(NOAH) "Come to Noah" Marufuji's view (February 2019)

Marufuji: The first night I was injured, I cried with pain.
Q: What about your return?
Marufuji: I definitely feel better than I did before missing time. I used every trick in the book to deceive.
Q: You were heavily damaged at Global League 2018?
Marufuji laughs
Q: At first your left shoulder was injured in Hiroshima on the 12th November?
Marufuji: It felt like a subluxation*, but it was a contusion* injury.
Q: You made it to the finals in such a condition?
Marufuji: I felt that I couldn't take passive properly, so even though I knew it was going to be tough, I did it with feeling.
Q: Then in Yokohama you had the "left thigh muscle rupture" on the 23rd?
Marufuji: It was from the back of my thighs to the base of my foot, the sound rang out.
Q: What do you mean the sound rang out?
Marufuji: I could hear it. I wonder if it was the same sound when it was my shoulder. Boom! The thighs were a click. I heard noises, then the sound of a gunshot rang out. At that moment my strength went, which was bad. After the match, I stood in front of Kiyomiya just imitating form
Q: There was no sign of that condition.
Marufuji: That's right
Q: When did you get injured?
Marufuji: The trace kick is when the sound rang out. I wonder if it had built up as it was used in each match.
Q: Was it regrettable that you didn't take part in the final match?
Marufuji: I am going to forget the 2018 year end party (laugh)
Q: Please tell me, because it is an interview (laugh). Anyway, your 20th anniversary debut year has been going well...
Marufuji: My body is older than I thought. I didn't want to feel like that, and I thought I could deal with it myself. The night I was injured was really tough. I was with Yone and Sugiura that night, and although I was wearing a bandage to suppress the internal bleeding, my leg rapidly swelled. I couldn't drink alcohol, I couldn't eat, I couldn't walk, I couldn't sit. I thought this was impossible. Although we were in Yokohama, I called for a car at around 5AM and went home (laugh). I couldn't drive because I couldn't sit. It was hard to breathe because of the pain in my leg. It hurt more than before, and I was crying in pain for a while in the hotel room. It was the first time I had cried in pain; I couldn't sleep, stand, sit, I couldn't do anything.
Q: How did you feel when you heard that Kiyomiya had won "Global League 2018"?
Marufuji: Well...my impression is that he is someone who has luck and timing on his side in a way. On that day Kohei, Nakajima and Kenoh were stronger and they are also terrifying. But, he eventually won. I wonder how. Kiyomiya certainly had several walls to climb.
Q: He then defeated Sugiura and became GHC Heavyweight champion?
Marufuji: I cannot do anything with youth and momentum, so I use brute force, he just won by youth and momentum. Then there is the cheering of the fans. Wrestling is a magical place. There is an impression among the younger wrestlers who have come out in recent years, that it means you are not a wrestler if you don't have it.
Q: Your record of the youngest GHC Champion has been broken?
Marufuji: Records are there to be broken. I don't mind, its not a problem.
Q: How do you view Kiyomiya?
Marufuji: Its not unusual for fans to cheer young wrestlers. Its not sarcastic to say he is pure, even though I vomit at the odor of, "please rise with me". I mean, he has youth and that image suits him well, but he isn't fresh. In the past, I feel that I was, and I understood that there was a part of me which would have difficulty somehow in the future, especially since I had obstacles I had to face.
Q: Such as?
Marufuji: Well, that has been my experience. The people around me possess it, and I will do still more.
Q: Yokohama is a big obstacle.
Marufuji: I don't mind about imposing a variety of impressions. I don't have anything to learn from him.
Q: Do you feel like it has been something left to everyone else for your current school? (rough)
Marufuji: No, I don't want to leave it to others, its good to leave it to its natural course, because there are many things to learn, which I think he should learn throughout the match.
Q: Its too early for the belt for now.
Marufuji: Yes..but its not too early though, because he won it.
Q: Do you think things change as champion?
Marufuji: I think on the contrary when you have a belt, you can see the feelings versus wrestling, that is perhaps when you can see the modest part. There are people who misunderstand what it means to have the belt, someone may be a champion, but he is trying to hold his position. I have a favorable impression of that from my own seniors.
Q: Kiyomiya was once like that.
Marufuji: I think he's grown up pure since childhood, hasn't he?
Q: At what point did you notice him as a professional wrestler?
Marufuji: There was a good impression. How fast he has grown has been unexpected though. I don't know whether you would call it talent, or if you would call it effort, but he is someone who has something special.
Q: In what area?
Marufuji: Intuition. He is different. Its not about how his body is, or how he springs, or from that perspective about his speed. But, maybe, because he is so young, it could be the peak of his wrestling. I said earlier that as he grew, I would notice the walls that I would collide with, and I can respond to it, and the peak of the hill will rise. Because I like wrestling, there has never been a hard time.
