(NOAH) The Sugiura Army "Disgusted by the bunch of playful old men", interview with The GHC Tag challengers, Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya


24th October 2020
Noah.co.jp

Kongoh's Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya will challenge for the GHC Tag Team Championship of Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba at the event at Korakuen Hall on the 28th October. After two singles they united to challenge The Sugiura Army for the belts after they had become the new champions. A tough, bullish and straightforward combination, Kitamiya has not had a title for more than three years, and Soya does not have a track record in Noah. 
Since Katsuhiko Nakajima's GHC Heavyweight Challenge has also been arranged, there is a chance for Kongoh to monopolize the heavyweight belts. We asked the two determined men about their current feelings. 

Interview with Masa Kitamiya & Manabu Soya

Q: The GHC Tag challenge which you made on the 30th August in Kawasaki has been arranged? 
KITAMIYA: I really felt "please do it soon", but it's okay that its finally been decided, but if you look at the course of events from the start, the fact that the belts came from El Hijo De Dr Wagner Jnr and Rene Dupree giving up the titles did not come into my mind.
Q: El Hijo de Dr Wagner Jnr and Rene Dupree, who were unable to return to Japan due to the Coronavirus, returned the belts and designated the championship match as "Shiozaki & Nakajima vs Sugiura & Sakuraba". 
KITAMIYA: Yeah. That's why as soon as the new champions were decided, we went out. There was this drive to do it "soon" as the N-1 VICTORY was about to begin, and I felt like if I didn't say anything then it would be compromised, and so I have a sense now it has been done. 
SOYA: No matter how the N-1 turned out, I pinned one of the current champions, Kazushi Sakuraba. I think that is one way to win in pro wrestling, and in that sense I have the feeling that to be able to take on challenges will finally come... 
Q: There hasn't been many opportunities for the two of you to work together much yet, so what has been the response to this team? 
KITAMIYA: I have more of an impression that we have done more singles matches than tags, but I feel a lot of empathy with Soya in terms of style and energy. I am confident as he is encouraging as a partner, so I decided to challenge. 
SOYA: There have been two singles matches, the final of the GHC National Number One Contender tournament and the N-1, I really felt the parts that were similar to me. I can emphasize with that, I am the type that goes with feelings, and as I really wanted to work together, I took action. 
Q: The fact that you collided head on in singles match twice, gave you both the opportunity to know your abilities and your enthusiasm. 
KITAMIYA: Yeah, what surprised me especially was the strength of the power, isn't that the best in Noah now? The strength of the power used to hit is strong. 
SOYA: I was taken aback by the feeling pressure from Kitamiya. Breaking under the pressure would be the case. Feelings are the most important thing in pro wrestling. Even when attacking he returns it, and so it makes your heart break. He is a wrestler who strongly feels the spirit of "Go For Broke". 
Q: Being exactly the same type, you have become a team of "tough bullfighters"
KITAMIYA: I just push through. I don't worry about escape or old techniques, I just smash straight away without worrying about it. 
SOYA: Until now I have had many partners who have made up for what I haven't had, but this is the first time to tag with someone similar. Make no mistake, I want to have a match with large bodies hitting the opponent's. 


Q: What is your impression of the champions Sugiura & Sakuraba? 
KITAMIYA: Takashi Sugiura always appears on the card, but the other one (Sakuraba) only occasionally appears in big matches, and yet he has a belt, and I don't like it. There is also the Sugiura Army's strangely friendly atmosphere. It's nauseating. The two old men with a playful atmosphere are holding the belts. I don't like those guys. 
Q: Certainly the atmosphere is different from Kongoh, who value tension. What about Soya? 
SOYA: I think individually they are strong, but what about actual teamwork? We, Kongoh, each have a strong belief. I think we are better in terms of team power.
Q: How will you take the belt? 
KITAMIYA: Those two, Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba, do what they want, and addicted to a valid tag match. That is why I think the key is not to get stuck in the tag work of two. I want to push through our own style, and screw it down without letting them function as a tag. 
SOYA: There is always the possibility that the match will be decided by submission, even with individual breakthrough power, I think it goes hand in hand with the opponents. But this time it is neither a single match or a six person tag, it's a tag to see how two people work together. I think the time will come when the two will be lost, and I want exploit that at once. 
Q: In terms of power and toughness, you seem to have the advantage. 
SOYA: Yeah. I want to demonstrate our uniqueness at 120%, and overcome in one go. 
Q: Are you thinking about any unique combinations between you to get the win? 
KITAMIYA: Please look forward to the day 
Q: Kitamiya, you have held the GHC Tag Team Championship three times, but you have not held any belts for three years. The situation continues in that you have been unsuccessful, including in the previous N-1.
KITAMIYA: It's all built up. The obsession with titles, the obsession with league matches, it's increasing day by day. However, I couldn't attack because the field of view was reversed by being narrowed by these emotions. Sure, I might have worn the belt three times in the past, but that is only a record. However, I have almost no defense, and I haven't been able to build a belt for any era. So this time I don't think it's just about simply taking it and being "Manabu Soya and Masa Kitamiya have a belt", I think someone is a champion only when he keeps defending with a strong impact. Whether it is a single or a tag, it is the mission of the champion to wear the belt and keep it protected. I think that is the value of the belt. However, I don't like The Sugiura Army, and I want to take the belt from them.
Q: Soya, it's been a half a year since you came to Noah and joined Kongoh. What kind of change do you feel? 
SOYA: Certainly there have been various things in the past, but now I am only looking at the present and at the future. Going to the ring, the original feelings of fighting do not change, but as long as I am in Noah I want to seek achievements in many forms as long as I work with Masa Kitamiya. 
Q: As for Kongoh, Kenoh has the GHC National, Nakajima is challenging for the GHC Heavyweight challenge, and you are challenging for the GHC Tag. This is an opportunity for Kongoh to monopolize the heavyweight belts.
KITAMIYA: I want to make something as all the timings are overlapping now. It has been over a year since Kongoh was formed, and now is the time to show the results. It is okay to say "I will stand out" or "I will leave an impact". 
SOYA: The number of people in Kongoh has increased, and Kongoh itself is gaining momentum. Furthermore, a chance to accelerate has come round. As a member I want to take the belt by fighting to the death...but I think I have to take it. 
Q: Finally, what is the significance of this title match again? 
SOYA: This is the first time that I have teamed up with a wrestler so similar to challenge for the title. On the contrary, I think I can find a new self in that, and I want to show you in the match that this is who we are. 
KITAMIYA: If we team up, it should be an as team that everyone imagines, that is why we have to perservere and "smash" the opponents because we are champions who can change the situation in an instant. There is no victory unless you forcibly finish it your own way. It will be a "penetrating" match.     
Picture credits: Noah.co.jp

Comments