(NOAH) "Unorthodox" in the USA, the real reason behind a "Revolution" with Kotoge ~ interview with Eddie Edwards

23rd February 2019
Noah.co.jp

Eddie Edwards (Impact Wrestling), who returned to the Noah mat at the Tokorozawa event the previous night, started his career as a Noah trainee, and made a leap forward based on the "Noah Style" of Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi.
In 2017 he also became the first gaijin GHC Heavyweight champion, but his fighting style has changed drastically in about a year after returning to America.
In Tokorozawa he came to the match with unshaven and wearing a tank top.
Although the GHC Heavyweight tag challenge has passed due to Kotoge's injury, the story behind Kotoge and "Revolution" has mutual resonance.

Q: What is it like being back in Japan after a while?
EDWARDS: It's good. Its been a year and two months since I lost the title to Kenoh. Actually, last year I had a broken nose and eye injury, but its better and I'm in good condition.

Q: You broke your face?
EDWARDS: I was injured by a (baseball) bat when I was attacked during a match, but fortunately, I did not have to have surgery, so it was okay. I had to take a rest for about a month and a half.

Q: Are you looking to plant your roots on Noah's mat again?
EDWARDS: Of course, I am happy. Moreover, since I have not been here for more than a year, both Noah and IMPACT have had changes, and I am glad that the relationship has restarted in this way.

Q: And you care about Noah?
EDWARDS: Yeah, even though there have been long periods of time when I have not been in Noah, but I always checked what is going on. That is why I am always happy to be invited. Once I came out as a Ring of Honor wrestler, and although I come out as an Impact wrestler, in Noah, when I am here, I am a Noah wrestler. After all, these are my roots, because it is my second home.

Q: You had planned to challenge with Kotoge for the GHC Heavyweight Tag Championships this time, but it has had to have been stopped due to Kotoge's injury?
EDWARDS: Yeah, I did want to be tag champion with Kotoge. I've never had a GHC tag belt, and I've always wanted to capture it, but due to the injury, it can't be helped. Although it was not meant to be this time, I think Kotoge and I will have a chance at any time in the future.

Q: Why do you agree with Kotoge's "Revolution?"
EDWARDS: I knew there was a change in Kotoge. I always follow the information about Noah, but I resonate with "Revolution", because it resonates with me, I have made a "change", and changed by style.

Q: Wrestling Moose barefoot, striking Tommy Dreamer with a bamboo cane, facing Sami Callihan in a Street Fight, speaking passionately on the microphone like Atsushi Onita...last year, there was a big change in style.
EDWARDS: Yes, the chance came when I was missing due to injury, like I said earlier, and I tried changing it very much. Up until now I had a orthodox wrestling style, but I expanded by trying hardcore and had a street fight. I basically kept the old style as my base, but fused it. The costume also changed a little, and now I come to matches with a bamboo sword and I wanted to prove that I am able to change. I also wanted to prove that "I can change". By spicing it up, it is possible to correspond to every opponent, every situation. That is why I thought it would be interesting for the "New" Kotoge and the "New" Eddie to tag.

Q: Kotoge has spiced it up with "cheerfulness" and "comedy", but did you have confidence that you could cause a chemical reaction by combining?
EDWARDS: Exactly, but while Kotoge is being comical, I will keep the solid wrestling base, and do it when the time comes. On that point he is the same as me, I am thinking of "Revolution".

Q: By the way, where is the Bamboo cane?
EDWARDS: I haven't bought it with me this time (laugh)

Q: On the 24th February the card has been changed for you to fight Masa Kitamiya?
EDWARDS: Although I lost to Kitamiya last time when I challenged him, but it was still at a level where I kept the position of top challenger. I think I can confirm my position by wrestling him. I want to prove that I should also be in the same position as him (rough translation). I have great respect for Kitamiya, and we will do our best together.

Q: It seems that the relationship between Noah and IMPACT will also be rebuilt?
EDWARDS: It is good for the IMPACT wrestlers to come to Noah, and that I think it is significant for the Noah ones that they can go to IMPACT. Its good especially for the younger athletes, and from here we will build a new relationship again with a synergistic effect that gives good results to both Noah and IMPACT.

Link to original article from Noah.co.jp
Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments