(NOAH) Naomichi Marufuji on the hard work to return to the "sacred place" of Budokan


Tokyo Sports
November 25th 2017

Noah's Naomichi Marufuji (38) on the 24th November, gave an interview to Tokyo Sport to talk about the transition to the new structure over the last year. While evaluating the rapid growth of the younger generation, he has pointed out the issues in attracting customers and how it has encouraged further stimulation in wrestlers and staff alike. In the two years until he is forty, there will be a generation change, but he will accomplish a return to Budokan, which is Noah's "sacred place" while he is still active.

Q: Under the slogan "Noah the Reborn", a year has passed since the new regime.

Marufuji: In terms of wrestlers, the volume has increased. The young generation is appearing in good shape. However all of this is meaningless unless we can connect with the fans and attract customers.

Q: Tell us about about Kenoh (32), Katsuhiko Nakajima (29), Masa Kitamiya (29) and Go Shiozaki (35) who are regarded as the central wrestlers of the new structure?

Marufuji: While the image of Noah = Marufuji and Sugiura is strong. It is impossible for me, with the history that I have, to intrude into the same stage as theirs and try to pretend that I do not have it. I had Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Akira Taue and Jun Akiyama, and it was difficult to interrupt them. So we made a junior active in the heavyweight front. In the new "equation", I think that people's thoughts, comments and behaviour will change, and they can rise to the top.

Q: What are the future prospects for Noah?

Marufuji: We still have the name of "Noah", but our changes have not been clearly established yet. First of all I would like to increase the number of customers over two years. I definitely want to go to the Nippon Budokan again before I retire. I was there when I was twenty-six years old. Not that I am saying that I am amazing, but I would like to increase the scale of the young athletes instead of shrinking them.

Q: By when do you want to do this?

Marufuji: I want to have these results before I turn 40. If I have to retract my retirement then it is because I would be irresponsible to just quit, as the rise of the young athletes needs to lead to attracting customers and what I have been doing for nearly twenty years will have had no meaning. A minus needs to become a plus.

Q: New Japan and All Japan were part of the "Major Three Organisations", there was a time when you were part of this.

Marufuji: I think the past decade we have lived on what our seniors saved, and now there is nothing left. Wrestlers, employees, everyone must make it a plus. Mr. All Japan and Mr. New Japan have the customers entering, and it becomes a matter of concern. How did it happen? I have Noah to think about. If not, Noah will disappear.

Q: So what can you do as an athlete?

Marufuji: The battle in the ring is to keep up with the young athletes. When I do leave, it will be because of my age and my career...but do I have final GHC Championship aims. So what I can expect next year? What indeed?

Link to original article: https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/mens_prores/838735/

Comments