(NOAH) "We are RATELS"

RATELS (from left to right - HAYATA, YO-HEY, Daisuke Harada & Tadasuke)

(Note * means you can find a definition at the end of the article in notes.) 


- I wanted to know a little more about Noah, so this RATELS special feature was arranged for Weekly Pro.
HARADA: I am happy, but I am a bit worried that this interview with us is going to seem like a lunch break with four junior high school students!
YO-HEY: Like playing POKEMON GO in this situation!
HAYATA (turning off mobile phone): I think I will check it once
HARADA: Work, work!
HAYATA: Pokemon is work too.

Q: So, how was RATELS formed again?
HARADA: It was two years ago in December after The Suzuki Army. I told everyone that I wanted to add new wrestlers with new styles.
YO-HEY: In my case, Harada said to me I was better and stronger than Kabuki Kid* by winning the Janke game*
HAYATA: Kabuki was better
YO-HEY: The boss said I was better
HARADA:...

Q: So, why did you call out to these three people?
HARADA: Well, HAYATA and Tadasuke were wrestling with Osaka Pro, and I knew it would be interesting to see them in Noah, but for YO-HEY, well, I really wanted to call out to Kabuki Kid....
YO-HEY: You don't deny it then?
HARADA: It was the only mistake...
TADASUKE: Lets invite Kabuki Kid in, you know, as a support.
HARADA's answer doesn't translate well, but I think he means something like that under the RATELS umbrella, you can always have new members from scratch. The Suzuki Army is gone now, and its nice to have new Noah members as a fresh start.


Q: So how did it feel to be invited?
TADASUKE: At last...
HARADA (to HAYATA): Is that a Mr. Gunso t-shirt?*
YO-HEY: That's a Bodyguard T-shirt
TADASUKE: There is no sense of unity.
YO-HEY: It's pretty cool, isn't it?
HAYATA: Later I will bring three more

Q: So, HAYATA, how did you feel in being asked?
HAYATA: At last
HARADA: Same!

Q: YO-HEY?
YO-HEY: To be honest, I wanted to do something fun, and I was thankful to be asked

Q: The group looks to be firm
YO-HEY (first part doesn't translate well, but I think he is saying something like he knew he had to make the decision to go back to a bigger company than Dove) but Harada was here, Kotoge (who I have been indebted to for a long time), Okasan* (Tadasuke), and HAYATA, who had all gone to Noah too. I wanted to bring my own style. I won with Janken, and it is fate. Destiny in Nagoya.
TADASUKE: You weren't thrown into it.
HARADA says something like when he got everyone together, everyone understands the four wrestlers from the Kansai region, but backstage it is all between them.
TADASUKE: We talk about Kabuki Kid a lot.

Q: By the way, in last years Weekly Pro, YO-HEY mentioned a brief comment about Kabuki Kid?
YO-HEY: He is a sabiki* master
HARADA: When the four of us talk, everyone understands when we talk about the wrestlers in Kansai.

Q: So, if you could add someone, who would it be?
HARADA: Great Kaiser!
HAYATA: Koji Shimizumi
HARADA: Where is he from?
HARADA: Pro Wrestling Huayu 

(Harada and HAYATA talk about it for a while)

Q: In RATELS, you talk a lot about the Kansai indie wrestling scene?
HARADA: We are all from Kansai, and have strong thoughts on the subject.

Q: So in 2013, you went alone to Noah?
HARADA: That is such blah-blah-blah

Q: What did you think when Harada left for Noah?
HARADA: It caused a quarrel at the time.
TADASUKE: When I was told, I thought "lets do our best in our match", but I felt bad.
HAYATA: When I got into the elevator, Okasan's face was different than usual, he told me that "Harada is going to Noah".
TADASUKE: At that time, it wasn't a good atmosphere in Osaka Pro.
YO-HEY: Yes
HAYATA: You were not there!
YO-HEY: That's not true! At the time I was in Namba, Osaka, and so much information came in, it felt like I was part of a "cowboy" affiliation, and the granny of this "cowboy" liked Osaka Pro, especially Kotoge and Harada, who she thinks are cute.
HARADA: We often went drinking
YO-HEY: At that time I was a freelancer and had gone to WWE* when I heard it.
TADASUKE (about Harada in Noah): I was pleased that he was doing well. I wasn't jealous. On the other hand, I thought that I would now do my best in Osaka.
YO-HEY: Were you interested?
HAYATA: I went to see it.
YO-HEY: I went to see a title match with granny and three others!
HAYATA: Kotoge and Harada's.
HARADA: Who won?
HAYATA: I don't remember...everything was the same (laughs). I was too excited.
HARADA: It must have been April 2014 as the Suzuki Army was there.

