Interview with Minoru Suzuki regarding TAKAYAMANIA from yahoo.co.jp/sports

Wednesday 27th September 2017


Wednesday 27th September 2017

Do not give up, Takayama Yoshiro!
His best friend, Minoru Suzuki talks about "With 10 yen remaining in my pocket, I will continue co-operate with you"

There is no sensation from the neck down due to complete damage of the cervical spinal cord, and there is no prospect of recovery at present.

At a press conference on September 4th, the manager of Takayama Yoshihiro spoke. The condition of the "King of Wrestling" who was hospitalised at a DDT show in May of this year is serious.

As a result, volunteers who wished for the resurrection of Takayama gathered and established "TAKAYAMANIA" for support. I asked Minouri Suzuki, a close friend of Mr. Takayama who attended as a volunteer representative at the press conference, about the current situation and his current thoughts.

 * * *

― What is the current situation of Takayama?

(Minoru Suzuki): It has not changed since I saw him last. He is in a room in front of the nurses station and they are always watching him. He cannot move on his own, even if there is something wrong. Basically, he cannot move from the shoulder downwards at all. He has breathing apparatus and he has to speak during breathing, so it is serious.

―What do you talk about?

(Minoru Suzuki): Who won the G1 this year? He loves wrestling.

― You and Takayama are close friends...

(Minoru Suzuki: When I came back to professional wrestling from Pancrase (2003), Takayama was called "The King of the Pro-Wrestling World". Although I was participating, there was a lot of times in the dressing room that we would be together, so it was my first encounter to say something bad about people beaten up*. Because we are close in age, the wrestling we saw was the same. "When I saw the match of Terry Funk vs Abdullah the Butcher, I liked wrestling" he said. "It's for me".   
There was a match he invited me to, "lets create a life like Antonio Inoki's", the true Inoki Army. "Do you want to do it together?" (2003 in the Tokyo Dome). When our team won, it was decided to "form a tag together". After that we ate together, played together, wrestled together...

I was like the "a snot nosed boy" from "Happy Birth Mother**" which is what our tag team was like. When I got beaten and came back, he would say "What are you doing? Hit them back", then I touched them and he would say, "leave it up to me".

― Have you learned anything from Takayama?

When I came back to wrestling, I could not get the hang of being passive. Because I was not taught properly as a youngster, I went to fighting sports. So when I was passive he would say, "why are you being passive? That's boring! You do not be passive! You are Minoru Suzuki and he must come through". He also taught me how to attack. "Blow away this guy anytime! You look like you are punching goo!" That is the greatest expression he taught me. Takayama is my best friend here and at home.
We fought at NOAH'S GHC Heavyweight Championship in July of last year, and I didn't want to talk as I had made him bloody with a chair. I have only been able to talk about it this September.

- What happened immediately after the injury in May?

(Minoru Suzuki): I received a call from DDT that "Takayama had been injured during the match", but since I could not do anything I worried about it. I had prepared for that day as I knew that someday it should happen.

- And what happened this time?

(Minoru Suzuki) He was in a state where we could not meet for three months. In September the doctor said I could. As expected we cried all day. It is very shocking. I didn't know what to do and called a friend and said, "do you know what to do?".

- And this led to the establishment of TAKAYAMANIA?

(Minoru Suzuki): Even if I pour all my earnings into it, it is a massive amount. It is not an ordinary hospital, it is advanced medical treatment. So, if you can give anything, please do. I will tell you in this case, I have not done anything until now, even fundraising activities in town. It seems strange that people who look at the activities that people do in good faith in "please do" now. It doesn't help to speak ill of others, but for Takayama, I do not think anything. Because it is my best friend, I went drinking until morning. I also have fought with the full power of my life. When my best friend cannot move, I think this is the only thing I can do.
There have been many criticisms. Because I am doing it (laughs). "Suddenly publicly creating an account and transferring money", what a convenient story, or some wrestlers are saying, "I got injured, but I didn't even get 1 Yen"; but there is no other way to think about it.

If you are a reader of "Weekly Playboy", I think that there are many people who liked wrestling. A decade ago, when pro wrestling was stagnating, there was a man who reigned as "The Emperor". Thanks to him Pro Wrestling was saved. Therefore, I want the cooperation of the 10 yen remaining in my pocket because it is good.

I cannot say more to everyone other than "thank you", but I will bow and lower my head. I would like to tell him to "sleep easily".
Thank you.

(Notes)

* I think he means that this was the development of his evil character, not that he went around saying nasty things about the people he "beat up" in the ring.

** Japanese TV drama broadcast in the late sixties and early seventies that was on TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting Service) and ran for three seasons. It dealt with a firm but motherly woman and her life.

LINK to original article: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20170927-00092271-playboyz-fight


Comments