"Return to origins" Kiyomiya's hometown return for fifth defense against Nakajima

24th July 2019
Tokyo Sports

Noah's GHC Heavyweight champion, Kaito Kiyomiya (23) has made a strong resolution towards his fifth defensive match (Kultz Kawasaki, Kanagawa) against Katsuhiko Nakajima (31). Before the match he made a successful "return to origins" in Saitama, his hometown when he was a child. The young champion, regaining his passionate spirit, is aiming at the top of the wrestling world with this defeat.

Kiyomiya is prepared for the ruthless kick of Nakajima, and the rough defensive method he uses. Kiyomiya says "He is an opponent with a unique style in Noah, and we probably will not meet well." He emphasized that, "I think this will be different from the previous fights, but in order to further awaken, I want to drive myself and be prepared for this fight".

Since winning the championship last December, he has succeeded in four defenses so far, including defeating the top two in the promotion, Naomichi Marufuji (39) and Takashi Sugiura (49).
His awareness as champion has increased more than ever, and he aims for a daily evolution. As part of this, he will never forget to look back on his past.
"I am trying to look back on where it all started. When I had the time, I spent time in places that I visited when I was little. It has been my dream to be a professional wrestler since my childhood. When I returned to those places and the time I spent there, I can remember how I felt in those days. So, why did I enter Noah?"

The reason he chose Noah in March 2015 after graduating from High School was simple, "because it is the best promotion".
Having confirmed that feeling again he says, "As champion I have to make Noah the number one biggest promotion in Japan. In order to do that, I have to be at the top of the wrestling world".

On the 14th he visited a festival in Saitama.
"For the first time in a while, I was able to meet and greet people who I have known from my childhood, who revealed episodes from long ago like when I became very upset on a Mikoshi*. I was glad to hear that everyone was saying, that my "body is getting bigger", "please do your best" and "please defend". The pure power at the festival came to me. This is also my first defense at 23, and I will win."

For both himself and for Noah, he will break through the demon gate* for the future of the group.

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports (in Japanese)
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports

*Mikoshi: Portable shrine (or palanquin) used in festivals to transport the deity between the main shrine and another shrine. 
*Traditionally this word was used to indicate the northeast direction on a compass, as it is where demons enter and leave from (interestingly, in Christianity the north side of a church is said to be demonic). In slang, it means something that is likely to have bad consequences, so in this case it means that Kiyomiya will break Noah's curse of bad luck. 

Comments