(Pro Wrestling Noah) Naomichi Marufuji Interview: "This is what I was addicted to at that time" - Super Fire Pro-Wrestling.


31st January 2017
Middle-Edge.jp

In preparation for this day, I was searching the used computer games shop in Akihabara (Nakano, Tokyo) and vought the Super Fire Pro-Wrestling series.
The game itself was about 780-980 yen used (I got a reciept just in case)

Editor: I thought we would play Super Nintendo today!
Marufuji: Do you have a game other than Kinnikuman?

The editorial department had been waiting for that word. I took one of the boxes and gave it to him. 

Marufuji: Oh! Super Fire Pro-Wrestling?! I used to play this with my brothers!

(Marufuji does not seem to be able to hide the excitement of this, he has not seen it for decades.)

 Marufuji (about the cover art): Who is this picture of? I thought at first this was for the PC, but this is the Super Nintendo version. After a while the new versions come out, I am in it.

Editor: What was the finishing move at that time?

Marufuji: I don't remember, but they have put Shiranui in it.

 (When he appeared in Super Fire Pro-Wrestling, the editorial department was very happy having talked about what a wonderful time we had had. We prepared for this in between such episodes, and Marufuji's stage for playing "Super Fire Pro-Wrestling" is in place)

Marufuji: Is it okay if I fight immediately?

(Written as said)
 Marufuji: Let's see who I should be, Hikawa* is good?

Editor: Make your choice, I'm happy with just seeing Marufuji wrestle Hikawa.

(This is a selfish moment as the editor and the editorial staff get to watch the scenes that pro wrestling fans cannot, in that Marufuji playing as Mikuhide Hikawa on Super Fire Pro-Wrestling)
 Marufuji: I have to remember what the buttons do and what the opponent does. I'll choose "Bison".

Editor: Hikawa vs Bison! That's a card you will never see! Thanks for choosing Bison!

MATCH: MIKUHIDE HIKAWA (Marufuji) vs STAR BISON (Computer)

 Marufuji: There are some techniques that I remember from the first time

Editor: You will be able to use the special move when you become tired.

Marufuji: When getting up, you push the button rapidly.
 (Marufuji keeps his controller upside down and hits across buttons while speaking. There was a sense that you were playing games at your friends house, rather than being with a professional wrestler)

Editor: Did you and your brothers fight each other in this game?

Marufuji: We are four brothers, we played against each other in tag matches.

(During this exchange, Hikawa became bloodied)
 Marufuji: It will bleed like this. One of my brothers told me that he "tried" to bleed.

(Bison is now attacking, Hikawa is inferior, Marufuji becomes serious and aims for a reveral and puts him in a face lock. Bison is getting weaker, and it is time for the finish hold soon.)

Editor: Oooo! He kicked out! Tiger Driver!
 GAME TIME: 4 minutes, 38 seconds
Link to original article: https://middle-edge.jp/articles/4H9Q2

*From what I can make out "Hikawa" was based on Mitsuharu Misawa (Marufuji's trainer)

Comments