(NOAH) AN INTERVIEW WITH KENOH OVER A DRINK (FROM MARCH 2018)


From "Noah The Style" Vol. 13, March 2018 -- issued right before Kenoh lost the GHC heavyweight title to Sugiura in Yokohama

Kenoh has made two successful title defenses as the 30th GHC heavyweight champion. On March 11, at "Great Voyage 2018 in Yokohama," held in Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium, he'll face his sworn friend Sugiura Takashi for his third defense.

Here, his thoughts on being GHC heavyweight champion, his challengers, the belt, the company. And some maxims for the future. The new-era champion will make you pay attention.

Hey, I'm drinking.

Though as champion, I've had a lot to think about, I haven't had time for a leisurely drink. But I'm thinking now's a good time for that. I have a certain level of responsibility and the resolve to be self-aware.

On having his 10th anniversary this year  

Those ten years came careening by. But it went fast because it was so full. And the thing that made it so productive was my own power. Over these ten years, the things I was cultivating bloomed, so it's no mistake that the time careened by. Because of that, from now on I also want to keep on plunging ahead with my way of wrestling.

On the GHC heavyweight belt

If you look down the line of champions, the wrestlers who have created Japan's pro wrestling world are the ones who wore this belt.

Although I just dashed to take the belt this past year, I believe I have to become the kind of person who can build the pro wrestling world. If you look at the line of champions, they're the champions who were ready to be passed down. So I'll just keep walking this path myself, like a champion the next generation might hear about.

On the role of the GHC heavyweight champion

As champion, I'm always aiming for conduct that befits the role. At least, that was my heartfelt wish.

Transitioning to being a heavyweight took about a year; I think I was doing too much,  but I had confidence in "strength."
And when I was challenging for the title, I also had confidence I'd take it.
I think a wind was blowing me onward. But it wasn't blowing on its own, I believe it picked up through my own power.
The thing we call strength -- pro wrestling isn't simply strength. So in that case, what makes the wind blow? Because I'm taking account of everything, thinking. That's why the wind blew, you know.

On Takashi Sugiura

Everybody was already thinking that the era where NOAH equals Marufuji and Sugiura is over. When I first put it into words, no one bit at it, which was a shame. But this time when Sugiura -- a man I appreciate -- announced his challenge, honestly, I was happy. So I think this time, at this big event, there will be a worthy man in the title match.

On his own generation

There are a lot of half-assed wrestlers, and no one stepped up to challenge me. Since the start of the year, where the company is concerned you could just start to feel an energy, but it's a shame none of the wrestlers sunk their teeth into it.
Because of that, I'm not going to leave it to someone else -- I'm going to keep pulling NOAH forward.

On those fucking bastards

The contemporary pro wrestling world — just because you have a good match doesn't mean you're good. In a fight, it's important to fascinate with your presence; but to put my thoughts into words and express them is also important. By making a new wind blow, I'll keep developing into a champion who isn't missing a single thing.
Hurling out fiery words, I don't just represent the feelings of those fucking bastards (fans), they're also my feelings.

On goals, dreams and the Budokan

In the pro wrestling world, I think we're the promotion with the strongest emotional attachment to the Budokan. The wrestlers as well as the staff, and the fans too, I think they were glad when I said in the ring those words they'd started to forget, and made them remember. Once remembered, it becomes a goal. Though some other guy could well come to do it, more than any other, it's I alone who'll pull NOAH forward.

The interview was conducted at:

SHOTBAR Bonito
〒 101-0061
Tokyo Chiyoda Kanda-Masakicho 2-18-1
1st Floor

TEL 03-3263-7840

* Two minutes on foot from Suidobashi Station's west exit.

(Translated by Purodino)

Comments