(NOAH) “I’m really looking forward to the journey ahead.” Ulka Sasaki’s challenge as a professional wrestler


16th December 2023
WaniBooks

"Even though it's a debut, it's still an exhibition, so it still feels like a "trial". It was like I was allowed to test drive The Ark, or rather, I was allowed to go on a trial tour (laugh)." Ulka Sasaki, a Mixed Martial Artist who made his professional wrestling debut on November 13th at Pro Wrestling Noah's "MONDAY MAGIC EPISODE 3", smiles carefreely.

Ulka Sasaki is a former Shooto Rim Featherweight Champion and has been competing at the world's highest level of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) since 2014, and has been active in UFC for four years. From 2018, he participated in RIZIN Japan, and later defeated the bantamweight champion and current UCF top flyweight, Manel Kape. He is one of Japan's top MMA fighters, having defeated South Africa's Boyd Allen at RIZIN.42 in May this year. Sasaki suddenly appeared at Noah's Shinjuku FACE event on October 13th, and announced that he would make his debut as a professional wrestler. He made his first appearance as a pro wrestler at "MONDAY MAGIC EP3" on November 13th


Aiming for a body that can compete in professional wrestling matches

All cards for this show were announced on the same day, and Sasaki suddenly appeared in the first match, teaming up with Kenoh and facing Manabu Soya and Daisuke Nakamura. Kenoh is the current GHC Heavyweight Champion who stands at the top of Noah, while Manabu Soya is the number one contender, who will challenge Kenoh for the title at the Ariake Arena on January 2nd. Daisuke Nakamura is a pioneer in fighting in the dual worlds of professional wrestling and MMA, and although this was a ten minute exhibition match, Sasaki was suddenly put on the front line by Noah. 

"When I heard the card, I was like, "Eh! I'm entering here?!" (laughs). All of a sudden there were these incredible members, but I knew that I wanted to meet the top pro wrestlers, I was looking forward to meeting them in the ring. However, when I tried it, I felt like I was messing around, and that I was being played with. I think I'm still an infant as a professional wrestler (laughs). Overall, I'm confident in my stamina, but in pro wrestling I got tired quickly, and I still haven't adapted to it yet, but I was able to experience it through exhibitions, so I guess that's the reward I got."


What surprised fans this time was the change in Sasaki's body. Sasaki, who has competed on flyweight (under 56.7kg) in the UFC, bantamweight (under 61 kg) and featherweight (under 66kg) in RIZIN, has increased his weight to approximately 90kg and has never appeared inferior due to his long limbs and actual height of 177cm. 

"Since I started wrestling professionally, I wanted to get bigger, so I've been working on body modification. However, even though I have gained weight, I still have the body of a MMA fighter and not a professional wrestler, so I plan to take time to build up my body. Specifically, the same goes for dietary habits. I've been increasing my upper body training quite a bit. The muscles around my shoulders and chest aren't really needed in mixed martial arts, but I think they're necessary for professional wrestling, including for appearance. However, I still don't know my style as a professional wrestler, so I feel like I'm doing trial and error. Maybe the style that suits me is a "flowing movement" that doesn't require that much muscle. I'll have to find that in my journey to pursue pro wrestling". 
However, he says that it is important to first "build a body that can compete in a pro wrestling match".
"If you don't build up your body quickly, you'll be in trouble. Each technique is incredibly shocking. Seriously, Manabu Soya is dangerous. Aren't body slams and chops basic techniques? They are really effective. And the shoulder tackle...it was really scary to see that huge lump coming at me (laughs). This is a technique doesn't cause any damage even when you kick it, but I thought it might be pretty effective, but when I tried kicking it, it felt like I was kicking a huge tire and he didn't move at all. After that I was slammed, and it was really effective. So if I was hit by a bomb-type technique like this, it would be really dangerous and I would die (laughs), so in order to protect myself, I'm going to have to practice passive techniques more and keep my body healthy. It has to be made sturdy".


In this way, he fought a full time ten minute match and experienced the rigors of professional wrestling, and the physical strength of a professional wrestling, but, like he said in the beginning, his debut match was just an exhibition match. He is positive that this is not the main battle yet.

