Remaining with Noah for life ~ interview with Takashi Sugiura

("Weekly Pro", June 2019)

Q: On the 28th May your opponent went on Twitter before the pre-match yesterday and said, "the pre-match battle today was the first time I have had a disappointing experience in wrestling" (rough)
SUGIURA: Yesterday's match was a little...does my opponent understand the theme?
Q: It was Kiyomiya. Go Shiozaki was too aware of Suzuki (Hideki).
SUGIURA: What is it? Kaito cannot help that, so Shiozaki has to carry it out. Nakajima at least can see what is around him. Even if the match isn't a pre-match, its good to show an interest in new things and go for it. It may also be said, that I want you to keep in mind what happened for the match ahead.
Q: He is intense, but its the manner.
SUGIURA: That's right. The 9th June Korakuen is a prelude to the 13th June in Osaka. If the match wasn't good enough, then it was the same with the post-match microphone speech. Kaito grabbed the mic and said, "This was a double GHC pre-match, but Suzuki, please fight in Noah again." That is what he should say to the media backstage. The VRT is also a prelude to the pre-match, and had he said that after the pre-match, then the fans who came to see it would also say that it shook.
Q: What was important in what Kiyomiya said in the match?
SUGIURA: I know that a new and exciting wrestler will come out to fight, and that my feelings are highly strung about it, but on the 9th June it is a battle in Korakuen. This is crucial. I want it to be presented properly.
Q: Certainly, during the match and even after it, it is said that he put more emphasis on Suzuki rather than the defense of the belt.
SUGIURA: Someone who has come to see him for the first time would think so, but he has no experience, and it cannot be helped. The problem is Shiozaki. I want him to be a little more stable. Kaito often says that he is going to change the era, but what is not beneficial is having Shiozaki and Taniguchi by his side. Things would be very different if Shiozaki and Taniguchi were in my current position.
Q: Shiozaki was intense in his first match against Suzuki, you could see the strength which makes their future match more fun.
SUGIURA: That's okay, they are young. Should I take a more extensive view of it?
Q: So to continue on from Kiyomiya, Shiozaki referred to Suzuki, and the GHC pre-match faded. Because you were indignant, did you say anything after the match?
SUGIURA: No, I was waiting. I wondered what he was going to say, so I waited for a while. However, Kiyomiya got on the microphone and said addressed Suzuki, I thought it was hopeless. I waited for a while.
Q: Certainly
SUGIURA: AXIZ is also a pre-match, and and therefore there was excitement for Suzuki. (Next part doesn't translate well, but it can be roughly summed up to say come and watch it when the belt is defended). It's a good story to tell backstage. Well, its good to be said on the microphone, but I am impressed by Suzuki. It is regrettable that Shiozaki was so obstinate after the match. Katsuhiko is different from Kaito and Shiozaki though, he knows what it means to fight without deviation, and his character survives. I want Shiozaki to top the industry.
Q: It's also a point of interest in Puroresu
SUGIURA: It is in a sense. Whether it is in the countryside or a pre-match at Korakuen, for the customers who are coming to see it, you have to build up the match and think about what the meaning behind it is. In the match or on the microphone, you make the scene, and that is Shiozaki's opportunity (wry smile).
Q: Speaking of the use of the microphone in Noah, Kenoh stands out.
SUGIURA: He is easy to understand, so support gathers for him. After him, Masa Kitamiya is also direct with good communication. So, therefore, I could not change the era because of Shiozaki, Taniguchi and the other guys. What should be in front of Kaito, is missing.
Q: Why?
SUGIURA: That is what everyone says. Shiozaki has those features, that body, that movement, but he is a wrestler who wants to be top of the industry, rather than the top of Noah. He has that shine too.
Q: He looks cool, and has inherited the genes of Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi.
SUGIURA: I agree.
Q: However...?
SUGIURA: What do you think? You saw the same things yesterday.
