(NOAH) Please tell me about wrestling that is not just in the ring, interview with Mitsuharu Misawa


November 14, 2007
Kami-robo.com

Interviewer, Yasui Tomohiro

DEBUT

Q: I have always liked wrestling and Gundam since I was in elementary school
MISAWA: That's the Gundam Generation (laughs)
Q: Yes. So, this is the collection, I used to play with a group of Kamirobos and make them wrestle. However, I like "what I can see" in the venue or on the TV, but I think that somewhere I can't see, like the waiting room, an "invisible area", is probably something like this...I imagined "I suppose its going to be something like this...". I projected it as an image while playing alone. Since today is a big deal, I would like to hear the truth about that unseen place, I thought that it would be nice to hear from you, the story of a real professional wrestler, but...
MISAWA: Oh
Q: Wrestling is said to be a "drama that never ends", but for example, wrestlers like you become presidents. First of all, would you be able to tell us about your debut, and the memories of your match?
MISAWA: First...I was told that my debut would be at the venue that day.
Q: It was that sudden?
MISAWA: Yes. I wasn't ready at all. I hadn't even become an attendant, and I was only really associated with Baba. All I had were my shoes and tights, the shoes were used for practice, and I was told "Make it do for the time being", therefore if you are suddenly told to have a match, you have to do it. Well, it was an era when there were no cell phones, so I couldn't even call my family. Because it was decided so suddenly when teaching was over that "I am going to make my debut today" (laughs).
Q: So after your debut, did you have matches with the someone who had also just debuted?
MISAWA: No, not much, it's not good for the unskilled to do it together, it was preached to do it with my seniors (laughs). So, rather you shouldn't have to worry about the reaction of the customers, but amateurs are the same regardless of them, its like "you have to win". When it comes to the pros, that is when you have to be more aware of the customers. I was often told, "Speak more during the match!" If something hurts, then express that it hurts. From the start there have been people who are full of emotional expression, but I was the type who did it lightly.
Q: Did you ever say that you were "nervous to work with that person?"
MISAWA: I didn't have that since I worked so hard in the first year or so. Rather, I suppose I didn't still understand puroresu, and I had to do what I was taught. The things I were taught were arm whips, head throws, dropkicks etc...after all, when it comes to the match even that small repertoire will disappear. There are hip throws and shoulder throws, but there is no time to attack. It seems it ends up like that at times when you are young.
Q: There were also matches when you faced one of your seniors; for example, in your first match was an amazing young guy and a veteran...I thought it was really interesting.
MISAWA: That's right. After all, it is educational, and you can learn from observing the flow of the match. However, when I started to feel the flow in my skin, the opponent couldn't keep up with the movement, but circumstances can work well, there are things you can do, and there is experience in that. For example, depending on the opponent, the technique might look different, and so you may think "This person won't look good, even if you try it." So of course, if you do it to someone who is poor at receiving, it doesn't look good and you get hurt by it and so do they. There are such things in wrestling.