Q: You have been outspoken about the impression of getting over the wall?
Marufuji: I did not get over with being outspoken! I crawled up!
Q: You overcame it easily in terms of image.
Marufuji: It was "hop step*" before getting over, I didn't think I had to show it to others. The customer is pleased to see the jump, and they hope to be shown growth. Aside from that, I don't think I did that. Its a strange way to put it I know, but because of my love of wrestling, I don't think I have had any difficulties.
Q: You are doing what you love.
Marufuji: Everyone thinks so. I think it will be hard for me when I cannot. I love pro-wrestling.
Q: In terms of situations, I think that this is similar to Mitsuharu Misawa's challenge to you as GHC Heavyweight Champion in December 2006.
Marufuji: I don't know what will happen to be honest, in this world. I had envisioned myself to challenge Mitsuharu Misawa as champion someday, it was the reverse situation.
Q: Kiyomiya has not challenged you as the champion, you are in the same position as Misawa was at that time.
Marufuji: Yes, there may be something similar.
Q: How did you feel at the time?
Marufuji: Desperate. (The rest does not translate well, but he says something like that the legends were all around him, and back then, Noah had guys who were built like tanks)...in such circumstances I immediately dropped the belt, but I felt that the pressure I was under to fight for the belt was normal.
Q: You went through it without too much difficulty?
Marufuji's answer doesn't translate well, but the interviewer points out he was "challenged by his mentor".
Marufuji: I had taken the belt from Akiyama, and before that I had singles matches with Taue and Kobashi. What a happy pro-wrestling life.
Q: It's a situation particular to that time, but what kind of things did you think when you lost the belt to Misawa?
Marufuji: It was a shock like a bell, and to my own disappointment I saw clearly that it wasn't yet enough. However, I had self confidence for the future.
Q: During the match, people were calling for Misawa.
Marufuji: The "Misawa" call (laugh). In a way, it was a plus that the customers had to support Misawa.
Q: Your presence was getting bigger?
Marufuji: There was no choice but to seize it. I guess it was ironic though as the customers thought that Misawa took the belt, but I thought they wanted another flower to bloom. I thought it was genuine, so I transformed in my own way. When you recover from that, it gets stronger and returns.
Q: What do you think of the audience support this time?
Marufuji: As I said when I made my challenge, everyone in the venue will be behind Kiyomiya. Still, I am confident that I will win...I am not telling you to support me.
Q: Why are you so confident?
Marufuji: So far, there has been no losing factor. With the exception of age, when he defeated Sugiura, he knocked down various people during the league, pushed ahead with momentum and took the belt. Since taking it, he has defended it against Masa Kitamiya, a strong wrestler. But as I say, the momentum was higher at the time of the league, and that part still resonates. There was more momentum when he took the belt from Sugiura than now. So no, I don't feel like losing at all.
Q: You have momentum too?
Marufuji: When I have been absent, I will return stronger than ever; like a Saiyan from Dragon Ball. I'm not joking. I know what it means to do so.
Q: So that makes your absence a plus?
Marufuji: That is the positive condition in this. After all, I was injured and it was imbued with a feeling of a negative connection. Now I think I can have a match without worrying, and concentrate on my opponent. Not only Kiyomiya, but Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenoh, Kitamiya and others that are growing up to rival me (rough)...since they have appeared, I finally realize what its like to be told about being able to deliver what others always said to be to be excited about other promotions, compared to my own and myself.
Q: There was the same feeling last year at "Global League 2018", rivals have grown into existence within the promotion?
Marufuji: I guess I just barely made it in time.
Q: That sounds like a Saiyan too.
Marufuji laughs
Q: What is your prayer for Noah now? (rough)
Marufuji: The younger guys come out, and raise the nice atmosphere. Among the new chapters of Noah, I think this new style will show the best condition to date in the ring. The new business is the last one. How many times, how many new times until now?
Q: What is different from the past is from the minus where Misawa passed away or something has collapsed, this is a start from that this time...
Marufuji: It is all very positive.
Q: Moreover, it is said that your return is great timing, you are someone with that something.
Marufuji: It is like Sun Goku* appearing in a crisis. Words are extreme, but I am not anxious, it is all about taking the belt for now.
Q: Before talking about Noah's new style, I'd like to talk about the era, are you aware that you will not be handing it to Kiyomiya?
Marufuji: What is this era? This may be a difficult part of it, but I have been with Noah since the time it was inaugurated, I cannot give it up easily, and it cannot be changed easily. I don't want it to change, but if I have to change, then I want you to. If I were just to hand it over, then there will be a minus zero, and Noah will soon be 20 years old.