Q: Since you were in the same corner, how is Hideki Suzuki in the Sugiura Army?
SUGIURA: After all, he is a heavyweight, and it is easy to work with a guy like that. When Suzuki is in the team, there is a broad width. Kaito came out in yesterday's match and said "come, come" to him (rest does not translate well)....there were parts when I tried Kaito too. Did you get that impression?
Q: I see
SUGIURA: When they were facing each other at the time, the moment the gong rang, Suzuki went to the middle of the ring.
Q: It is said that the champion stands in the middle of the ring, while the challenger goes round it.
 SUGIURA: I don't know if Kaito knows why, but he took a thunderous roll forward. Where there little things that came out? I still have to ask, because I think for future life, this experience will come. (Rest doesn't translate well, but he says something like Kiyomiya was intentionally mean to Suzuki).
Q: Immediately after the gong, the atmosphere was all Suzuki
SUGIURA: That's right
Q: And then you created it by taking a step ahead.
SUGIURA: After that, I got it.
The next question doesn't translate well, but the interviewer mentions about Suzuki and Shiozaki facing off against each other.
SUGIURA'S answer doesn't translate well either.
Q: Puroresu is a genre that can be expressed freely.
SUGIURA: Katsuhiko had Suzuki as his opponent, and truthfully, I didn't feel anything. He's cheeky though.
Q: Nakajima kept the contact with Suzuki to a minimum
SUGIURA: That's not something I can tell you.
Q: Did you feel that you wanted to face Suzuki?
SUGIURA: That happened. It's fun to team, and its fun to fight.
Q: I'm looking forward to the ground offense alone
SUGIURA: He is a partner with a different feeling to other wrestlers, he is a partner who gets it done. He is stubborn and strong-willed. Kiyomiya is good as he is.
Q: There is sill a lot of talk about yesterdays pre-match, and you will challenge for the second time for the GHC championship at Misawa's memorial?
SUGIURA: I've said it before, but its light music, two main events can take place in a special tournament.
Q: You lost the GHC Heavyweight to Kaito Kiyomiya last December, but then half a year later, comes the opportunity to re-challenge.
SUGIURA: I always try to get involved in the title early. A long time ago, the challenger was decided on suddenly, became stronger, and when the match was over, wanted to do it again. I always keep in mind that I can do it, and not to betray the expectations and trust. I never think "eh, it doesn't matter" when the challenge is made. I care about it.
Q: What do you think of the current champion, Kaito Kiyomiya?
SUGIURA: I think he has done well for his age
Q: He is still only 22
SUGIURA: What happens when he gets to thirty, or to my age? Despite how he looks, he is stubborn and has a strong will.
Q: In addition to the lovely looks, physical ability and sense of loyalty, there is also the attraction of youth.
SUGIURA: I'm looking forward to seeing how much he will change with experience. As it is I think he is good now, and I don't think there will be a problem from now on. He will experience a lot in the future, how will he change?
Q: It is also a great experience to be challenged by yourself at the Misawa Memorial Tournament.
SUGIURA: It would be nice if it became a turning point for him
Q: What do you think is the cause of defeat last February?
SUGIURA: I can't really sum it up in one word, but he didn't give up right until the end, and finally, it became his base.
Q: After taking the championship in March last year, you completely defeated all of the Super New Generation Army, but how did Kaito differ from the others?
SUGIURA: It is an advantage to take something desirable. I lead for a year, and even if you do your best only at the end, that is when you often go to wrestling awards. The impression is stronger in the second half than in the first half, and in that sense, I think it has been for him.
Q: You were not nominated last year, and Kiyomiya won the prize. Furthermore, when Noah became a new system, Kiyomiya became the face of the group.
SUGIURA: Yes. I just got on with it. Now, everyone is heading in the same direction. In the old days, the mood was bad.
Q: Kiyomiya has pulling power. Under such circumstances, the chance of a second title challenge has been arranged.
