(NOAH) Tenshin Nasukawa's first try at Pro Wrestling. Kaito Kiyomiya, "Outstanding sense. You can fight as a heavyweight"


25th September 2020
Sportiva

In late July, the kickboxing "prodigy", Tenshin Nasukawa, mentioned the name of a surprising person in an interview with Tokyo Sports, Kaito Kiyomiya of Pro Wrestling Noah. About Kiyomiya's appeal to fight with New Japan's Kazuchika Okada, he commented "I think the person who starts the era, is the person who acts first. It's nice to have a sense of feeling dazzled."
In response to the article, Kiyomiya treated "I want to talk with Nasukawa". So, a talk between the two young people who bear the future of both the kick world and the wrestling world, has been realized. 

On the day of the talk, footage was filmed for YouTube with Kiyomiya instructing Nasukawa on how to wrestle on Nasukawa's channel, and Nasukawa gave instruction to Kiyomiya on the official Noah channel. I asked Nasukawa, whose first time this was entering a pro wrestling ring, for his frank impressions. 

Q: How was your first experience of pro wrestling?
NASUKAWA: It hurt. It was extremely painful, I didn't think it would be so much, but it is amazing. I also train, but the training method is different, and I had to take a passive approach. 
Q: Is it different from taking a skill in a kick match? 
NASUKAWA: In the case of a kick, I avoid it rather than take it. Like in wrestling, I know that the technique will come, but I am not afraid to receive it. It's like being given an injection and being told that. Doesn't it still hurt? It's the same. Hmmm? Is it the same? I don't know.
KIYOMIYA: Nasukawa has an outstanding sense of pro wrestling. 
NASUKAWA: Really? 
KIYOMIYA: It's really amazing. There is a sense of pro wrestling, that is already on the level, and there is the physical ability. I have been fighting people who have great physical abilities, and I think it is amazing that at this age he is so flexible. 
NASUKAWA: I'm happy, but I'm not tall enough. 
KIYOMIYA: By the way, how tall are you? 
NASUKAWA: 165cm
KIYOMIYA: Still, I think you can fight in the heavyweight division. 
NASUKAWA (laughing): No 
KIYOMIYA: I think it's painful to receive techniques, but if it's a blow from a heavyweight. It's very powerful. 
NASUKAWA: I wish all it was, was just a blow. I think pro wrestlers are really amazing. You play a part, and you create your own view of the world. I thought that kickboxing needed that kind of thing, so I went to see a pro wrestling event, and studied. 
KIYOMIYA: Hey! That's surprising. 
NASUKAWA: I thought the production of the admission was amazing. I learned from pro wrestling that each person had an entrance for their kind of character. Even in kickboxing I am trying to attract people from the entrance, and appeal myself. Fighting as a martial artist is all about fighting, but I want to show you something like "this guy is amazing" or "This person is different". You can't survive unless you show it as a technique, movements or actions. 
KIYOMIYA: There are a few such wrestlers in the martial arts world. Also, I think you should watch various other genres other than pro wrestling. Movies and anime. So, even if it's just a little it makes you think "Oh" and wonder if you can incorporate it into martial arts. I think it's something that only a special person can do, so I think it's amazing. I do things like anime movements. 
NASUKAWA: I have seen a lot of anime in the actual match. 
KIYOMIYA: What was the first anime that inspired you? Mine was "Baki the Grappler"
NASUKAWA: Oh! As a martial arts person it is "Baki" and "First Step"
KIYOMIYA: Yes! I still think "I want to train" even now when I watch "Baki". Even now I still go "Ooooo". 
NASUKAWA: That's right. The tension is a little different from ordinary manga and anime. There are many unrealistic techniques, but boys will always yearn for them. It's like "I can do it."
Q: You have won 40 wins in a row, it is difficult to maintain your intensity and motivation? 
NASUKAWA: I don't practice for a match, I like training or martial arts for its own sake. The more you do martial arts, the stronger you become. I have to do it, I am weak without it. Motivation doesn't go down as I know that I am getting stronger. Anuwau, I wanted to become a professional and be strong, so it doesn't matter who my opponent is. 
KIYOMIYA: I don't have time to lose motivation. Wrestling has many matches, and if you practice in it thinking "it was like this here" and "let's do this now", you will have the opportunity to try it immediately. Try it and repeat it. 
NASUKAWA: How many matches do you have in a year? 
KIYOMIYA: About 100 isn't it? 
NASUKAWA: 100!
KIYOMIYA: Before Corona it was even more 
NASUKAWA: Seriously? I have had a lot of kickboxing matches and done about nine a year, but one hundred or so...do you get injured? 
KIYOMIYA: There are always small injuries