"My score this time is around twenty points. I was able to move well, but I think it was the skill of the wrestlers around me, that made it a proper match. I feel like there is still a long way to go. However, I consider this exhibition to be a "test ride on The Ark for Martial Artist Ulka Sasaki. So my costume was fights shorts (for MMA) and my techniques used arm locks and kicks, but once it became official, both my costume and mu fighting style changed completely and instead of being Martial Artist Ulka Sasaki, I was professional wrestler, Ulka Sasaki. I've been competing barefoot for a long time, but I'd like to wear ring shoes as well". 

Ulka Sasaki is not just stepping into a professional wrestling ring, but he is also seriously working on becoming a real professional wrestler. His enthusiasm was reflected in the reaction of the pro wrestling fans and on November 13th, Shinjuku FACE was filled with a welcoming atmosphere. 

"I just think I was destined to be a professional wrestler."

However, some martial arts fans are asking on social media, "Are you running away from MMA?", and there have been some negative comments such as, "Are you going to go to Professional wrestling, because you're no longer accepted?"

"Maybe people say that because my recent results since coming to RIZIN haven't been that good. I don't think anyone who follows my story closely would say that. What makes me say that is that I'm still lacking in skill as a professional wrestler, and I haven't been able to make people think, "Ulka really wants to do pro wrestling." I'm strong in MMA, and I don't feel like I have any limits as an MMA fighter. Don't underestimate that (laughs). Now, even when I practice MMA sparring I'm strong, so there is no reason to run away from MMA, and I originally planned to continue doing it until I was forty. But that's not the case, I live my life according to my own impulse of "I want to do this". There is no doubt right now, I want to do professional wrestling more than anything else. I'm thirty-four years old and it's something that excites me, so I am seriously working on it. After all, in life, you have to do what you really want to do."


The reason why Ulka Sasaki wanted to do pro wrestling so much was when he watched Great Muta vs Shinsuke Nakamura live at Noah's Nippon Budokan event on New Year's Day of 2023. 

"I was invited to go to the Nippon Budokan by someone involved with Noah, who I had a connection with through a mutual friend. I was overwhelmed with emotion when I watched the match between Muta and Shinsuke. I like art, including paintings, visual arts and plays, and I look at a lot of art, but I've never really been "attracted" to it that much. Personally, I think that professional wrestling and martial arts are all "fight art", and while I was doing mixed martial arts, I always aimed to create works that were works of art. That fight moved me and made me think, ``You can create something so amazing as a work of fight art,'' and that's when I decided to go for it.".

Sasaki has been a professional wrestling fan since he was a boy, and is also a fan of Keiji Mutoh and Great Muta. Shinsuke Nakamura was a Wajyutsu Keisyukai​* senior, and he has a personal friendship with him, and he is the object of his admiration. After witnessing the "fight art" work created by these two, Ulka Sasaki's destiny becomes clear. About a year later, he will make his official debut as a pro wrestler at Noah's Ariake Arena show on January 2nd next year. 


"I never thought I would debut as a pro wrestler a year after getting the taste. Moreover, the venue is Ariake Arena, where I had my last match with RIZIN. It's strange to me that the story has been done as if fate had determined it from the beginning. If something like this happens, is that what happens in professional wrestling? I can only believe that I was destined to become a professional wrestler (laughs). I'm really looking forward to seeing what will happen next. What kind of wrestler will Ulka Sasaki become? I think there is a possibility that you can meet a you that you haven't seen yet. Even Shinsuke-san was into martial arts first, and when he started wiggling, I think people thought "What are you doing?" (laughs) Now that's his unique personality, and he's recognized for it worldwide. What kind of work can I release, and what kind of work can I create? I'm really looking forward to my upcoming journey, and I hope my fans can enjoy it with me."

The opponent for Ulka Sasaki's debut match to be held at Differ Ariake Arena on January 2nd 2024, will be Takashi Sugiura, a former GHC Heavyweight Champion and a Noah heavyweight. 
What kind of match will Ulka Sasaki have against this super talented opponent? And what kind of self will he show? Pay attention to the maiden voyage of the man known as the "Skyscraper Tengu!"    


Notes
Wajyutsu Keisyukai​: A network association of MMA dojo's and gyms 

Comments