(NOAH) GHC Champion Kiyomiya builds a golden age

Tokyo Sports Web
1st May 2019

With the arrival of a new era, the battle on the world of the mat for the new ace has begun.
Among the many pro-wrestlers that are expected to be one of the top candidates is Kaito Kiyomiya (22), who won Tokyo Sports "Fighting Spirit Award". In December he won the GHC Heavyweight Championship, the youngest in history, and successfully defended it three times. He young champion swears to build up the "Kiyomiya era" in Reiwa, with the biggest goal to be to return Noah once again to the position of a leader within the industry.

Q: What is your sense of the new era of Reiwa?
KIYOMIYA: In the Showa era it was the time of Rikidozan, Giant Baba, and Antonio Inoki. In the Heisei era, there are seniors who have established themselves.

Q: New Japan's era was the "Three Musketeers" (Masahiro Chono, Keiji Mutoh, Shinya Hashimoto), All Japan had the "Four Heavenly Kings" (Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada). Heisei began with the "Three Musketeers".
KIYOMIYA: What I am aiming for is "first". In later years when people speak of the era and say, "the first in Reiwa", I would like to have established a golden era were everyone says "Kiyomiya". I want to hit my stride when I am 30, this is the number one realization as a wrestler. I don't want to rely on Marufuji or Sugiura. I want to make my own era by myself.

Q: In February, LIDET ENTERTAINMENT became the parent company of Noah
KIYOMIYA: Marufuji spoke of a clear goal, "first of all, becoming a solid second in the industry." To raise Noah to the first place, I think that is my role. I broke through the generational change. As the champion, I would like to create the image of a champion who does not fail to live up to the promotions image.

Q: On the 2nd November Sumo Hall will be held for the first time in seven years.
KIYOMIYA: I will stand in the main, after all, I will have to defend there. Naturally, I would like to return to the Nippon Budokan. Noah held events there four to five times a year since its founding (August 2000), and after the match the fans would breathe "wow" as they surged towards the ring, screaming the names of the wrestlers who won in the main event. I think that is the landscape of the original Noah.

Q: Returning to The Budokan is also what Kenoh (34) has been saying
KIYOMIYA: "The Holy Land" is not the Tokyo Dome but the Budokan. As a fan I was deeply moved by that place, so I have the conviction. And...I have a skill, which I am thinking about, I wonder if I should name it "REIWA". It is a technique that has been used for the finish at the last major event. I think I have used it only once, so when I go into the next big match, I am going to give it a regal name.

Q: Other than being in the ring, what about other things, marriage for example?
KIYOMIYA: I have no plans. It is quite sad that there is nothing (laughs). I have to be a good adult before that. The childish part is still there. I get drunk... from now on I think that relationships with superiors (and sponsors) will increase. I want to have good manners and a good way of speaking. I want to be a person with decorum. Please support Noah in the new era!

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports (in Japanese)
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports\Yahoo Japan

Comments