(NOAH) The "Wrestling Genius" championship, Mutoh's GHC challenge if Marufuji captures the belt

31st July 2020
Eastern Sports Web\Yahoo Japan

Noah's Naomichi Marufuji (40), who will challenge the GHC Heavyweight champion, Go Shiozaki (38) at the Korakuen Hall event in Tokyo on August 5th, is enthusiastic about regaining the championship for the first time in four and a half years*. The stimulus comes from Keiji Mutoh (57), a "professional wrestling master", belonging to the same unit, and with the encouragement recieved from the "genius", they looked at a dream title battle between them.

Naomichi Marufuji made his move at the Korakuen Hall event on the 18th. With his new technique of striking the side of the head with his knee, the "True Tiger King", he knocked out the champion and made his challenge. In January 2016, he decided not to challenge for the title, giving the reason that "I had to stay away from it simply because of my lack of ability. My condition was bad. It is true that I was able to arrive here because the number of matches had decreased, and I was able to rest and maintain my body. I also had right knee surgery (extraction of hardened cartilage in the joint) at the beginning of February". Marufuji emphasized that eliminating the fatigue during the period of self restraint caused by the coronavirus, has led to a favorable result. The presence of new partners also has helped to boost confidence such as Keiji Mutoh, who started the "M'S Alliance", which is a unit where wrestlers with "M" in their initials gather.
In combination with the veteran who is also called a "genius" he said, "I think this period is important, as the number of people who are older than me are gradually decreasing. There is something to learn from it." What surprised him the most was his unwavering energy at the age of 57. 
"Mutoh's driving force is the strength of the feeling that, "I will stand out still". I think when we work together, "I will not cede to it". You can grow by confronting it, not by erasing it. It's special." 
The symbol of that energy is an attachment to the belt. Mutoh is a IWGP Heavyweight and Triple Crown Heavyweight champion, but has not held the GHC Heavyweight which he is interested in, Marufuji stated "It think is great to show an interest in the belt at the age of 57, but only select people can speak on that. I don't know if he's up for it at 57, but if I do take the belt, I want to have a defense against Keiji Mutoh."

On July 30th he took part in a six man tag match in Kawasaki in the main event, and struck Kaito Kiyomiya (24) with the powerful knee kick for the first time. "My condition is good, there is encouragement from Mutoh, and there is the new technique. I will make this even stronger. Right now, I am a demon who holds a weapon* I mean...who is the demon?"
I have great expectations for the Genius of The Ark, who is in great shape.

*The original phrase is "Demon holding a golden stick", which I changed to "make this even stronger" as there is no equivalent in English. I have left the next line in though as it seems to go together. 
*They seem to have forgotten that Naomichi Marufuji challenged Takashi Sugiura for the title in 2018, and Kaito Kiyomiya in 2019. He and Shiozaki have never had a title match for the GHC Heavyweight. 

Picture credit: Yahoo.co.jp

Comments