(NOAH) Go Shiozaki: "I intend to be the heart and soul of Pro-Wrestling NOAH"


Voxcatch.Fr
8th February 2021

Q: Hi Go! Next Friday, you will have your 7th defense for the GHC Heavyweight championship against Keiji Muto, one of the very best puroresu athletes, no more, no less. How do you feel about that very special single match?
SHIOZAKI: Well, I became GHC Heavyweight Champion at the very start of 2020 and I had to defend that title during the whole year. For my first defense of 2021, Keiji Muto will be my challenger. For me he’s one of the best, who accomplished so many feats and who helped spread pro-wrestling when I was just a young fan. I believe he’s one of the best challengers possible, he has all the in-ring abilities, the talent, the experience, even the reputation and above all an incredible presence. This match is one of the best occasions to spread pro-wrestling further and show what’s amazing about it.
Q: Last September, Kaito Kiyomiya told us Pro Wrestling Noah was brand new, reborn. Do you agree with him? You’ve been in Noah for so long, what do you think about it?
SHIOZAKI: I’m not sure what he meant but I don’t personally feel like Pro Wrestling Noah is being reborn. We did change comparatively to what we used to do in the past but the past is still there, as is the present and future and I don't believe we did enough to move forward. We are still trying to get out of our shell by doing our best and when we'll manage that we don't know what Pro Wrestling Noah will look like, it's inevitable. Of course I intend to be the heart and soul of the future Pro Wrestling Noah.
Q: You currently hold the GHC Heavyweight title for the fourth time, a record you share with Takashi Sugiura. You've been champion for almost 400 days. Looking back, how do you feel about that record-breaking reign?
SHIOZAKI: Records don't matter, just like the number of reigns or days during which I was champion. Records are meant to be broken and I think the fans are waiting impatiently for it to happen [the record is currently held by Kenta Kobashi with 735 days between March 2003 and March 2005]. As long as this record exists I'd like to break it above anything else. I care a lot about this one and also want to keep on fighting with everything I have so I can show the fans something they will never forget. Keep on creating memories and memorable matches. I'll keep on showing what's wrestling to me and I'll defend this title as many times as possible. I'm the only one who can do that.
Q: 2020 has been eventful for you despite the state the world’s in because of COVID-19. All your defenses were critically acclaimed. How are you feeling about that?
SHIOZAKI: If there hadn't been a COVID-19 pandemic, we would have been able to wrestle in front of the fans like we've always done and we would have made progress in another way. However, I can now say that I had the experience of wrestling with no crowd. I will forever remember that time and all of those defenses throughout the year, they remain truly memorable to me and I'm grateful that we didn't stop, that I was able to continue being GHC Heavyweight Champion, able to move forward. Finally, don't forget that I am NOAH!.

Translated by Milo from Voxcatch.Fr

Comments