PURE WRESTLING

Q: There are a lot of people who say that he Kamirobo fights are similar to NOAH matches these days, it is similar to the flow of the Four Heavenly Kings. For me, I think Noah's professional wrestling has the root of what is called "pure professional wrestling". Recently, "proper wrestling" is gradually disappearing, and under such circumstances I wondered if I was thinking about doing something similar with Kamirobo.
MISAWA: Wrestling isn't interesting because someone does something that can't really be done; jumping on the ropes, flying and bouncing. For ordinary martial arts there is no such movement, and for the martial art that does, it is interesting. Is there no limit to it? Looking at the matches of the younger wrestlers now, there are so many techniques that I can't do! I didn't know of them twenty years ago, and now they are impossible! (LAUGHS) All I can do is watch. The skills that they do have become standard and now are established, and so its hard to do things for the first time...and now its about doing things that people don't do. What are your ideas? You have to use both your head and your body, that is what makes wrestling interesting. Nowadays you can also create various characters yourself, which was very different in the past, because it was a nuisance. It was an era when even if you wore kneepads, it was like "getting braces done", but it was like "But, if I don't do it, I will hurt my knees, right?" (Laughs). Even though my seniors were wearing them, that was the atmosphere. I thought, "It won't hurt your style or make a difference".
Q: What about the expression, "Pure Wrestling?"
MISAWA: Hmm, how about it? I'm happy that that is said about our wrestling, but there are all kinds of pro wrestling, and so I have never thought about it in that way. So, this is not the case that this is pro wrestling, I think its better for the viewer to decide. If you like it, all you have to do is watch a promotion that does it...and after all, for professional wrestling, you don't need a universal language. For me, people who don't have pro wrestling in their countries are missing out, I would love for them to see it.
Q: I think when you where younger, imagination was motivated for being a main eventer or champion, but in your case, you are doing it as company president. I think you are probably different now from what you were when you were younger, but what is it like being both a professional wrestler and the president of a promotion?
MISAWA: There are some weak points (laughs). Basically, all I was worried about at first was doing pro wrestling! Everyone else had done it, and I had been a gymnast and was used to a softer mat. I used a brainbuster as a junior, and did things like fly off the table (laughs), and I was purely thinking that being a pro wrestler would be fun. Moreover, there were a very few techniques at the time with flashy movements. In my day it was (anime) "Tiger Mask", "Kick Demon" and so it was an era called "Vacuum jump knee strikes", but in reality there wasn't much flying (laughs). Later I understood, "Ah that was a manga"...". Well, anyway, I really wanted to do pro wrestling, and I didn't even think about money at all, and there was no such thing as "How much can I get?". So, when I made my debut I was really happy. "Am I professional wrestler?" (laughs). Like a "Professional" will be asked to sign autographs as well, and its really nice to say, "Well, would you like an autograph?" Well, it's not like that now (laughs). I don't think that people are no good when they say, "Eh? Autograph?" (laughs). But looking back, of course, I am glad that I was popular, but that's not why I entered wrestling. I entered because I wanted to do professional wrestling, so I think of where I started and then becoming popular, I never thought of being cheered by fans. I was thinking, "I wish I could only do pro wrestling." Some of the younger wrestlers who recently enter ask, "how much will I be paid?" Most of the time they quit right away, and there is nothing left. It's hard to get into wrestling in the first place, and it is hard to go up to the ring. The parts that you see are showy, but there are situations when sometimes its ugly. To put it plainly, it's like doing push ups when you don't know when they are going to end.
Q: On tour you are always on the move, having matches, and staying overnight, what is it like?
MISAWA: In the past travelling was many airplanes and on Shinkansen, but now that roads have improved, there are many buses. For accomodation we stayed in Ryokan*. I didn't have much privacy and the youngsters were in the reception hall together. Nowadays, it's better as there are many hotels and so they have their own room. I think young people need their privacy.
Q: Based on your own experience, you are not just having matches, but putting everything together related to the box office.

PRO WRESTLER AND HERO

Q: What kind of character do you like?
MISAWA: Kamen Rider, Ultraman. Generationally, I wonder if its V3 and Seven. I read the manga by Kazuki Kajiwara in real time, and when it comes to special effects, its like "Ninja Red Shadow".
Q: Are you influenced by it?
MISAWA: There is influence. "Pro Wrestlers" and "Heroes" there is something in common!
Q: That makes a strong impression
MISAWA: Every boy wants to be admired, right? I know that after becoming an adult, its not that pretty (laughs)


FIRST EXPERIENCE OF KAMIROBO

MISAWA: Is it difficult to do skillful movements or break the rules?
Q: Actually, I think about passiveness as well, and I try to make the sound loud. This person (one of the Kamirobo) is good at bridging, this one is good at German Suplex.
MISAWA: Ah, its the same. There are some pro wrestlers that can't do a bridge. Most people who come from Sumo can't do it (laughs). I don't need a German suplex, because I can't do it (laughs).
Q: After doing this for a while, their knees and neck get bad.
MISAWA: Oh, after all, it's the same here (laughs)
Q: If that happens then its time to take apart and repair
MISAWA: We can't repair it. This is quite easy (laughs). There are many times when I wish I could repair it like that.
Q: Speaking of which, I have heard that you have loose elbow cartilage fragments?
MISAWA: Well, it varies by day on the angle of bending it. It seems that if the cartilage gathers in one place, it will only bend one way, and I suffer numbness due to the pressure on my nerves. If I have a lot of matches I get numb and feel "OUCH".
Q: Do you play computer games?
MISAWA: Yes. On the move or before going to bed, at home when I am on the toilet. Do I play a lot of DS? Pokemon...even in the bath. I don't have much time, so I use it effectively. I am always happy when there is an arcade game at an inn, and even my wrestlers love it. So its enjoyable when we are in the countryside.
Q: Your image has grown again! Thank you!

*Kamirobo are robot wrestlers made of paper, with joints on the shoulders, elbow, crotch knees etc and who can do wrestling moves, created by Yasui Tomohiro.
*Japanese style inns.

Link to original article from Kami-Robo.com
Picture credit: Kami-Robo.com 

Comments