(NOAH) Pro Wrestling Outstanding Performance Award, "I am Noah" Go Shiozaki, "I want to defend the belt again next year"

15th December 2020
Tokyo Sports.co.jp

The selection committee for the "2020 Pro Wrestling Awards", which was established by the Tokyo Sports Newspaper, which celebrated its 47th anniversary this year, was held online on the 14th, with Noah's GHC Heavyweight champion, Go Shiozaki (38) winning the Outstanding Performance award for the first time. In addition, EVIL, Kota Ibushi (38) and SUWAMA (44) were all nominated and except for EVIL, all three won the final vote. 

Shiozaki achieved his sixth defense of the GHC Heavyweight title in Noah's 20th anniversary year as the promotion came under a new system in the midst of the coronavirus. The selection committee highly evaluated the contents of the match, saying "Every defense is a high quality match. He has become a symbol of Noah in both name and reality".
Many of the first defense matches were memorable; in the first defense with Kazuyuki Fujita (50), this developed into a 31 minute stare down, there was the double title match with the National Champion, Kenoh (35), which came to a 60 minute time limit draw and the fierce battle of over 50 minutes with Takashi Sugiura (50). 

Shiozaki said mixing joy with some regret, "Thank you for choosing me. Although I am disappointed that I couldn't get the MVP, thank you". 

In 2020, when he led The Ark as champion, Shiozaki said "It has been a tough year for the world, and since there were only matches on screen as there were no spectators, Noah did not stop. I was confident in that sense." Also, speaking for next year, he said "I will do my best to make Noah take flight even more, to move upwards and move forward. I want to defend the belt again next year, and I will continue to demonstrate that I am Noah". Shiozaki is looking ahead to a long term title reign.

Comments