(NOAH) A sense of crisis due to a decline in presence and "special feelings" for "that man", special N-1 interview with Masa Kitamiya

Pro Wrestling DX
9th September 2020

Masa Kitamiya has entered into A block in Noah's biggest league match of the year, the N-1 Victory (opening in the Nagoya Congress Centre on September 18th). Coming from the predecessor of Global League, this will be his sixth entry in six years in a row; four years ago he made it to the finals. 
After five years of career, he fought a fierce fight with Minoru Suzuki and gave the impression of a bright future, but after that he came to a stalemate. A singles title is still eluding him. 

Now, as a member of Kongoh, he has been steadily smouldering while at the same time maintaining a high level of stability. Next year he will celebrate ten years in wrestling, but will the spirit of "GO FOR BROKE" inherited from his teacher, Masa Saito, be fulfilled before then? 

Interview with Masa Kitamiya

Q: First of all, what are your honest thoughts towards this years N-1?
KITAMIYA: As I say each year, it doesn't make sense unless you get results. In other words, it means nothing if you don't win. 
Q: After becoming a member of Kongoh, there is an impression that the emphasis of being an "individual" has decreased. 
KITAMIYA: Kongoh has one belt at the moment, and you cannot deny after all that the current situation is that "Kongoh is Kenoh". Although he is a reliable leader, from now on I think that the significance of Kongoh will disappear if we do not leave results. At the beginning of the New Year, I took the initiative and challenged for the National, but the period that I could make no headway continued, but it was also a "reservoir" to leave results and make an impact in the N-1. Now is the time to fully unleash it.
Q: In 2016 you came second place in the league after five years of career, but the single titles have been out of reach for about four years. 
KITAMIYA: I have no imposing words to tell the loser, but this has gone on too long; there is an awareness that the shadow of Masa Kitamiya has become much fainter. I am disappointed at the situation were results are not coming out, and I have a strong sense of crisis. In order to beat that, I have to get involved with the title front and get results, especially as there is a champion in the same block. 
Q: Going into a fight with the current GHC champion, Shiozaki, will be particularly strong. 
KITAMIYA: Yes, even before he was the champion, that man had a "special feeling", as I was the first opponent he faced when he came back to Noah. Maybe being crushed by the champion, has become the best driving force (towards rebellion). 
Q: In the same block as you, A Block, there is Kazushi Sakuraba, Masaaki Mochizuki and Manabu Soya. 
KITAMIYA: It's quite a tendency of strong people there. Sakuraba and Mochizuki are almost unknown to me, so it's about interacting with six people together. However, how can I push through my own style of pro wrestling with a number of unknown opponents? I think that the biggest challenge in league matches like this, and the true value is questioned when working with a wrestler whose style is not Noah. 
Q: What about Kiyomiya? 
KITAMIYA: On the contrary, Kiyomiya has been putting together what he has learned, and he thinks about what is going to come. I don't know what he is thinking, however, I have the same feeling as an opponent like Go Shiozaki. 
Q: Manabu Soya of the same unit has also entered the block 
KITAMIYA: At the National challenger tournament which we both did a while ago, at the end of four matches in one day, we battered each other in the finals. So we got to do it together once in a perfect situation, and so I am looking forward to it. Those types are always the most fun, and I think we share the same characteristics. Above all, the amazing power may be one of Noah's best. I lost in the final at that time to him, and so there is a debt I want repaid, and we have just announced the tag team title challenge so in that respect the match against Sakuraba (the current tag team champion) will be important. I want to have a head to head battle with Manabu Soya to increase significance towards the tag match. 
Q: Who do you want to face in the final? 
KITAMIYA: Whoever. I can't afford to think of the other block, I want to get results myself and am just focusing on that. 
Q: Kongoh has expanded it's power before the N-1, and Katsuhiko Nakajima who you said about, "I have always hated since my introduction" has also entered.
KITAMIYA: I am focusing on the N-1, which is an individual competition. About that...I think you will see it by looking at the ring in the future. 

Picture credit: Pro Wrestling DX

Comments