(NOAH) Kawasaki and Go Shiozaki: Takashi Sugiura interview


26th June: Takashi Sugiura, who succeeded in defending the GHC Heavyweight Championship for the third time in a gruelling fight against Kenoh at Korakuen Hall, did an interview about the fight against Go Shiozaki at the 18th August event in Kawasawki, he also speaks for the first time in a long time about Jun Akiyana & Atsushi Aoki, and the RATELS box office on the 30th June against Daisuke Harada.

Q: You defended against Kenoh?

SUGIURA: I fought with him in March and took the belt, I then decided to go against him again after such a short span of time, but I think it was a tough tough match. After all, and as expected, he is strong.

Q: What do you think of the nomination of Shiozaki for Kawasaki?

SUGIURA: There is a big match there for the first time. I am looking forward to having a title match. Regarding Shiozaki, at Misawa's memorial at Korakuen on the 26th, the pinfall was deprived, and Saito made a challenge to Nakajima and Kitamiya. When those two guys (Nakajima & Kitamiya) walk out, and I think of the new generation, I feel like there is only Shiozaki.

Q: Shiozaki seems to be more interested in surpassing you rather than in a generational struggle?

SUGIURA: To be honest, this doesn't feel like a generational struggle, the picture has changed and he is a Noah mainstay now. Even if I look at our careers, Shiozaki only debuted four years after me. I don't feel there is a generation gap although there is a difference in age.


Q: You said about Shiozaki that you wanted him to "do your best", have you felt the change in him?

SUGIURA: He's quiet. He is more docile when compared with Kenoh and Nakajima. It's a good thing to have, but if you want to make Noah better, you want people who appeal more.

Q: In the current generational struggle, the wind is blowing favorably in the direction of the older generation?

SUGIURA: There are lots of cheers to support Saito, and I feel much support too...I appreciate it, it gives it a different feeling now.

Q: Saito intends to send a message for those fighting at the same age, do you think this is something you can concur with?

SUGIURA: If a person needs to feel it and it gives them the courage to make a challenge. Even in the sports world, the longevity of the athletes has been increasing. It is the same in professional baseball, boxing and in pro wrestling. If your condition is good, you can do it, even in old age.

Q: What about the Eastern Heroes and their first match in Noah?

SUGIURA: They transmitted to the fans that they worked hard. I want the youngsters of Noah to show that pace. There were gorgeous traditional arts at the opening, it adds beauty to the box office.

Q: Why did you decide to confront Akiyama & Aoki from All Japan at Marufuji's 20th Anniversary Box Office?

SUGIURA: The fans are interested, and I think it is going to be a fun match. I wonder how it will be? What will be born of it, what kind of emotions I will feel when I fight? I am looking forward to it because I don't even know the answers to that. Tomorrow I face another person. Harada. Harada will be also at Marufuji's 20th Anniversary box office. I'd like him to show me what he means by "this is Noah's junior champion".

Q: What of the past, is it difficult?

SUGIURA: Not at all. With Noah being as it is now, I don't even remember a year ago, let alone beyond Aoki leaving and Akiyama being the President of All Japan. So there isn't anything.

Q: What do you think of "Hideo Itami" participating in the 20th anniversary box office?

SUGIURA: Who is that?

Q: KENTA...

SUGIURA: Eh? He's coming (haha) Did he change his name?

Q: You have clashed with him before?

SUGIURA: Marufuji vs KENTA...I am looking forward to it. I want to hear what kind of matches he has been having and what kind of conditions he has overseas and what he feels about it. I am looking forward to it.

Q: In addition, on the 20th Anniversary Box Office there will be Sano, Honda, Momota, Suzuki (Kotaro)...all the old Noah gathering?

SUGIURA: Yeah, the old Noah. Long ago that card was natural, but now it is a fun fresh card.

Q: Would you like to stand in the ring at Sumo Hall and defend the belt?

SUGIURA: Yes. Together with Harada who would also be defending the belt as representatives of Noah. Junior champion and heavyweight champion, I want us to go to the ring that way...but I have an idea, tomorrow I face Harada, and I wonder if I will go up as a double champion...

Q: You are a heavyweight, will you take Harada's junior belt as well?

SUGIURA: Yeah, I can be a junior heavyweight (to Referee Nakayama who is nearby) What would you do?


Link to original article from Noah.co.jp (in Japanese)

Comments