(NOAH) "The fight of my life. I want you to see how I live", Akitoshi Saito's determination and resolution towards the GHC title challenge

8th June 2020
ABEMA TIMES\Yahoo.co.jp

Akitoshi Saito, wearing karategi* read the title challenge in the ring. His unchanging determination was reflected in the same scene as it once was in 1992. In 1992, the grudge between New Japan and Seishin Kaikan* to which he belonged and New Japan broke out. Saito went to the ring at the Tokyo Dome event, and read the challenge. This was a new start for him. 
This time he did the same on the Noah mat. Standing in front of him was the GHC Heavyweight Champion, Go Shiozaki. For Saito, the first title challenge in a long time, has been organised for 14th June. 

Saito stated shortly after expressing his challenge, "The act of writing a challenge and reading in the ring, has a sacred meaning. I am prepared and determined. In that sense, I feel the same as when I wrote the challenge the last time. These are my utmost thoughts, and my utmost respect".

There is also meaning in June 14th, as this is the day after the anniversary of Misawa's death. Moreover, his opponent is Go Shiozaki. Saito was "Mitsuharu Misawa's last opponent", while Shiozaki was "Mitsuharu Misawa's last tag partner". June 14th was also the day when Go Shiozaki was crowned the GHC Heavyweight champion for the first time. It is a fateful battle. 

"The reason why I challenged this time is because the champion is Go Shiozaki. Shiozaki has everything, and there are things that I don't have". 
The fact is that Saito seems to have been inspired by Shiozaki having the belt. Saito describes the current champion as follows, "I feel that sense of responsibility has come out recently. There is a weight in carrying Noah. It is different from when he was younger."
Because of such a champion, he made the title challenge after a long time. 

With Masao Inoue he formed the "Anti Wrestlers Alliance", and had a desire to shake the Noah mat in his own way. 
"Until now, I have been taking a step back. I had an idea of what I could do for Noah, however, it wasn't because I had a poor physical condition or that I felt bad or depressed. Noah is new now, but its better to know the old days and be new. In that sense, the title challenge is useless if it comes too late."

Saito has also had an interval between matches as the empty arena matches continue. Shiozaki has also missed time for a while, and this will be his return match. However, Saito has said, "this is why it is interesting", as "the mutual base power comes out". 

There are also some messages that he would be like to convey to fans as from the Anti Wrestlers Association, "I think many people give up because of the environment around them, even though they think it is still possible. You have to believe in yourself, even if the possibilities are not first evaluated by people. The Anti Wrestlers Alliance may have seemed laid back without such a movement, but under the surface its exciting. Just like a swan. This is one thing I would like to show you at these times."

Saito's "specifications" such as height, weight and title history are plain to see, however his strength and his potential remain invisible. However, Saito thinks that this should not be put aside because it has not been evaluated.

"For any job no one says "You have strength, so go up."

Although he is a veteran, he has no intention of declining.

"It's part of the feeling of what evolution is, each day I am clearing the difficulties and each resolution is different."

Saito is also positive about being in an empty arena match.

"All the viewers are in the front row when watching, and everyone can watch the match the closest. It may be on the screen, but you are right there. Therefore, I want you to support me so that I can hear it even through the screen. I will return it in the match."

What he wants to show in this match, is how a man named Akitoshi Saito lives. 
"This is the fight of my life. I want you to see how I live. I want to show you my intense life, I want your support to match that intensity". 

Noah's ring is full of powerful wrestlers, however, the most suitable person to challenge the GHC Heavyweight Champion Go Shiozaki, is Akitoshi Saito.

Picture credit: Yahoo.co.jp\ABEMA TIMES 

*Traditional karate uniform
*International organization for the promotion and teaching of Shitō-ryū Karate

Comments