(NOAH) Naomichi Marufuji mini interview ahead of Global Jnr Tag League, and his return on the 28th May at Korakuen Hall.


Noah.co.jp
26th May 2019

Q: First of all, how is your condition?
MARUFUJI: It is getting better

Q: What did lumbar disc herniation feel like?
MARUFUJI: It happened the day after May 4th at Korakuen Hall. I was intense pain when I woke up. I wasn't able to breathe when I ran, and it got to the state when I couldn't stand...anyway, I was throbbing with pain. It's an understatement. I couldn't sleep for two days. As my lower back and my stomach hurt, I thought it was perhaps gallstones or my appendix? I went on the Internet in the middle of the night and saw various things which made me anxious. I went to the hospital and had it examined, but there was nothing abnormal in my organs. In fact, I did have a hernia three years ago, and the symptoms were the same at that time. Medication for ordinary pain, does not work with hernias, it is no use taking Loxoprofen or Diclofenac. The medicine for neuralgia works well, but it when I took it, I didn't feel much better. I was almost bedridden for five days (wry smile). I felt I recovered when I started getting the block injections* to my lower back.

Q: It sounds painful just listening to it.
MARUFUJI: Speaking of drastic side effects of block injection, did you know that you become constipated? I basically go ten times a day, but I was constipated for 4 days. It was like hell because it had accumulated to 40. In the end, I took the highest level of constipation drug, and almost caused anemia to my abs (laughs)

Q: The question remains as to whether that information was necessary, but the fact that it was serious has been made clear (laughs). So, what percent is your current condition?
MARUFUJI: I don't know! First of all, I haven't been 100% these past few years. But in wrestling I can see what my body is like, I can see that "this is dangerous" and when it like this I understand that, "I can't do this", and right now it is in that state.

Q: You will return at Korakuen Hall on the 28th and have a match against Kenoh and Kongoh
MARUFUJI: Aside from that, its just a group with a name. It's easy for me to understand what Kongoh wants to do, but its only Kenoh-Kun that is saying it. Good luck to all of you guys in Kongoh. It's no problem if you think you can surpass me because you have got together and given your unit a name.

Q: And Jinsei Shinzaki will be your partner on your return?
MARUFUJI: He is coming here! (Rough) When I debuted, Jinsei was in All Japan with Hayabusa, and with Misawa after matches we would go out for a meal. We were also on the tour bus together. He is a wrestler who I have deep emotion for. We were together for the first time in a long time at the Giant Baba memorial, and is it nice to be able to do it again as we have so few chances to be in the ring together.

Q: The other partner is Daisuke Harada, who you have recently had a quarrel with?
MARUFUJI: I don't like him much (laughs) Something of him smacks of KENTA (laughs).

Q:...It's hard to comment (laughs). In the previous tour, you had a squabble over corners when you entered?
MARUFUJI: I guess he came to pick a quarrel. Well, it's stealing the show when I decide to pick a fight, don't you think? That's right Kenoh.

Q: It seems that you are aware of Kenoh's comments on Twitter?
MARUFUJI: It's good to say it on Twitter, but I think that he should increase the number of followers so that it can reach further people (laughs).

Q: When you return on the 28th "Global Jnr Tag League 2019" will open. How do you see the tag line up of the Noah Jnrs?
MARUFUJI: I think that it is more enriched than thought. When I did it as a junior at that time there was KENTA, Ogawa, Sugiura, Kanemaru, Kotaro and so on. What is the quality of the current children compared to the era that I did it with those members? That is why I think there should be no restraint.

Q: It looks like you are being modest?
MARUFUJI: I'm sorry. I'm holding back. Maybe I shouldn't do this, maybe I should, it may cause bad thoughts. Can they really do more? It feels like they can (rest does not translate). I want them to take this tag league as an opportunity. When KENTA and I were juniors, we decided we would not lose matches, even to heavyweights.

Q: The juniors will take the leading role in this series.
MARUFUJI: That's right. People are coming for the juniors. It has to be packed.

Q: You can see the fullness of Noah's Jnr tags, out of the seven teams participating, two are debuting and the others are teams that have participated in the past.
MARUFUJI: It may be perfect as a tag, but it is a league match and if the content of the match lacks originality, there is no meaning behind it. If there is no sense given to the audience of a sense of anticipation and excitement such as "what is this tag going to show me this time?" instead of "I want to see this tag", it just becomes, "this tag again..."

Q: That is a profound opinion. So, what is the team that Marufuji will be watching?
MARUFUJI: As expected, HAYATA & YO-HEY.

Q: They are aiming for their third consecutive victory.
MARUFUJI: To a great extent, making customers feel is one way to go. However, it is meaningless to end with "They won again. Congratulations". What I said earlier could be applied to HAYATA & YO-HEY.

Q: Yoshinari Ogawa & Kotaro Suzuki will enter for the first time in nine years, and this time as the GHC Junior Tag Champions? They are the two people you knew very well in your junior era.
MARUFUJI: It's a nuisance isn't it? I don't have anything to say about them, but isn't it annoying for the other teams?

Q: What kind of form would the Noah juniors take if they should win?
MARUFUJI: It would be a bad thing. Ogawa is not going to be happy to hear this? (laughs). But, for wrestlers like the age that RATELS are, and who are very popular need to do it now, if they don't they will become an old man like me in a few years. Even for the young people who ate not in their thirties or so, even in the boom period of the early 20's (like Miyawaki), I want them to be aware that actually, you don't have much time.

Q: Please talk about the card and your expectation for the finals?
MARUFUJI: Not NOSAWA! (Laughs) Well, HAYATA & YO-HEY. I want Chris Ridgeway, who has come to Noah for the first time, to work hard. I don't want him to hold back, and hesitate to get angry as it is his first visit to Japan, the more you do, the more it will come out (rough). For Kumano and Chris, what about "Double K?"
Q: Chris is "Chris", so it can't be "Double K" (laugh)
MARUFUJI: Then that is no good (laughs). My prediction is HAYATA & YO-HEY vs Hitoshi Kumano & Chris Ridgeway. Kumano's team to win the championship.
Q: That would raise the stardom of Chris Ridgeway on his first visit to Japan, his first visit to Noah and first victory in Junior Tag league.
MARUFUJI: I am expecting him to be a singles wrestler.

Q: Finally, please give a comment to the fans for your return on the 28th.
MARUFUJI: I will return, and YO-HEY will also return. Under such circumstances, Noah's matches are rapidly rising, and I know it is a weekday but please do your best to come to the venue. We will do our best with all our energy for you throughout May, June, July and after. Everyone is welcome to come.

* Nerve Blocks. A nerve block is an injection to decrease inflammation or "turn off" a pain signal along a specific distribution of nerve. In laymans terms he had an epidural.

Link to original article from Noah.co.jp
Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments