(NOAH) "The amount of heat that cannot be beaten by anyone" Kaito Kiyomiya's "New Hope" to evolve Noah

24th May 2020
ABEMA TIMES

Kaito Kiyomiya is a wrestler akin to "Pro Wrestling Noah's Heaven-Sent Child".

When he was a lower grader in elementary school he happened to see a Noah match in a video rental store, he was fascinated by Mitsuharu Misawa and wanted to become a wrestler.

"With blood flowing the opponents attack was returned, returned, and then he finally won. I was fascinated by the fact that he could return it, no matter how much was done to him."

After graduating from High School, he entered Noah. He never thought of any other groups. Daily practice was more severe than the introductory test, and he found difficulty in keeping up.

Debuting in December 2015, two years later he went on excursion overseas. Upon returning to Japan he joined the top front, and won the GHC Heavyweight Championship in December 2018. He is the youngest holder of the championship in the history of the GHC.

"I didn't really feel it when I first got it. Each time I went up to the ring as a champion, I finally became aware of it. With each defense, I began to feel the pressure and the sense of responsibility."

Kiyomiya won the championship by defeating Takashi Sugiura, and he continued to defend the title for more than a year against senior wrestlers such as Naomichi Marufuji and Katsuhiko Nakajima.

Jurina Matsui (SKE48), who was a guest commentator for a Noah ABEMA broadcast counts Kiyomiya as a "favorite wrestler". While it is worth the pressure, Jurina, who was selected as the centre of AKB at age 11, has a lot of sympathy for Kiyomiya.

Kiyomiya said, "I was wondering if I could really do this as champion. I was going into an unknown place, but now I can go forward without fear. I have become stronger in believing in myself."
It is no exaggeration to say that the appeal of the champion was his single minded appeal that he was growing with each match in which with each defense the champion "stands up" to a strong and experienced challenger. The struggle to win and return back what is taken, is similar to what he once admired.

In his championship days, Kiyomiya launched the slogan of a "new scenery", and the company changed system last year. In that respect, Kiyomiya was a symbol. In fact, new fans were increasing during the period when Kiyomiya was wearing the belt.

"My idea is to make Pro Wrestling Noah the best promotion. For that purpose, the group must evolve. I want to take charge of that".

Although he lost the GHC Heavyweight belt in January, his desire for evolution has not changed. It was at this time that Noah joined CyberAgent. Even during Corona, he continues his "defensive" activities, and actively has empty arena matches.

On May 24th and 31st, "NOAH, NEW HOPE" an empty arena event featuring Kiyomiya will be broadcast. Even though he has become beltless, Kaito Kiyomiya is still Noah's "New Hope".

"I think that ABEMA has reached people who are not interested in pro wrestling, and I would like to use this as a trigger to bring the appeal of Noah to the world. I think evolution will come from this."

Kiyomiya also says that he wants to "focus on putting effort into personal communication. I want to convey not only Noah, but also my own appeal".

So, what do you want people to see for those who don't know Kiyomiya to see in Noah?

"I think I have an energy that no one can defeat. The dropkick, the momentum and power of technique, the intensity of pro wrestling. I want to convey that."

Is there anyone else in any other group or genre that he is conscious of? When asked, Kiyomiya replied, "Hiroshi Tanahashi". Tanahashi is the key wrestler who once the "reconstruction" of New Japan Pro Wrestling.
"I was told by people around me that Tanahashi did this at such a difficult time with an encouraging attitude. I respect those who have lead their promotions with a positive attitude, and I must do that too."

What Tanahashi did is not simply "someone else's problem" for Kiyomiya, it may be that he is not only looking at a "prestigious revival" but also at being an "industry leader".
At 24 years old in July of this year, everything is possible for this young man.

Link to original article from Yahoo Japan\ABEMA
Picture credit: ABEMA\Yahoo Japan
Translated from an article by Munehiro Hashimoto

Comments