(NOAH) Double challenge for the GHC titles, Sugiura's peak at 49 years old

8th May 2019
Tokyo Sports

On the 7th May, Noah announced that Takashi Sugiura (48), who won Global Tag League, will challenge the GHC Heavyweight Champion, Kaito Kiyomiya (22) at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo on June 9th.
At the Edion Arena, Osaka, on the 13th he will team with KAZMA SAKAMOTO (36) and challenge the GHC Heavyweight tag champions, Katsuhiko Nakajima (31) and Go Shiozako (37). King Shame, who will be 49 on the 31st of this month, has stolen the leading role.

While teaming with SAKAMOTO, Sugiura demonstrated his strength in the Global Tag League championship match (4th May). He won the victory by making Nakajima tap out. In the official Global Tag League match, he choked out Kiyomiya, which led to his challenge for the championship.
"I am blessed as a wrestler. I want the younger generation to be aware that I am 49 years old, and involved in the championships".

Noah's parent company changed in February, and Noah became a new organisation.
"I am a company dog. Yes. I can wrestle because of this company. It's only natural." He then bowed and added, "I still will not hand over my era."

"The amount of exercise I did when I was young, is not possible anymore, but now having matches is the most fun and enriching. The double challenge has been decided, and the motivation is rising with it. Because my debut was at 30 years old, I am 10 years young. How will it be when I am 60? I have no doubt that my heyday will come after the age of 50. It is now I start to get into my stride."

There is also ambition.
If he captures both the GHC titles after winning the GHC Tag League, this will become the "Yearly Grand Slam" that will follow last years loss to Kiyomiya (rough).
In addition, Global League (GL) which is held to decide the strongest standing, has evolved this year into the "N-1 Victory" (starts August 18th in Nagoya). Should he win that at the age of 49, he should be called the symbol of the newborn Noah. In 2016, Minoru Suzuki at 48 years and 5 months, achieved the eldest victory record in Global League in 2016, should Sugiura achieve the win, it will become an unbeatable achievement.
"I would be thrilled if that happened. I don't think the rebirth equals youth. If the old man can get the record, he can leave a name for eternity."
It seems that he was already convinced of victory.

The last was about "Kiyomia growing steadily" of which he calmly analyzed, "how can you build a relationship of trust with our customers?"
He then asked for a business card from Tokyo Sports as he was dissatisfied about a reporter asking about Kiyomiya, so he began to talk about the highlights of the match.

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports (in Japanese)
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports

Comments