NASUKAWA: That's right. Maybe it's just Martial Arts, but I'm not injured. For example, it's like you notice a little wrist pain and find out it's fractured, it's like "it's okay" (laughs). There are quite a few, right?
KIYOMIYA: There are
NASUKAWA: When it comes to the match, it's okay, but it's when it is over that is when it really hurts. That's the adrenalin, isn't it? It doesn't matter if you get injured during the match, right? 
KIYOMIYA: That's right. When it happens, it doesn't matter at all. 
NASUKAWA: I was surprised at your request for a match against Okada, I thought it was super good. You are 24 now, right? I'm 22, and I think because of my youth I'm not scared of anything...don't hesitate, don't read the situation (laughs) Did you say that? 
KIYOMIYA: You've been told quite a bit. 
NASUGAWA: Have you been sounded out?   
KIYOMIYA: I don't know about that, but there has been a reaction which is good. I made that proposal because I wanted to say it.  
NASUKAWA: To express yourself and to rise up, I think you have to be somewhat desperate to say that. It's important to understand the situation, but who wins when you weigh up whether or not you care about your surroundings, or whether or not you want to be noticed? 
KIYOMIYA: As a champion, you become involved with other wrestlers from other promotions. When faced with Okada there was a feeling like "this man has an atmosphere of being dangerous to fight in a match". His body is big, he is intimidating, and I really felt he was interesting. 
Q: Okada has also mentioned Kiyomiya as one of the wrestlers he wants to fight. 
NASUKAWA: Ooooh! I'd watch it!
KIYOMIYA: HAHAHA!!
NASUKAWA: That is the times we live in, isn't it? It is a statement that excites social media. That is why I said that it is like a victory, which is also the case with this conversation? It's fast, isn't it? 
KIYOMIYA: It's amazing, isn't it? 
NASUGAWA: It's no good if you don't transmit it. It's really important to draw attention with words and action. If you make a mistake in one step then it may go up in flames, but I think that to make such a remark is also a performance.
Q: Nasukawa, you are being quite agitated by Emperor, who you will be competing against at "RIZIN.24" on September 27th 
NASUKAWA: I've never had a match with a fight like this starting before, so I am wondering what is going to happen. The senior is the one who wants to put everything out in the ring, and I am thinking of the knowledge of what I am going to do.
Q: Kiyomiya is always agitated at by Kenoh (laughs)
KIYOMIYA: Every time I do something, no matter how small it is, he will complain about it. 
NASUKAWA: I can't believe there is someone like that. 
KIYOMIYA: He says it so skillfully that the customers somewhat agree. 
NASUGAWA: Right, right
KIYOMIYA: He will find some pictures of my Junior High School days, and say something like "Look at this Buzz Cut!"
NASUKAWA: Seriously? You can't truly like it? Are you a fan? 
KIYOMIYA: Not anymore 
NASUKAWA: Well, maybe he will also mention this article 
KIYOMIYA: By the way, as he uses kicks, he may even affect Nasukawa...
NASUKAWA: Great (laughs)
KIYOMIYA: I'm emotional because I totally lower in terms of career, but Nasukawa is the perfect champion, isn't he? I think he has more leeway to accept what is to come, even if he is wound up. 
NASUKAWA: That is often the case, I don't really think about it. I'm more like "Oh, right" 
KIYOMIYA: Do you want to instigate fights? 
NASUKAWA: Well, it's a little impossible; I'm a pacifist. I've never had a fight in my life. It's scary, isn't it? What do you say? "Hey, asshole!?" (Laughs) I don't know how to do it. I'm too nervous. 
KIYOMIYA: Are you nervous? 
NASUKAWA: I'm ultra nervous. 
KIYOMIYA: Really? Is that true? When fighting? 
NASUKAWA: When I am fighting, I know I have to make a decision. Because usually when you face a difficult situation, the courage makes you feel alive, it's like that when it comes down to it. 
KIYOMIYA: It's something like a ping when you are standing in the top corner. 
NASUKAWA: That's okay, but things like ghosts and delinquents. That kind of thing is...
KIYOMIYA: I have to make a lot of decisions in my everyday life. I was not a member of any after school clubs, and I wasn't a participant in martial arts at all. At first it was like, "Such a world is impossible", but once I entered it, I became used to it and I had to make a decision in my personal life to do it. The other day I drank wine, which I hate, with a senior.
NASUKAWA: Ahahahaha!!
KIYOMIYA: Still, there are times when I still think that "I'm not suitable for pro wrestling". I just think sleep is very important. There is a lot of calm when I sleep, I think it's a style that makes it easier for wrestlers. 
NASUKAWA: I am also calm. From the perspective of others, you may think "He's failing". I'm not failing. You might think that, but from my point of view, it's natural to fail. I've never felt stressed, and I'm happy every day. Even if I get abuse on SNS, I am impervious to it. 
KIYOMIYA: Do you ever get that? 