Q: What kind of excitement does RATELS bring to Noah?
HARADA: If we don't bring any, then we might as well end it, especially if there is no unprecedented amount.
YO-HEY (most of answer doesn't translate well, but he says RATELS are part of the new-born NOAH).
HARADA: I had the feeling that I had to do it here, and I knew that I had to do it now (rough translation).

Q: Please tell me about how RATELS got their name?
HARADA: It was Tadasuke's idea to have each person decide, there were other plans.
TADASUKE: "Ritters" was one I thought of.
HARADA: I suggested that. I also suggested "Glare" (the same name as the unit that Harada, Tadasuke and HAYATA had been in during the Osaka Wrestling era)
YO-HEY: I think I said "The Waist is like the West Wind"
Q: HAYATA?
HAYATA:...

Q: So "Glare" without the kanji?
YO-HEY: Yes, that's right! "Clare".
HARADA: We all voted unanimously for Tadasuke's RATELS. The RATEL is one of the most scariest animals in the world. We had fourteen ideas, and RATELS was the best one.
HAYATA (with a hand gesture): The formal organisation was in February last year. We keep getting results each day.
HARADA: At the end of May, HAYATA took the GHC Junior.*
YO-HEY: That's right.
HARADA: Have you ever held a single title?
HAYATA: I'm a strange beast.

Q: The seeds were planted last week in "My Turning Point"*
HAYATA: It became a trigger for the formation of "The Big Guns"
(They talk about a story about Bodyguard for a while)
HARADA: Anyone else you want to name?
TADASUKE: Mr Straw! All of us!
YO-HEY: Yeah, all he does is drink and breathe.
HARADA: I feel like an old wrestler. I drink so much, and never say no.
TADASUKE: We often go drinking together
HARADA: I drink with Masao Inoue now, some people don't like that (rough translation)
YO-HEY: Surely.

They then talk about holding a second RATELS produce and putting Masao Inoue vs Tadasuke in it. HAYATA suggests Kabuki Kid, Harada says HANZO and Tadasuke says Super Delfin.
Then HAYATA says that Tadasuke has been replaced by Masao Inoue, and is a little jealous of it. Two people, enjoying four drinks. Go and make friends with them.

Q: The big turning point was when the other three in RATELS joined Noah.
HARADA: I was surprised. I was told that three people were coming for a meal with President Uchida, and that they were entering Noah. I didn't know it was them, and I was so happy.

Q: Did anything change from being a freelancer?
HARADA: I didn't notice it, I can do interesting things with Noah. 

Q: Why did you decide to join?
HARADA: Inside I knew the other three would do the same. 
TADASUKE says he knew he had to take this chance, even though he enjoyed being a freelancer. 
YO-HEY says he read about Tadasuke's move in Noah news, he didn't believe it at first and thought it was a made up story and so laughed a lot.
HAYATA says he didn't care.
Tadasuke: Don't lie!
YO-HEY says something that doesn't translate well (best I can render it is about being in a relationship where you can stealing cup of alcohol)
TADASUKE: As I was saying before...

Q: So, what about you two?
YO-HEY: To me, it was like being Mecha Light. It is fun to be in RATELS, and I had the feeling that I could do more, if I belonged. It is fun to be with the other four, that you feel you can belong to something with.
HAYATA: Same! I transferred over from DOVE.
YO-HEY: I felt light when I decided it, but honestly, I was worried. DOVE was strong and comfortable, it was too good, but because everyone was communicating with each other about it, I was crazy about it, although I did wonder whether it was better to add something extra on your freedom. As it is, the feeling was that it had to be Noah. That's why I wanted to go there.
HAYATA: Same! Even now, the relationship with DOVE is good.
YO-HEY: I feel like my friends are working together.


Q: So, when did you first feel the response to RATELS?
HARADA: We formed in February, and it happened round about the summer. I didn't see much of a response at first, aside from perhaps about twenty fans who had accepted us. Especially since YO-HEY is thin and not empty-headed*. So, I wonder if there are alot of antics going on.
YO-HEY: I thought of that myself too.
HARADA: The fans gradually accepted YO - HEY and "YO-HEY" calls started happening.
YO-HEY: I'm sending bribes to each one.
TADASUKE: He is a rich man.
HARADA: Truly!
YO-HEY: It's about 50,000 yen per person ....

Q: So has there been any difficulty on tour with NOAH and the RATELS show?
YO-HEY: Everyone pretty much fits in
TADASUKE: It took me quite a while
YO-HEY: Really? Osakan! I am relieved!
TADASUKE: I did not have any response
YO-HEY: I might be alone in saying this, but you have been outstanding
TADASUKE: I have finally gotten used to it
HARADA: Victory!

