(NOAH) "I want to protect Noah", Misawa's soul is carved in his heart, determined to be the best against Keiji Mutoh ~ Interview with Go Shiozaki

Wednesday, 27th January 2021
Yahoo.co.jp\Encount

Interview Part 2
(Interviewer, "Show" Yasuaki Otani)

Noah's GHC Heavyweight Champion, Go Shiozaki (39), will be challenged at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on February 12th. Last year he defended six times, literally impressing "I am NOAH", among them is the battle with Akitoshi Saito. Speaking of Shiozaki and Saito, he cannot help but talk about the common ground with the late Mitsuharu Misawa. What did he feel when he looked back on the match, which "I had to do". What at the points to note in the upcoming Mutoh match? Shiozaki hits directly.

Q: I think Shiozaki is the successor to the so-called Four Pillars Wrestling from All Japan, but I also think that like them you are having matches of 40, 50 and even 60 minutes as well. 
SHIOZAKI: Naturally, I don't want to do that kind of long match. There is damage, however, there is rivalry with the opponent over power, but I think that winning the fight will be a match that will inspire me.
Q: I think it is a simple question, but I think you are injured all over. 
SHIOZAKI: There are some injuries from before, but rather than thinking that I can't do it due to an injury, it's better to be prepared to do it even if I am injured. If you are not prepared, I don't think you can have a match. 
Q: In the style of the Four Pillars wrestling, you had a match against Akitoshi Saito last year, it's a match we have to talk about, right? 

(Note, the match took place on June 14th at Korakuen Hall. Shiozaki was Misawa's last tag partner, Saito was Misawa's last opponent).

SHIOZAKI: That's right. I had a match against Saito in June (the month Misawa died), and I felt like I had to do it. Of course, I didn't ask Saito about his feelings, but as we have the same feelings, I am glad I was able to have a match at that timing. 
Q: I think you were able to do that match while avoiding unpleasant things.
SHIOZAKI: No, it shouldn't be ignored or passed over. It is the same for Saito, and I think it was a match that confronted it head on, and I am glad that Saito and I were able to fight each other. 
Q: What is your most memorable memory of Misawa? 
SHIOZAKI: What kind of person was Misawa? I think there are many people who don't know generally, and I don't really know myself, but I think he lived facing things, and not running. I have the impression that he is a true leader, who took care of the people around him. 
Q: One thing I remember is that when Yoshihiro Takayama belonged to Noah, he consulted with Misawa as he wanted to go PRIDE. He was a Noah wrestler who was on an NTV broadcast, and could not appear in PRIDE that was being broadcast on FUJI TV, he said of his contract "Then, should I become free..." That is why Takayama went to PRIDE as a freelancer.
SHIOZAKI: Yes
Q: When I heard that story, I thought he had the generous qualities of a leader. 
SHIOZAKI: That's right. I think he was the type to say, "I'll do something about it". Because of such a point, I don't think we can understand Misawa's thoughts of protecting Noah. 

Katsuhiko Nakajima is the opponent you were able to interact with, because he is that guy

Q: The next thing I would like to ask is about the story of the match against Katsuhiko Nakajima (November 22nd, 202, Yokohama Budokan). To be honest, the moment the match is over, I personally thought it would be the best match of the year. 
SHIOZAKI grins
Q: It wasn't selected for the Pro Wrestling Awards, but it's a wonder it went so far. It became scary to see.
SHIOZAKI: But that is the GHC title match. That is Noah's fight
Q: But, I wonder if the reason that you were able to interact with each other so well, was because you both subconsciously had various feelings. 
SHIOZAKI: Katsuhiko Nakajima and I had formed a tag called AXIZ, but he betrayed me (bitter laugh). There were various things from there, and it became a title match. I was angry that I had been betrayed, and by reflecting during the title match, that I debuted in 2004 at the same time. Maybe because of Katsuhiko Nakajima it was because we could interact with each other, maybe because Go Shiozaki is the opponent we could interact with each other. I got that kind of feeling during the match. We were able to express each other's thoughts. "No matter how much you try, I won't fall down. No matter how hard we hit each other, no matter how much we try".
Q: The match between Kenta Kobashi and Kensuke Sasaki, who were both your teachers, took place at the Tokyo Dome on July 18th 2005. Let me give you a personal opinion, I just can't like that match.
SHIOZAKI gives a wry smile 
Q: Oh, you don't have to say anything (laughs). It's just a personal opinion compared to that match, but the match between Shiozaki and Nakajima is about a million times more my favorite. 
SHIOZAKI: Thank you (laughs)
Q: It is just a matter of opinion, so not good or bad I think...I'm sorry.
SHIOZAKI: Oh no no
Q: I wondered how far it would go
SHIOZAKI: I think the match was possible because of the timing, and that is why all of this is connected. There was the pride that both of us have had almost the same career, the tag forming, and also the thought that he had betrayed me. 
Q: You had various thoughts.
SHIOZAKI: I also didn't want to lose to Katsuhiko Nakajima, the champion of the "NP1" league match. I think various thoughts became piled up in that match. "Because it's go Shiozaki, I can interact". I could feel that kind of feeling during the match. 

Keiji Mutoh on the 12th February, and the points to watch out for

Q: Immediately after the match, Takashi Sugiura challenged and said, "I am next". On December 6th you had another title match, but can you do it skillfully and continue with motivation? 
SHIOZAKI: No, I think that is the GHC
Q: Amazing
SHIOZAKI: That is the battle of the GHC, the history of the GHC, and I think that is the battle of Noah. No matter what kind of fight or match, the GHC will create a fight that will go beyond that, so yes.
Q: Do you feel different now than when you had a belt in the past? 
SHIOZAKI: I think it's different. At that time, the feelings for the belt and the feelings for Noah were different. By putting the belt on in such a situation now, I have come to think more about the value of the GHC Heavyweight. Don't lose its value. I thought about raising it further. 
Q: The title matches that I haven't touched on right now include Kaito Kiyomiya, Naomichi Marufuji, Kenoh and Takashi Sugiura. All of them were fierce fights. 
SHIOZAKI: No matter which wrestler I fight against, "I am Noah", no matter what match was seen in the ring, it was amazing to do. I am conscious that this is Noah, and I want to fight even more than that. 
Q: I understand. For the next defense, you have been challenged by Keiji Mutoh at the Nippon Budokan on February 12th. 
SHIOZAKI: Yes
Q: He is a legend that who has won every title in the past, is that a precisely important point? 
SHIOZAKI: What you should pay attention to, is his current condition 
Q: Condition? 
SHIOZAKI: Mutoh's. Whether his condition is bad or not, Keiji Mutoh will attack. I can't read that person.
Q: Can't read? 
SHIOZAKI: Is he useless because his knees are bad? Honestly, I don't know, because he will still launch attacks. That is not something you can read, right? That is why I think a wrestler named Keiji Mutoh has been created, and that is why if you don't think of him as someone in their heyday, you are going to get hurt. I am aware to win I will need to recive all the experience of the man named Keiji Mutoh, and I need to cultivate everything. 
Q: Of course, I don't know what will happen along the way, but will the match with Mutoh be ended with a moonsault or a powerful lariat? How will it be? 
SHIOZAKI: It is something you do with feelings, rather than any technique. I have to break the emotions of Keiji Mutoh, because I can't win otherwise. I want to beat a Keiji Mutoh who is more amazing than in his heyday.
Q: You won't know until it's over, but if you win the match against Mutoh, the next challenger will come. 
SHIOZAKI: No, I am grateful for them for coming (laughs). I think that is my mission as a champion. I will win no matter what opponent comes. I only have that feeling. 

Comments