NASUKAWA: Yes, I get it. Some people say, "You are going to lose" or "Practice martial arts without doing it on YouTube", but I don't care at all. 
KIYOMIYA: I don't care either. I like to one critical opinion, one positive and then add them up to two. The bigger the total, the better. Even so, you are amazing to practice on YouTube. What kind of schedule do you have? 
NASUKAWA: I practice in the morning, then rest, and practice again in the afternoon. I'm free in the evening, and so I film then. 
KIYOMIYA: There is no private time? 
NASUKAWA: No, the private time is YouTube. It's like "hobby = YouTube". I can meet various people, and it's fun. Will the "Kaito Kiyomiya channel" be born today? 
KIYOMIYA: I don't think it can be improved...
NASUKAWA: Hahahaha!! But, if you are having 100 matches a year, you could make a video like "Today's body" after the match. YouTube will grow if you focus on just one thing, just like eating rice. Do you have any hobbies? 
KIYOMIYA: Games
NASUKAWA: Then you could have a "Kiyomiya Gaming Channel"! Isn't there anyone else who is a pro wrestler and has a gaming channel? 
KIYOMIYA: I love war games. I love war games so much that I stayed in my room for three years in high school.  
NASUKAWA: Really? (Laughs) Starting from High School, means you are good, right? 
KIYOMIYA: well, I am confident. 
NASUKAWA: Look! A few people are doing it, and first of all, there are no other pro wrestlers doing it, are there? Do it shirtless! 
KIYOMIYA: I have no choice then but to do it (laughs)
NASUKAWA: I think it's a personal era now, the match gets decided and there are press conferences, but I don't think that is enough. I think it is important to produce things by yourself. You can have your own channel where you can transmit yourself. Besides, its becoming mainstream to have everyone following you and playing games. 
KIYOMIYA: Noah's YouTube channel is for promoting matches. I think this would be the first time I did an individual distribution. If I were to create a gaming channel, I would like to collaborate with Nasukawa. 
NASUKAWA: Sounds good! I also like gaming. 
KIYOMIYA: This time rather than collaborating, I have been forced to take the initiative of Nasukawa. It was the way that the "Kaito Kiyomiya Channel" has been born (laughs). 
NASUKAWA: I think it would be nice to have a difference in the distribution in the games played by muscular wrestlers. Even waiting online for "Muscle training" is interesting. 
Q: The Tenshin Nasukawa channel is not limited to just training videos and funny projects, but also videos of exclusive interviews with you after the match, and the amplitude is big, isn't it? It's impressive that you were talking about career advancement in a match. 
NASUKAWA: Having this match will change my life, and I think that winning will definitely change it. After all, a man has to challenge. When the match with Mayweather was arranged, I thought "Seriously!", but I don't have many chances like that. It's important to have an attitude of how to take it. For some it will change their lives, for others it will get better and for some it will be worse, but that kind of story is important, isn't it? 
Q: Kiyomiya, what is the match that has made your career? 
KIYOMIYA: For me, it was the match with Kenoh when I came back from overseas expedition, which was very rewarding. The audience was so excited that I felt that the belt was completely in my view, and from there I set the goal to catching the belt by the end of the year, and I was able to actually do that. I wonder if that was a turning point. In the near future, the match with Keiji Mutoh was an opportunity to reconsider my way of thinking about professional wrestling, and it was a match that will definitely affect my future professional wrestling life.
Q: So what are the dreams of the two will carry the future of the kickboxing world and the pro wrestling world? 
KIYOMIYA: I want to work with Nasukawa in a pro wrestling ring 
NASUKAWA: Seriously? (Laughs) 
KIYOMIYA: Tag matches only take place in pro wrestling, I want to take this opportunity. I and Nasukawa will team up, and our opponents will be his rival and Kenoh. I want to do something that has never been seen. 
NASUKAWA: I want to do it! It's interesting! I have a lot of goals, but I don't have a dream yet. I can't see what it would be, but I can say that there are many possibilities. I have a strong desire to be a central figure in this world. I want to make a name for myself in martial arts. 
Q: First of all, it's "RIZIN.24" on September 27th? 
NASUKAWA: The match will be broadcast on terrestrial broadcasting for the first time in a long time, so I want to make a difference. Martial arts is entering a new era, and the athletes themselves speak out and talk well which excites the fans who follow. That's fine, but that's not the starting point; I want to be stronger, and that is why I shouldn't be careless. I want to have a match to make you understand that.

Picture credit: SPORTIVA

Comments