(NOAH) Shiozaki complete defeat of "Mutoh in his heyday", Noah's 12th February Budokan event 7th defense match

Monday 1st February 2021
East Sports Web\Yahoo Japan

~ Please note, I have edited out parts of this interview, as I do not like to talk about wrestlers families. 

Noah's GHC Heavyweight Champion, Go Shiozaki (39) won the "Outstanding Performance Award" as established by Tokyo Sports, who are celebrating their 47th anniversary. Osami Sakai, Managing Director of Tokyo Sports, presented a trophy and certificate of commendation, which gave Shiozaki a new determination. 

Last year, which was the 20th anniversary of Noah, the overwhelming strength that was lined up was repelled by the strong arm of the "Pro Wrestling Master." He is enthusiastic about the seventh defense battle (12th February, Nippon Budokan, Tokyo) with Keiji Mutoh (58) as a challenger. 

Q: What has been the reaction to the people around you when you won the award? 
SHIOZAKI: I had a lot of people saying "Congratulations". It is the first time I have received an award from Tokyo Sports, so I am very honored. 
Q: After receiving the award, you said "I have some regrets". 
SHIOZAKI: Yes, I wanted the MVP award, but I am not doing pro wrestling for that, I am delighted to have everyone choose. 
Q: Last year it was Noah's 20th anniversary year, and the new strain of Coronavirus 
SHIOZAKI: There were empty arena matches, and I couldn't believe that everyone, all the fans, were watching through a screen. I think that is why we were able to have matches. I am just proud that Noah didn't stop.
Q: On January 4th, like when you took the belt last year, you took the pin fall with the moonsault press.  
SHIOZAKI: I have heard that the belt has never been taken by a moonsault, so I am glad that I did. At 58 years old I think there is technique, skill and a certain way of thinking. At the Budokan, I have to think that this is Keiji Mutoh in his heyday, and face each other with everything. 
Q: Hiroshi Hase (59) made a surprise appearance as your partner on January 4th. 
SHIOZAKI: I was surprised (laughs) Of course, after many years there is experience, but "Where does that strength come from?". The fight with Keiji Mutoh, a generation with such power, I wonder if it's a fight with the pro wrestling when I was watching. I think this will be a title match which makes me think about how to fight. 
Q: You are taped all the time these days
SHIOZAKI: Well, it is a concern, but I have to fight while dealing with injuries. The Pro Wrestlers I have seen have overcome that, so I feel no difficulty. 

NOTE I have cut out the part where Shiozaki's family is discussed. 

SHIOZAKI:...I think there are many children who don't know about wrestling, because they don't show it on TV in the evenings like they used to. I think it's a sport that gibes birth to a hopeful future, so I would like to deliver it to those generations. 

NOTE: I have cut out the part about further questions about Shiozaki's family 

SHIOZAKI: I don't know if I could do it at Mutoh's age, but I want to do as much as I can, and what I can do is to connect that experience to the future. I am looking forward to it in many ways. 
Q: About the Nippon Budokan event again? 
SHIOZAKI: For Noah, this is the first Budokan in ten years, and so we will have matches that makes you believe this is an exceptional event. I think it is my destiny to fight with Keiji Mutoh, the representative of the generation I saw when I was a fan, with a belt, and so I want to defeat him and win. 
Q: What kind of year is this year going to be? 
SHIOZAKI: I have held the belt since last year, but the world was dark with Corona, and it was a time when things didn't go well. This year will be a year of hope and realization. I want to fight to connect hope in pro wrestling matches, no matter how. Of course, I will continue to protect the belt! 

Comments