FIST OF YOUTH "OVERCOMING MANY DIFFICULTIES" ~ INTERVIEW WITH KENTA KOBASHI (PART 3)

Pro Wrestling Noah, a new land. We would like to talk about what kind of scenery the green mat was as selected by Kobashi, and the era of Pro Wrestling Noah when he reigned as absolute champion. 

In June 2000, there was an earthquake in the wrestling world. The majority of wrestlers, including Mitsuharu Misawa, who was the ace of All Japan wrestling and the president at the time, left the promotion and Pro Wrestling Noah was launched. At the time Kenta Kobashi was Triple Crown champion, he vacated the belt, and decided to walk out with Misawa.
What were his thoughts at the time?

Kobashi: When I left All Japan in June 2000, I was the Triple Crown Champion. Of course, I will have to lead the new promotion, and so when the opening was scheduled for October, I was hospitalized with the intention of having knee surgery that accumulated due to damage over many years. However, the launch was rushed forward to August, and I couldn't have the surgery and I had to practice in the ring before I started the match. At the first event I Jun Akiyama and I defeated Misawa and Taue, and the next day I was defeated by Akiyama in a singles match. It wasn't me, who had been the Triple Crown Champion, who had caught the movement of the new group, Pro Wrestling Noah at the opening match, but the era was taken from the three former Four Pillars, by Jun Akiyama.
Certainly, my knees were bad, and I was defeated by Jun and an era was left behind. As Jun had decided to abandon blue, which he had worn during the All Japan years, and started the opening with a pure white costume, I had a pattern made in orange which was my All Japan era design, it was said that I was completely trailing All Japan as before.

From orange to black, and a regrettable long time miss

Q: This was the reason why the image color was changed to black from orange when Noah was formed
KOBASHI: Yes, in October that year that changed my image from orange to black, and in December I was able to defeat Jun at the Ariake Coliseum, which was the first big match for Pro Wrestling Noah.

Q: From January the follow year, you were forced to miss 395 days due to knee surgery and rehabilitation?
KOBASHI: I couldn't move my knees the day after Ariake, so as a result I devoted myself in 2001 to getting them treated. That year there was the tournament to decide the first GHC Heavyweight Champion, the symbol of Pro Wrestling Noah. I was deeply moved by the sight of everyone fighting in the sunset that I could see from my hospital room. I wasn't able to grasp the era that I thought I could finally take, as with All Japan, starting anew with Pro Wrestling Noah was also a headwind.

Q: Even at that time, you were energetic in visiting in the venue, interacting with fans, and doing commentary on TV.
KOBASHI: Never give up on yourself. There are always changes, but when you are at the bottom, you just don't see them. Of course I declined when I was in low spirits, but at that time I was really happy to boost the fans.

The long awaited return match to the "Absolute Champion"

Q: In February 2002, you returned to the Nippon Budokan for the first time in 395 days. It was a long awaited return for you and your fans.
KOBASHI: Yes, however I suffered from an incomplete rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament in the left knee, and was told that the recovery time would be 4 months. It was another long term absence again. Meanwhile, I also heard people saying, "Kobashi is over". But there is always chance even when its dark in front of you. There is a chance, so believe in yourself. With that in mind I was facing the injury. In July of that year, I was able to return to the ring after 138 days absence.

Q: It can only be described as an indomitable spirit. In March 2003, the year after your return, you defeated Misawa and finally became the GHC Heavyweight Champion, which you held for two years. You had many fights to the death, did any of your opponents feel particularly strong?
KOBASHI: To be honest, I can't narrow it down to just one person. Everyone I fought was strong, there were too many best bouts. I am happy that each fan thought, "that match" and "that person".

Q: Thank you, another thing I would like to ask is a question from a reader, who is the wrestler you thought was the "coolest" so far?
KOBASHI: This is what I think now, I want to be an old man with a good smile. My teacher, Giant Baba had a wonderful smile in his later years, and Stan Hansen has recently done the same. I understand now that a smile is nice and fulfilling. I didn't think that when I was fighting (laughs).

2006, and the detection of kidney cancer. 

Q: As the centre of the Noah mat in both name and reality, you had finally grasped the era, but in 2006 kidney cancer was discovered.
KOBASHI: I was found on a medical examination, but at that time I was still in my thirties. The cancer surgery was successful, but the night before the surgery, the doctor came into my room and said, "this is not an operation to return you to professional wrestling. You have to do your best to live, not to return. You can do anything as long as you are alive, so live."
Q: From the doctors point of view, he had to seriously confront the issue with you.
KOBASHI: Yes, and he is the doctor that sees me regularly. At that time it was said that no athlete had recovered from kidney cancer, but I came back to the ring 546 days later. Unfortunately, my body wasn't what I expected after returning. Even if the surgery was successful, I couldn't build up my body because of the protein restriction in my diet following it. Even so, I asked the doctor how to train and I asked if there was any good protein, I was told, "No, don't do that. Take early retirement".

Q: In addition to recovering from kidney cancer, you returned to the ring with a body that didn't feel like your own after surgery

"January 20th 2007: Surgery performed on both knees
September 9th 2008: Delayed ulnar nerve palsy on the right arm, surgery was performed on the elbow joints, and you were again absent for a long time
January 5th 2010: Cubital tunnel syndrome
February 9th 2012: At the charity event for recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake, "ALL TOGETHER", Kobashi teamed with Mutoh to win the victory, but was left with a left tibia fracture and right medial collateral ligament injury, and a right tibial contusion during the match, and again was absent for the long term"
Source ~ Kenta Kobashi (Wikipedia)

Even though he was so full of life and until he retired in May 2013, there was always the strong figure of Kobashi before the fans. How does he stay so strong?

Believe in yourself and never give up

KOBASHI: When faced with difficulties, you can overcome it if you don't give up. If anyone believes it, then they can do it. Always have that feeling. Believe there is always an opportunity, although you don't see the light, and continue to accumulate daily. Things never get better all at once, and if they do, it goes wrong all at once. It's tough to accumulate a little by little every day, but that experience makes you stronger.
There are many times in life after getting cancer. After the return match, the NTV announcer pointed to the microphone and asked me "How are you feeling?" I suddenly replied, "A man is from 40 years old.." I was 40 at the time (laughs), now if you asked me I would be fifty. If it was a woman she would say, "A woman is from 50 years old". It was a sudden thing to say, but I think that was the essence. At the start I said, "I don't want to go back to the". Youth is wonderful, but the weight of life after aging is also exceptional. I have no desire to return to that era. But because of that time, so will everyone else who has it now. If you are in a good condition and have a chance during a crisis, do not worry about it and watch your step. If everyone is in good shape, Japan as a whole will be better I think.

Q: I think readers will be encouraged by your words, as you have overcome countless difficulties and faced them head on. Finally, please tell us about your future goals.
KOBASHI: I run a gym, and I also give lectures. The goal of life is to challenge things that you have never doe before. I want to live positively without fear of failure, because I have never experienced it, and I am ready for future possibilities. My immediate goal is to grow and expand the gym. I can scout those who train there for pro wrestling (laughs), and as I can make it feel like I am training myself, I would like to increase the satisfaction of those who use it.

Link to original article from Mid Breath
Picture credit: Mid Breath
Picture of Kenta Kobashi in ring from Fortune KK

Comments