(NOAH) "Baba's shoulders were higher than the top rope..." Noah's Marufuji talks about "Returning to the Sacred Place" for the first time in 11 years, and his memories of The Budokan.

4th February 2021
Yahoo.co.jp\ABEMA Times

Pro Wrestling Noah, who have been fighting under the slogan "BACK TO THE BUDOKAN", while imposing strict infection prevention measures on themselves due to the Coronavirus, return to the sacred place, The Nippon Budokan, for the first time in eleven years. Before the upcoming event, "DESTINATION 2021 ~ BACK TO THE BUDOKAN~" next week, "The face of Noah", Naomichi Marufuji (41) appeared on "ABEMA PRIME", and talked about his current feelings. 
For Marufuji, who made his debut at All Japan in 1998 at the age of eighteen. The Budokan is a place of memories of senior wrestlers. 

"There were many, Noah held events at The Budokan six times a year. Since it hasn't been possible to go there for eleven years, there are few wrestlers in Noah now who have experienced The Budokan. We can finally go back, and it will be a good experience for younger wrestlers. At the time of my debut, Giant Baba was alive. Once I was told to "Ride" and so I used Baba's shoulders, which was higher than the top rope, and I dropkicked the opponent from there. I also have memories of the late President, Mitsuharu Misawa. I was his second from 18 to 21 years old, and I always used to wonder if a situation would ever arise when I challenged the champion Mitsuharu Misawa someday. In reality, it was Misawa who challenged me as the champion, and I lost (laughs). I can't forget that match, he wasn't going to give up his era. I still can't sit in Misawa's seat in the waiting room, it's the same at Korakuen Hall, and when I see someone sitting there without knowing it, I think it's incredible" (Note, doesn't translate well, it's like saying that you think someone has a slight nerve). 

The event will take place under an extended state of emergency. Various restrictions have also been imposed, such as conducting PCR on all people involved, and the rules for watching matches. 

"Now, the number of events have decreased, and we have them about twice a month, and we carry out PCR tests for each one. The first time I couldn't spit, so I did it while looking at a picture of pickled plums on my mobile phone (laughs). I have gotten used to it now, so I accumulate spit for five minutes before. Everyone can do it now and it only takes a second. I have thought of wanting to excite pro wrestling, but I think it is important to stick to the guidance. It is also the case that capacity is kept below 5,000, and it is also the case that people cannot cheer out loud. Don't ever let it be said here that, "Pro Wrestling is no good doing that". I think that the form of the matches have changed, but we have to protect the wrestlers, employees and their families, and it is hard, but it is something we have to deal with".

Kenta Kobashi, who made a guest appearance at the live broadcast of the Yokohama event held in November of last year pointed out, "I watched the event after undergoing a PCR test, and it is exceptional to see it at ringside. I think that the number of people who watch it online is increasing, but if you are lucky enough to get a ticket, but I think you can enjoy it in this situation. Cheering is prohibited, so the venue is quiet, but you can hear the sounds of the bodies colliding with each other. "So audible! It was so much!" I would like to see a match between wrestlers with similar abilities, but I think the better the matchmaking, the longer the match time."

Marufuji said, "The semi and the main events are one match, both at sixty minutes etc. We have to accelerate the start time of the match regarding the Nippon Budokan this time, we have bought it forward from 18:00 to 16:30. In Pro Wrestling, the "first match" is also very important. From the first match to main event, if each person does not have strong determination, it won't come together as one package."

In the main event, legend Keiji Mutoh will challenge the GHC Heavyweight Go Shiozaki, who said, "I will take on anyone's challenge, anytime, anywhere" to Mutoh's, "Let me challenge for the belt at the Nippon Budokan." 

Marufuji called out, saying, "This is our long awaited Nippon Budokan. If you can come to the venue, please come and visit us. If you can't, I would appreciate it if you could watch it live. Please support pro wrestling".  

Comments