"G-1 Climax" and "Champion Carnival", I want to bring it to the same level as these two." ~ N-1 VICTORY Kenoh interview

Weekly Pro
August 2019

Q: Participation in N-1 VICTORY has been decided.
KENOH: I learned that I was appearing at the same time as the fucking fans did. I thought I would have to come out by myself, but the company...honestly, because of LIDET ENTERTAINMENT, I didn't know if I was going to be able to.
Q: It will be a league of ten carefully selected wrestlers
KENOH: Do you know how much Kongoh is oppressed outside the ring? However, everyone in the ring is equal. All that remains is the result.
Q: In Kongoh, only Yoshiki Inamura has not been entered.
KENOH: I don't know what the intention is, but squeezing out ten people and putting five people into one block, isn't one block of ten people good? Well, anyway, in a block of five people, even if you lose once then advancing to the finals may be quite dangerous. I have to take it match by match without losing, I have to concentrate on that. Anyway, now most of the heavyweights selected have entered, but why has it been limited this year? Well, an entry means that you have leave results in your daily fight. I'm happy to say that I will be in the N-1.
Q: There are pros and cons about the non participation of the GHC Heavyweight champion, Kaito Kiyomiya
KENOH: The "N-1 VICTORY" is not a league that will determine the strongest Noah singles wrestler, that has become "The N-12: The Road to Kiyomiya". The GHC heavyweight championship is the league match for the next challenger. The singles have been since March 2nd in the match against Kinya Okada.
Q: That is sharp luck (rough)
KENOH: Even though despite that, well the champion has said "I am not appearing". If you want to make Noah interesting then that phrase should not come out. Is this what that asshole's "new scenery" is? Noah has to have a stimulating place. I don't think it's fun to have no champion in the league. Even before the second announcement, Kiyomiya said "I will not go out" (the rest does not really translate well, but he basically says that Kiyomiya said he was not entering the competition before the announcement, and the company let him, where others would not)...both New Japan and All Japan in the "G-1 Climax" and the "Champion Carnival", will have their champion. Kiyomiya said, "I am thinking not only about now, but about the larger future of Noah", but is he scared of losing in the league? Losing at N-1, does not mean he will lose the GHC Heavyweight belt. He is the champion, it is important to go into the league and show the fans an emotional battle that touches them. But you, you just want to do your single. When such an attitude comes and goes, the pro-wrestler is finished. Speaking more specifically, I come close to the MVP of the "Puroresu Grand Prix" if I win the N-1 championship, that he would like to take. He can't have it. Honestly, I think the idea wears very thin.
Q: Tough as usual
KENOH: The last defense was in Kawasaki on the 27th July, the next is at Sumo Hall on the 2nd November? Do you understand what it means not to have a title match for more than three months? It means that Noah's leading product, the GHC Heavyweight Championship, is not going out in front of the fans. I think the company is giving Kiyomiya his own way.
Q: But, if you are champion....
KENOH: Of course, if you win as the champion then both the value of the GHC and the value of N-1 will increase. On the 16th September, I want to be in the main event in Osaka. Well, Kiyomiya is spoiled by the company, and this is something that has been done in various ways. I have been saying this for a long time, but since they have been spoiling Kiyomiya, selfishness has appeared. Even in show business he would be a self important star. I have to break the current vicious cycle, I will win the N-1, and break his curse. 
Q: Q: What do you think the significance is about Kiyomiya's actions?
KENOH: It doesn't matter. I am so disappointed both with Kiyomiya and the company, I don't want to think about it.
Q: Kiyomiya said that since becoming the GHC Heavyweight Champion last December, he has "been producing results"
KENOH: That is the most annoying. I haven't had the belt since March. I know what I have done isn't persuasive, because I haven't made any results. I'm just blowing smoke, I lost to Kiyomiys in January of this year. In the Twitter comments I was told, "only champion of GHC History", and I was unexpectedly convinced.
Q:.....
KENOH: I talk about it in my serial, so read page 57. Certainly, now I'm out of the title front, but there are a large number of tag matches assembled. I don't even think there will be a thrilling match. The last single was against Kinya Okada on March 2nd. You can see how I have been deprived by the company, and as a professional wrestler, it is important that I show this in my matches. I will make good my promise from the start of N-1.
Q: Then the singles match on the 20th August in Fukuoka with Taniguchi, will be the first singles match in about 5 months?
KENOH: I may have forgotten how to fight one on one (bitter smile). It was a joke. It is good my opponent is Taniguchi. He Kiyomiya's tag partner, and I can hit him with all my anger towards him.
Q: You have a good opponent
KENOH: Because Kiyomiya has spare time, it is put secondly on Taniguchi. If you look at the next series of cards, he has a lot of easy matches, while we fight tough league ones.
Q: Please say that again...
KENOH: The Heayvweight is exciting in a single league match, so what is his "new scenery" to do with having a ten person tag match? He might as well just watch the official matches from A & B at head office sitting with the GHC Heavyweight belt on his shoulder.
Q: What do you think about the block division?
KENOH: It is clear that the company conspiracy and Marufuji's power behind the scenes are coming into play. To be honest I wanted to be in the same block as Marufuji and Sugiura.
Q: You are in the same block as Mochizuki from Dragon Gate.
KENOH: It was interesting when we fought last time. He is not a Noah person, so I will enjoy winning the fight. He is an experienced veteran, so he will have many drawers. I think that fighting with him in a single and defeating him one more time, I can become stronger.
Q: Just like last year, you are in the same block as Nakajima?
KENOH: I don't want a character I don't understand that is going to run, I want him to receive all of my attacks. I know his ability. No one wants to see someone who runs. Bring the old Nakajima.
Q: He is the last GHC Heavyweight challenger, and the current tag champion.
KENOH: This year I have been pulling the tag title front towards me, and I have challenged for the single. He doesn't have more flair than me. With a belt language is more persuasive. If I win this match then my persuasiveness will also increase. It is the last official match, and its going to be an important one.
Q: What about A block?
KENOH: Marufuji and Sugiura, who have the power of backstage politics, have run from me. Currently, Kongoh and The Sugiura Army are at full war, so why are Sugiura and I in different blocks? I want to win the final round with either Marufuji or Sugiura.
Q: Noah's "N-1 VICTORY" will start after New Japan's "G-1 CLIMAX".
KENOH: Compared to New Japan's "G-1 CLIMAX" and All Japan's "CHAMPION CARNIVAL", there is a difference between heaven and earth when considering the name valuation. The name of the league has been changed from "Global League", and in the first round, I want to have an exciting match. I want to establish Noah's "N-1" league matches. Now, we have the "G-1 Climax" and "Champion Carnival", and "N-1 VICTORY". First of all, I want to bring it to the same level as these two. I want N-1 to resound the most.
Q: If Kenoh himself does not get clear results soon, he will not be able to stop the decline in centripetal power.
KENOH: I will make good my promise from the start of the N-1!

(Translated from an article in Weekly Pro, August 2019)
Picture credit: Weekly Pro

Comments