(NOAH) Noah's Revolution: Atsushi Kotoge declares "Noah's Beginning"

Puroresu Today
18th April 2018
(Author: Shoichi Shibata)




April 29th will be "Kotoge Revolution Day" when Atsushi Kotoge challenges Takashi Sugiura in Niigata for the GHC Heavyweight Championship in response to a cry coming from his soul, has raised the probability of "Kotoge's Noah".

Q: The "Kotoge Revolution" was raised in response to the fight with Sugiura?

Kotoge: I want to release Noah. I love Noah, and I am grateful to Noah's fans, but saying that "Noah should only be like this", will mean it will never change. Katsuhiko Nakajima and Kenoh, they became GHC Champions and ushered in "Noah The Reborn", but in the end Takashi Sugiura has taken the belt, and the hands of the clock have gone right back to the way it was. It has gone ten years back. Sugiura and Marufuji are certainly wonderful. They are still in good condition and I respect them. However, the over 40 year old wrestlers* reign forever, forget it. They will retire before the rest of us, and Noah will end there too.

Q: You have the desire to rise to the top. However, at the 11th March in Yokohama, you were booed when you challenged the new champion, Sugiura.

Kotoge: It was a shock at first. "Oh, I am...", and it was depressing, but that was only for a moment. Then my blood was up, "this is Kotoge's Noah", and I didn't hear them anymore. For the fans of today it is "Sugiura or Marufuji's Noah". I will admit that. All of the fans go through that. There will be some people who will rebel against me, and I will accept being booed. However, from this time "Kotoge's Noah" has begun.




Q: You will change boos into cheers?

Kotoge: No, they can keep booing. I did not say "I will stop them booing by force". Every fan has their own Noah. That is fine. I have "Kotoge's Noah". If there are people who want to support me, I am happy, and those who don't can pursue their own.

Q: Before the title match on the 29th in Niigata, you implemented countermeasures? On the 14th and 15th April, in Sapporo, there was fierce fighting with Sugiura in the Tag League?

Kotoge: I constantly think about measures to crush Sugiura. I also tried it in the two Sapporo matches. Head butting is part of that. His type is straight-up. It is a means of escape. There are several shortcuts to victory, and I will intentionally get in "Sugiura's ring". Naturally, I want to win and capture the belt. I will knock him down, and make him into minced meat. There is no meaning to anything I do if I cannot eradicate Sugiura's era.




Q: You took the pinfall on Sugiura in Sapporo. He said you were the "weakest challenger" and the second match went only 118 seconds. You paid it back to Sugiura and declared the "Kotoge Revoluton".

Kotoge: I am looking to the future. It is as simple as that. The last Heisei will be on April 30th and a new era will start. In Noah, a new era will start from the 29th April in Niigata.

Q: In the Showa era* there was the "Meiji Army", in the Heisei era the "Heisei Ishingun" who where like a tornado in the mat, but now there is your army for the new era?




Kotoge: It is "our era" now. Noah has had a taboo against generational struggles, don't you find that strange? It's like saying that Kenoh, Katsuhiko Nakajima and Kaito Kiyomiya are called the "Four Heavenly Kings", but where am I? Why am I missing? I'm angry about it. I'm angry that in Noah the wrestlers should not raise their voices in protest. Yes I have doubts, but I do believe that there some people who have these feelings but are too embarassed to say anything. Why is that okay?

Q: Spoken from the soul. Before Niigata there is only the 28th April in Saitama.

Kotoge: Fortunately, I am in condition. When I changed from junior to heavyweight a year and a half ago and increased 9 kilos, I could not keep up with my body, but now it is totally heavyweight. Should I be at 90, 92 or 93? I welcome Niigata.

Q: What will happen on April 29th 2018 when "Kotoge's Revolution" starts?




Kotoge: Please prepare Sugiura, you will be in the position of advisor to the new revolution. I am counting on you (laugh).

A feeling rushes from my heart. Kotoge's words have resounded, "everyone has their own Noah, but there is only one Noah to progress". I want to commit Noah to Atsushi Kotoge.

Link to original article from Puroresu Today (in Japanese)

* Marufuji is only 38 (although he will be 40 next year)
* "Heisei" is the current era in Japan under Emperor Akihito. It will most likely end on April 30th 2019 when Emperor Akihito is expected to abdicate due to his age.
* "Showa* is the era before the "Heisei" era

Comments