(Noah) Short interview with Naomichi Marufuji on "Global Tag League 2018"



18th March 2018
Noah.co.jp


Q: The Tag League is beginning at last. You have won three times in the last ten years (2012 with Mohammed Yone, 2016 with Toru Yano and in 2017 with Maybach Taniguchi)

MARUFUJI: Yes, that's right.

Q: Sugiura is a four time GHC Heavyweight champion and has set a record, if you win, you will win the League by having won four times.

MARUFUJI: How has that happened? I think that is more of a memory, than a record. I think it is best for both in this case, and this time my partner is Atsushi Kotoge. He has a single match against Takashi Sugiura, against a wind of boos, what does that say? If you head towards change like this, even with competant skills, there is a possbility that you reach a part where he/she is unable to go any further or a part where I think there is a possibility you might want to shed. He made the challenge, he could not read the atmosphere, so why should I want to team with someone so does not realise this? Is it not a good twist to things? Now lets leave that part of Kotoge.
On the contrary, his movement is good and his mask is good, but then Kiyomiya with a good technique is also there (laughs). I think it is going to work, as I don't have to put in to him what I do not have, as I would have done with Kiyomiya. We need to put those things into the tag league and just do it.

Q: About a year ago, as soon as Kotoge became a heavyweight, there was a time when you challenged with him for the GHC Tag belt. How do you see Kotoge now compared to then?

MARUFUJI: How is it? There was no comparison. He didn't make too much of an impression at that time. Now it is such a thing! That is why a lot of people who came reacted only to me, I guess for the opportunity. I am in Tag League as his partner, but I think as a wrestler that these one and two months will become a branching point in his future life. In such a situation I want to do as much as I can to help, because he is going to tag with me and I want to give it and I grew up with the same thing in the past. I feel like I stand out conspicuously in the tag league now. I guess it would be better to stop acting like a naughty older brother.

Q: In Hakata on the opening night, you will face the GHC Tag Champions, "The Aggression", Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya.

MARUFUJI: There is no better opening card on the first night than facing the champions. If we fail here, it is highly likely that we will continue to persist.
Kotoge is the same generation!? But I'm not.
In such a situation what can you show more than them?
I guess they are the best opponents in terms of timing.

Q: How do you view The Aggression?

MARUFUJI: Generally fine, sturdy bodies and two people with impact. From now on they are going to try to build themselves as tag champions, and I don't think there is anything wrong with them being champions while still developing. Although they are the title holders, I think it is necessary to face them on the same level.

Q: Does that mean that they will be a stepping stone on the way to your 20th anniversary?

MARUFUJI: I am not thinking that (laughs)

Q: The opening night will be a first time for Hakata?

MARUFUJI: It's good. After all, it is often said that the rural fans come to Tokyo for the opening night, the final game and any special events and it has been said and done so often, that I think we can become a promotion who can open up anywhere in the country if it takes root, and I think it is interesting to hold different opening nights in different places throughout the year. I think it is wonderful to create a situation that can be accepted like this.

Q: A final message if you please?

MARUFUJI: On the 1st September I have decided on Ryōgoku Kokugikan, but before that I would like to win the tag league. Please support us.

Link to original article from Noah.co,jp (in Japanese)

Comments