenty years ago, Marufuji was was Misawa's attendant then, and mine too. There are memories of Marufuji giving assistance during training, in the office, and even at night and in Misawa's private life. It has been twenty years since Baba died, and now I am with superstar Marufuji in this ring...
MARUFUJI: What are you talking about? (laughs)
JINSEI: I was very happy to tag together. It was very reassuring.

Q: Sometimes you partnered with Baba, what are your thoughts on the tournament?
JINSEI: We tagged in All Japan about two years before Baba died. At the Tokyo Dome match, I turned around and thought someday Mr. Baba someday...I thought I would do the prayer rope walk for Buddha. My wish came true and there are lots of nostalgic and wonderful memories.

Q: Marufuji, how did you view the match?
MARUFUJI: As Jinsei said, I was still a teenager and Misawa's attendant, and we were riding together on the same small bus. At that time I was a junior, and Jinsei was the world famous Jinsei Shinzaki, and I was in awe. Although this time, and by doing this, over time I think I have shown Jinsei my development, and I would be happy if Baba could see this from heaven. After all, I am the last pupil of Giant Baba, and that is not something I will ever yield, that cannot be given to anyone else, and no one can be substituted, and I am really proud of that.
Well, today, there was a way to bring everything out in the match. The opponents were Mochizuki and Shun Skywalker.. (the rest does not translate well)....and I hope to see you again someday in the ring. 

Q: What would you say to Baba in heaven about the current Marufuji?
MARUFUJI: I wonder?...(what he says doesn't translate well, but basically he says that Baba understood that he was small and although Baba liked his wrestlers to be big people, Marufuji made a small cute little attendant).
JINSEI: You followed after Shiga didn't you?
MARUFUJI: I came after Kanemaru. It went Kanemaru, Morishima, Hashi and then me.
JINSEI: Didn't I tell you to eat more food?
MARUFUJI: Yes that's right, but Makoto ordered sparingly, and it was right after everyone as it was customary to eat properly (rough)
JINSEI: I was always told it was Shiga
MARUFUJI: That's right. I was drinking Ramen soup.
JINSEI'S answer doesn't translate well, but the best way to sum it up would be Jinsei imitating Shiga and saying you can't have more food, and he looks like he never ate.
MARUFUJI: I really wanted Shiga, who was an attendant of Baba's, to come here today. Although it may be presumptuous, the feelings that I am carrying today, I rose here. So, what would I say to Baba? Perhaps he said, "you are small", but for me, that experience was an important treasure.

Picture credit, Boku Pro

Comments