SUGIURA: Its like delicious bait hanging in front of me.
Q: This is the first time that you have ever been able to challenge for both singles and tag?
SUGIURA: I am jealous of the generation of Shiozaki and Taniguchi.
Q: On the 13th June in Osaka, you will face AXIZ, the tag team of Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima? What do you think of them as a team?
SUGIURA: They are not like a tag team (rough). If you watch the Global Tag League matches, Kitamiya & Inamura were the best team. AXIZ matches are demanding because of their individual skills. Regarding Shiozaki, with a certain significance, he may be a victim of Noah. I have seen Noah in the past fall down, take the wrong course and go wrong as a promotion. If I think about it now, if I think that a senior can bring up young Shiozaki and Taniguchi properly more than me...I have a feeling about it. Some seniors only gave bad wisdom. So now I am in the same position, and I always want to be careful when it comes to that. Marufuji and I are absolutely indistinguishable on that. We do not want to repeat mistakes.
Q: You can still wrestle against Shiozaki and the younger generation.
SUGIURA: In my era, I could not fight against Misawa or Kobashi for the title. This is good fortune. Facing Kiyomoya in this fight is lucky for him, and I hope I can pull that experience and he can inherit it (rough). Even Shiozaki can also be corrected. With that chop alone you can get...(note, the word doesn't translate, but it kind of means a painful slapstick). Trust is rising, and if you are in charge of Noah, I hope you feel you are secure. As a promotion, I want to include Shiozaki....Taniguchi, I would like to do more.
Q: A career of fourteen or fifteen years is a time when it is fulfilling for both the mind and the body
SUGIURA: It really is the best time
Q: Somehow, this interview seems to be just like speaking with the champion
SUGIURA: I think I should be more like the challenger. This is not an opinion as a challenger, but this is a view looking out from the whole of Noah.
Q: It is an extraordinary thing for Noah that a current wrestler like Sugiura has an extensive view
SUGIURA: Everyone is facing the same way now. Marufuji often says it on Twitter, but the atmosphere between the wrestlers, the staff and the ring staff is really good. We are all on the same course, and trying to create something good because the old Noah was in a bad situation (laugh).
Q: Besides that, Misawa died suddenly, Noah became chaotic and there were a large number of resignations and walk outs from major wrestlers.
SUGIURA: By that time, the backbone which was Misawa was gone, and I couldn't see Noah as a whole. (Next part doesn't translate well, but Sugiura basically says that on social media and in life, Noah is working well again)
Q: Finally, Pro Wrestling Noah is working well again as a promotion
SUGIURA: Noah had a new parent company, and I made a new contract. I decided to do everything for Noah in my remaining wrestling life. Once again, I will rebuild Noah.
Q: There are many things you can do as a wrestler, especially one that can see it as a whole.
SUGIURA: I'm going to be busy (wry smile), and I also have more to say than ever. Actually, it may be better to have a clear distinction when looking over the whole. I still have a desire as a wrestler...I haven't built my age yet (wry smile). The other day, Jinsei Shinzaki said "I am still only 52 years old". Exactly. "I am still only 49".
Q: Do you have any conflicts in your point of view about the layers and the whole? (rough)
SUGIURA (first part doesn't translate well, but Sugiura seems to say something like it is not going to be without trouble to retire and give his position to a junior)....I just have to do what I can with my ability. I don't think there is a need to defer.
Q: Kiyomiya has been on a defensive path since becoming GHC Heavyweight Champion.
SUGIURA: I want to snap it off before my nose starts stretching*, but he may not come to develop though. I want him to grow up honest, because there are no bad seniors in Noah now (laughs)
Q: Both Sugira and Noah will be celebrating 20 years in wrestling next year.
SUGIURA: I haven't thought about it yet. I want to have a 20th anniversary event as Noah.
Q: What about yourself?
SUGIURA: I guess. I'm still developing after 20 years.