Regarding finishing up about Kiyomiya and eras, Marufuji says that Kiyomiya might have taken the belt from Sugiura, but it hasn't changed anything, Sugiura is still strong.
The interviewer says that he is happy that Marufuji and Sugiura are the walls of Noah, and Marufuji says that such simple words of "The face of Noah is me" or "I will not hand over the era" will not make a change so easily.
"I am confident about that, and I take pride in what I have done"

They then discuss the new company.

Q: I mentioned this a little while ago, but Noah has become a new regime. The new company are Lidet.
Marufuji: I talked with President Suzuki of Lidet, and Noah's President Fuwa. They are working hard in Noah, and so we have to respond well to that, without depending on others.
Q: Well, I guess those who want to raise Noah, will work hard, so I think you will have to make more efforts and put more thought into it than ever before. The guidelines of isolation, have also been indicated.
Marufuji's answer doesn't really translate well, but I think he indicates that Noah will stick with what they have.
Q: Last year, a lot of offers came from not only Japan, but all over the world.
Marufuji: I want to come back to Noah with it, and people see the heart, and raise it (rough).
Q: What about "leaving behind Misawa"?
Marufuji: There are very few people now who knew Misawa, and I think it is important to hold an event to remember him, and new owner is fine with that. After all, Noah fans cherish the old days. What they say might be extreme, but I don't want any anxiety over it.
Q: It is properly cherished
Marufuji: Naturally. I can say it with confidence, and I want you to have peace of mind. As long as I, Sugiura, Ogawa and others are at Noah, then that feeling will not go. Half the wrestlers did not meet him, and for them to say "Mr. Misawa" is unwise.
Q: Kiyomiya admires Misawa
Marufuji: Admiration is one thing, but we are not in that period anymore with the thoughts and contact with Misawa. Its admirable that he has such feelings, but as long as you don't force the infusion on the surface, it can be felt. In a manner of speaking, "Leaving Misawa" is extreme, but it is the company's way of creating new things, although worrying, its the action and an attitude that is going to change, and that is why I am excited. Maybe its bad for Kiyomiya, but the perspective is different. 
Q: Finality
Marufuji: I am thankful to the people who created this environment, and there will be a definite influence on the ring as emotions grow. I guess Noah will get more and more fun.
Q: And that champion will be...?
Marufuji: It will be me. I will be at my best too. I have started to think about it; why do you want it? How do you feel about it? I only have to wrestle now, as my break out period was long ago. Now I have more of the persuasiveness part, its not so great for Kiyomiya, but the level is a bit different. Its not the same as I had, but I would like him to grow up genuinely.
Q: To that end, you will become the wall?
Marufuji: Crossing the mountains and falling into the valley, climbing up the cliff... from the bottom of my heart, I want him to be a champion wrestler that can create further things for the fans.
The interviewer says something like, you want to leave home in good hands.
Marufuji: That's right. Its not just Kiyomiya. There is the younger generation too, maybe the cloaked hero will revolutionise (laugh).
Q: So to finish up, it is said that KENTA has left the WWE?
Marufuji: He can't do anything for about three months.
Q: So...
Marufuji: No one will be able to tie him down, he'll do the wrestling that he wants to do and where he wants to do it, as a professional he naturally wants money. I think he has learned a lot in the US, and although I don't know where he will go, I will say this, Noah is very exciting now. The fans are cheering. I guess because of this era, maybe he will not come back to Japan (laugh), because of Maru (rough).
Q: He is a notable wrestler.
Marufuji: Isn't that the epitome of being a pro-wrestler? Within three months, the conditions and the appropriateness will be better.
Q: Have you spoken about the speculation and the rumors?
Marufuji: I do not teach. This is the real pleasure of wrestling (laughs)

*Subluxation: partial dislocation
*Contusion injury: A contusion, commonly known as a bruise, is a type of hematoma of tissue in which capillaries are damaged by trauma, causing a localized internal bleeding that extravasate into the surrounding interstitial tissues.
*Hop step (jump)
*Sun Goku (Japanese) or Sun Wukong (Chinese), is better known to western audiences as "Monkey" from "Journey to the West" or "Monkey Magic".
* Maru-Chan: Marufuji was called "Fujimaru" or "Maru" by Misawa, and in Noah he is known variously as "Michi-san", "Maru-chan" or with fans (especially western) as "Maru"

Picture credit: Weekly Pro

Comments