Kobashi "I will never forget Race's words, "You are Mr.Puroresu"

Tokyo Sports
3rd August 2019

It was announced on the 1st August (2nd by Japanese time) that Harley Race (76) had died of complications from lung cancer.
Kenta Kobashi (52), who knew Race from the All Japan wrestling era, couldn't hide the surprise of his early death.

Reflecting on Race, Kobashi, who has been watching professional wrestling since childhood said, "NWA reminds me of Harley Race. World Champion, reminds me of Harley Race".
He remembers the longing gaze for the belt during the fight in the NWA against Giant Baba and Jumbo Tsuruta.

When he was a newcomer, he had fought against Race in a six man tag match, "I remember that it was a return match from a traffic accident. At that time, I felt the style of the great wrestler, and the NWA champion. I feel that having experienced this match has given life to my professional wrestling life".

After wrestling in World League Wrestling (WLW) in 2005, in the ring after the championship match, Harley Race wrapped the NWA belt around his waist saying, "You are Mr. Puroresu".
He has not forgotten that excitement, even now.

"As a boy I used to make my own imitation belt by using drawing paper and cookie cans. It was really moving to put on the NWA belt".
(Kobashi then says something that can be summarized as like Baba, Race had lived a hard life and it showed, and sometimes he couldn't smile, but his countenance was impressive).

He is sorry to say goodbye to a great champion.

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports

Comments