(NOAH) Go Shiozaki defeats Akitoshi Saito the day after the anniversary of Mitsuharu Misawa's death, to achieve his second defense

15th June 2020
Hochi News

Pro Wrestling Noah broadcast their TV match NOAH "GO FORWARD" on ABEMA from 7pm on 14th June. In the main event, GHC Heavyweight Go Shiozaki succeeded in defeating Akitoshi Saito for the second time by defeating him after 29 minutes and 22 seconds with the Gowan Lariat. 

On June 13th 2009, Noah's founder, Mitsuharu Misawa died suddenly at the age of 46 at the Hiroshima Gymnasium Green Arena. In Misawa's final match, Shiozaki stood in the ring as his partner, while Bison tagged with great legend, Bison Smith (deceased). It has been eleven years since then, and the day after the anniversary of Misawa's death, Shiozaki and Saito fought for the belt of Noah's highest peak, the GHC Heavyweight. 

The event today was not held in front of an audience due to the Coronavirus infection, so it was an empty arena match which was broadcast on TV. It is also the 20th year of Noah, which was esablished by Misawa. 

For Shiozaki and Saito, it was meaningful to fight for the GHC in June, the belt that Misawa had created with all his soul. Today was a sanctuary for the two people who stood in the ring eleven years ago, which only they could understand, it was also a battle embarking on a new voyage 11 years later. 

For Go Shiozaki, who developed acute appendicitis in April, this was the first match in about two months since April 19th. 
At the start of the match, Saito mercilessly attacked the right arm to handicap the champion, who overcame this with a strong chop. When Shiozaki used "Emerald Flowsion", Misawa's special move, Saito pointed to heaven and fought back. The fierce battle ended with Shiozaki's powerful lariat. 

There were no winners or losers in the ring after the match, as this was a world that only Shiozaki and Saito could create. That is why in the ring Saito said, "I lost, but I just want to say one thing. Thank you Shio. Thank you, thank you. I lost, but I will move on. You are the best champion. Shio, thank you."
Shiozaki bowed and said, "Saito, I am proud to have been fighting for this belt with you on this day in June. I felt your soul. Thank you."
To the fans behind the camera he said, "This was a fight full of Noah's soul. This will ring will continue to progress in the future, and we will not extinguish that. Everyone watching Noah today, thank you. Go Shiozaki is in this ring. I am Noah".

Backstage Shiozaki said, "I am proud of this fight, I could only have this match with Akitoshi Saito. This wasn't just a fight. It wasn't just a GHC title match. It was a fight that only we could do, I put all my thoughts into it. In June I wanted to face Akitoshi Saito, and like I wanted, I was able to feel it in my soul. It was good to stand in the ring for my return match."

Shiozaki and Saito never mentioned the name "Mitsuharu Misawa" until the end, and they asked the fans what they thought of the fight in the ring and it was "Misawa-ism" and Noah's soul, who continued to appeal to fans for the greatness of pro wrestling, no words were needed (rough). 

Finally, Shiozaki said, "I think it is only a little while before we I can meet everyone again. Until then, I will protect this belt. I want to meet everyone at the venue with this belt. I am NOAH". 

With the determination to resume entertainment, which was cancelled due to Corona, June has marked the beginning of a new voyage.

Picture credit: Hochi News

Comments