Q: Kenta Kobashi said, "from the age of 50, you are in the springtime of your life".
SUGIURA: Even for me, when you get older, even a bit of giving up is bad (wry smile)
Q: The fans support you
SUGIURA: That is because I am laid bare. I wish Shiozaki would open up a little more, he came back thinking that he wanted to improve Noah. If he has that feeling then he should say it loudly. I wish he could transmit that he is going to protect Noah. How much preparation do you need to take responsibility?
Q: Now is the era when wrestlers can directly communicate with wrestlers on Twitter.
SUGIURA: I think Twitter is like doing pro-wrestling, especially in utilization. Now, if I talk in interviews with these weekly magazines, it only comes out once a week. If you use Twitter, you can send it directly in a second, and it will spread immediately. Its true, Twitter is life for puroresu. It is said that the brains of wrestling can develop it (rough).
Q: Because Marufuji is still in the ring.
Sugiura: When I first met him, I thought he was cool, but that is his nature. In that way, he has not changed since he was younger.
Q: That is no lie, If it was, it would be exposed to the pro wrestling fans.
SUGIURA: I can't have something like that. Commitment is not seen from just words and attitude. After joining the Suzuki Army, I became able to see everything as one.
Q: When did Sugiura start to emerge in the match?
SUGIURA: There have been various points, but recently I have been wondering if it was when I went to the Suzuki Army. At that time, I was able to look at myself objectively, and it was also possible to see NO AH itself objectively by having become a heel. The customers would think differently and see the whole too when I did this. At the end of it I was stronger, as I was a whole.
Q: Taniguchi taking off the mask was unexpected
SUGIURA:....What is this? He did not create anything alone, and companies in general are subject to restructuring. There is no contribution, and no ideas. Nothing happened.
Q: That's harsh (laughs). But I'm talking about recently, and how the first improvement has come across.
SUGIURA: Until now I have been worried, as the parent company had gone. Up until now, I had to think about the future of my family rather than thinking about the future of NOAH. The anxiety went, and I began to put all my passion back into NOAH. As I said earlier, its a place where I can spend the rest of my wrestling life.
Q: At last it has become an environment where you can compete as a promotion
SUGIURA: I want a strong newcomer to enter who is below Kiyomiya to threaten his existence, and coming out along with Shiozaki, Taniguchi and Nakajima, there is more depth as a promotion.
Q: There are more than 20 wrestlers affiliated with Noah.
SUGIURA: The juniors are enriched with Daisuke Harada at the core. He has made his era as a Noah junior. Yesterday, there was the victory over Kotoge. Speaking of Kotoge, and also Taniguchi, the two of them are heading in a direction that nobody knows quickly (laughs). The two of them have always been at a loss, its better they open up and make their characters. Other promotions have to do this to survive, we only have to keep the match quality.
Q: Well, you can bring in the character later. The match content seems to be more intense since Noah became a new system, and it seems that fierce matches of more than 5 minutes often happens in the semis and mains.
SUGIURA: Well, I can't speak for other groups, but Noah is all about the match content. That is the way of the promotion, and that is what we convey. A lot of new things have been incorporated, but the center of Noah is the match contents.
Q: With the peace of mind about the parent company being robust, you can work in the ring on relationships
SUGIURA: I am on the way to lighting up my vision, and I am working hard towards it. It is great, isn't it? The bad atmosphere comes out in the shop, and the attitude towards sales, but I am not worried. You can comment if you think its different.
Q: It's a big statement because the current Noah is heading in the right direction, isn't it?
SUGIURA: I'm wagging my tail (laughs)
Q: The 10th anniversary of the 13th June has come round quickly
SUGIURA: I want to build a Noah that can give Misawa peace of mind. The current Noah is like this, and we are all going in the same direction. I think it will happen.

*Like Pinocchio, his nose grows when he tells a lie.

Image credit - Weekly Pro

Comments