(NOAH) What is the "terrible landmine" to be stepped on in Shinjuku? Hot topic Noah "MONDAY MAGIC" NOSAWA Rongai interview

17th December 2023
BBM Japan

Noah's new brand "MONDAY MAGIC", which started on October 9th, has become a hot topic in the professional wrestling world. The concept of "MONDAY MAGIC" is based on the match cards being announced on the same day. A story about the Great Muta's daughter unfolds, Mixed Martial Artist Ulka Sasaki made his exhibition debut as a hidden gem, and there are always surprises, such as the appearance of the mysterious wrestler, The Great Mummy, and the participation of unexpected wrestlers from other promotions. Tickets for the shows are all sold out, and the number of views on the streaming service, "WRESTLE UNIVERSE" are also strong. 

"MONDAY MAGIC" will have the final episode of five at the 18th December Shinjuku FACE show. There is no prior information, on what assistant director, NOSAWA Rongai said at the November 27th Shinjuku show, "I will step on a huge landmine on the next MONDAY MAGIC". What kind of landmine is this? In order to find out the truth, we did an emergency interview!

Q: On November 27th in Shinjuku, you declared, "I'll step on a huge landmine in the next MONDAY MAGIC" 
NOSAWA: I can finally feel at ease...
Q: What do you mean? 
NOSAWA: I told you from the start that I would become the devil of Noah (laughs)
Q: *Forced smile*
NOSAWA: "MONDAY MAGIC" was originally done for Noah, and to increase WRESTLE UNIVERSE'S numbers. If Noah's main event is dinner, then MONDAY MAGIC is lunch. We offer a magical space where you can enjoy a variety of professional wrestling at an affordable price. However, I heard old Noah fans say things like, "The main show isn't good enough because of MONDAY MAGIC". Former Noah fans are spreading unnecessary speculation and things that are hurting the current Noah, as if they were true. Because they are doing things like that, fans who are interested in Noah and think MONDAY MAGIC looks interesting, are turned away. New Japan Pro Wrestling owner, Takaaki Kidani, says "all genres are destroyed by maniacs". I agree with that, and it doesn't really matter "if it's fun, it's fun" and "What's boring is boring". 
Q: "MONDAY MAGIC" has been held four times so far. Basically, the card is announced on the day, and WrestleUniverse is causing a revolution in the Pro Wrestling World as this is a content that focuses on visuals. 
NOSAWA: After the GHC Hardcore Championship in Shinjuku on the 27th November, the ring was littered with pieces of plasterboard, and while they were cleaning it up, the fans were having fun cheering along with the movements of the staff. I thought that was a really good trend.
Q: It was a rare sight in Japanese professional wrestling 
NOSAWA: The fans who are already enjoying it are starting to enjoy it of their own accord. As I say every time, there are a lot of issues for the creators to solve, but I'd like the people who have seen it to judge how things have turned out so far. Old Noah fans are too fixated on "Noah's pro wrestling" and when irregular events like "MONDAY MAGIC" become popular, they go on the attack. I'm totally fine with someone come and attack me (laughs), if you are going to attack me, then do it more firmly. That will be the driving force here. It would be nice if you could criticize me more and more. The lack of response is the most troubling thing.
Q: It seems like overwhelmingly there are many pros and cons. 
NOSAWA: No matter how delicious the food is, each person has their own preferences. Pro Wrestling is the same. For example, people who don't like fish don't eat fish. I that's fine, but if you just don't like the fish you've been eating so far, you might try some and find it delicious, and that the trigger for when you stop hating it. That's why I want people to see Joshi and hardcore stuff first. But, Noah is like a restaurant where the regulars won't let the new customers in. I hate old Noah fans because they are trying to take away even new opportunities like that. 
Q: So far, tickets for Shinjuku FACE for the five shows have all sold old, including the finale on December 18th. I heard the numbers on WrestleUniverse are going up as well. 
NOSAWA: Since the "MONDAY MAGIC" = Noah lunch has become popular, I think I'll start making creative dishes for lunch from now on...but only the finals remain now (*forced smile*)
Q: Considering what you have accomplished so far, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of interesting things await us in the final.
NOSAWA: I want the people who come to the final show not to be shy and speak out loud. Since you bought a ticket, you should enjoy it to the fullest. 
Q: If "MONDAY MAGIC" becomes the catalyst for an active spectator style in Japanese pro wrestling, it will truly be a revolution.
NOSAWA: Even if someone says "MONDAY MAGIC" is good or not, I have no intention of changing it at all, so it's just the chef's whim lunch. I'm relieved that there's only one more episode left. I haven't been able to sleep much since I became the assistant director (*forced smile*)
Q: It seems like the wrestlers are enjoying it just as much as the fans. 
NOSAWA: It's not just Noah that Satoshi Kojima gets so much cheers. There is the history that Satoshi Kojima has built, but "Let's go, mutherfucker!" is also magically revived. I will never forgive him for destroying the illusions of little kids by taking off the Great Mummy mask.
Q: Finally, how do you feel about what you've done so far? 
NOSAWA: Even after "MONDAY MAGIC" finishes, I would like to see more improvements and increases in Noah's WRESTLE UNIVERSE broadcasts. Of course, I think there are budget and other considerations, but I would really like to create content for WRESTLE UNIVERSE. Starting with "MONDAY MAGIC", I wanted to destroy the concept of the pro wrestling business in Japan. I've already retired as a professional wrestler, and I'm in a hurry to die, so the land mine I'll step on in Shinjuku on December 18th is about that size. I can't stay in this industry forever either, because I'm a cultured person (laughs).

Comments