Q: When you enter in your theme song, you stand in the corner and and raise your fist?
TADASUKE: Still...
HARADA: Lets explore it!
HAYATA: Its embarrassing to do that sometimes
YO-HEY: Does that mean you don't want to enter the match together?
HAYATA: I want to, but I am embarrassed
YO-HEY: What are you going to do?
HAYATA: I am working on it.
HARADA: Even with my songs rhythm, I want to do it (the rest does not translate well)
TADASUKE: I do it occasionally when I win

Q: At Shinkiba, you will hold the RATELS produce? At the press conference you said, "I want to show more of our group to the Pro Wrestling world?"
HARADA: Its important for more people in the pro-wrestling world to see NOAH, not just fans.

Q: What do you want to do with RATELS?
TADASUKE: First I'd like to make the produce entertainment a success, then I'd like to do a national tour or something starting from Tomei in Osaka.
YO-HEY: Cool!
TADASUKE: I want to gather together local wrestlers, and put on the RATELS box office between tours.
YO-HEY: That's it!
TADASUKE: There is a network in Kansai
HARADA: Yamashina, Suita, Toyooka in Horishima

Q: Each seems likely to be a triumphant box office locally
YO-HEY: Rey Paloma*, Sakigake*, Sabu
HAYATA: Souther* (rest does not translate)
Q: Saki retired in December last year
HARADA: Do we do it?
TADASUKE: It would be good fortune for the first time.
YO-HEY: Depending on something, there is one person I am calling out. I can give you a hint, but it cannot be done on Noah's regular entertainment, but it can be done in RATELS.
HARADA: We could have Noah at noon at the Osaka World Pavillion, and RATELS box office at night.
(YO-HEY, HAYATA and HARADA discuss something, but it doesn't translate well)

Q: Well, back to what we were talking about, HAYATA?
HAYATA: What were we talking about?
Q: Everyone concerned
HAYATA: I want to do this properly
Q: I'm listening to whatever you want to say (rough translation)
HAYATA: I am absorbed in my hobby
HARADA: What is you hobby?
HAYATA: I want to become a skater
TADASUKE: Skateboarding is expensive isn't it?
Q: You bought a ten wheeled one in Sasebo?
HAYATA: I also skateboarded in Sasebo.
YO-HEY: I got home and threw it away
HAYATA: I forgot it at a convenience store like a leaf
YO-HEY: I'm going to be president.
HAYATA: Yeah, if you become a Bass Pro*
YO-HEY: I will pass Bass Pro, and then drive the bus.
TADASUKE: We can get rid of Noah's bus driver then.
YO-HEY: I want to be a man who says I did it with my whole strength (rough translation)

Q: I have just noticed it, but we haven't talked much about inside the ring?
YO-HEY: No, that's realistic of RATELS.
TADASUKE speaks in Kansai dialect, best I can render it would be to saying something like "this is our world"
YO-HEY: Real freedom
HARADA: Everyone does serious interviews.

Q: On the 10th June, the Heavyweights began the "Generational Struggle", and the juniors started to look to the future, of which RATELS is a pioneer part?
HARADA: Yes, this is the start.
TADASUKE: Everyone is coming along for the ride
YO-HEY: I thought so too
HARADA: Everyone is being cautious, there is a sense if looking around and doing it slowly.

Q: So what are RATELS thinking about next? A new member or something?
HARADA: Oh!
HAYATA: Well, actually, there is one person I am calling out...
TADASUKE: No way!
YO-HEY: Will you announce it at the box office?
HAYATA: Yes, the hint is "U", it is a man wearing a hat.
HARADA: Who?
TADASUKE & YO-HEY laugh

Q: Boss, what is your conclusion?
HARADA: I want to have a fascinating match. I want to make a Noah Junior who everyone will come out to see. If I can't make it appeal, then I will quit. This is not just one persons responsbility, it is all of our responsibilities. I want to make the NOAH juniors more attractive, that is what I want to do with RATELS.
TADASUKE: I want people to say they want to fight with RATELS
HARADA: RATELS and the Noah Juniors. If you want to come and fight with us, I would like to be able to think that we can make a name by being the target.


GLOSSARY
Bass Pro: Fishing
HAYATA took the GHC Junior from Hajime Ohara on May 27, 2017
Janke: Rock-paper-scissors game
Kabuki Kid: Dove Pro Wrestler
Mr. Gunso: Dove Pro Wrestler
"My Turning Point" - HAYATA did an interview for Puroresu Weekly (to be translated soon)
"Not empty headed" - Harada used YO-HEY'S slang of "Pappalappa", which doesn't really have a suitable translated meaning, it's more of a comedy phrase.
Okasan: "Mother" (see "YO-HEY'S Nicknames")
Rey Paloma:
Sabiki: Needle used on a fishing rod
Sakigaki: Animated series of Cromartie High (which Yoshihiro Takayama was in)
Souther: Character from "Fist of The North Star"
YO-HEY in WWE: he had a try-out.

Comments