(NOAH) Go Shiozaki reveals the "Teaching of Mitsuharu Misawa", "I can't run away...I don't want to lie".

31st January 2021
Yahoo.co.jp\Sports Hochi

The match that Shiozaki can say is his "origin", and that he will never forget, is from March 1st 2003 when the challenger Kenta Kobashi defeated champion Mitsuharu Misawa, and took the GHC Heavyweight Championship for the first time. 

When he was twenty-one years old, he was working a part time job after graduating from Tokai University Kumamoto High School, he saw Noah's fierce fight on TV, and decided to attend the "Rookie Public Audition". He sent his resume, passed the test and entered. On the 24th July 2004, at Differ Ariake, he teamed with Tamon Honda and made his debut in a match against Jun Akiyama and Makoto Hashi. The memory of "Misawa vs Kobashi" from eighteen years ago, is still vividly engraved in Shiozaki's memory.

"I still remember it. I think it's quite difficult to surpass that match, but I always have a desire to overcome it. But I don't think that match is everything. However, I was really impressed to watch that match. It was impressive for people watching, and it's amazing to touch people's hearts."
The power of "Misawa vs Kobashi" touched his life. Although the match caught Shiozaki's heart, many people (and not just on March 1st 2003), have been influenced by the series of battles between the two, which have continued since their All Japan era. For Shiozaki, it boosted a life changing decision. The "Misawa vs Kobashi" combination that so impressed people, is Shiozaki's "origin". He joined Noah, and revealed what he had learned from Mitsuharu Misawa. 

"No matter what the situation, I won't run away". It is the same with taking moves, you can't escape under any circumstances. That is true for me, not to mention pro wrestling. That's right. I think that is connected to my life". 

Shiozaki was the tag partner in the match at Hiroshima Green Arena on June 13th 2009, when Misawa died in an accident. Misawa kept the belief that "no matter what the situation, I won't run away" until the end, and Shiozaki saw this in the ring. 

"The idea of "don't run away" is the same for all Noah wrestlers. On the contrary, everyone has the desire to take any attack. Misawa, Kobashi, Taue...what our predecessors made, it is the work that the remaining juniors have inherited, and it is is inevitable as long as you fight in Noah."

Why was it possible for Misawa to be able to fight to that point? 

"Why is that...to be honest, up to that point there are some things that I don't understand". 

He told the secret shortly afterwards. 

"It wasn't just Misawa, Kobashi also said it "I don't want to lie to myself". I don't want to run away, I am always in that state of mind. I don't think it will be much of a fight unless you stick to the belief that you don't want to lie. Of course, I think it also meant showing that professional wrestlers are amazing, and that they can take any technique. But, more than that, I think he didn't just want to run away, and he didn't want to lie, so he went through with it in the ring."

Receive the technique with all your might, don't run away from the fight that does not lie, is the cornerstone of GHC champion, Shiozaki. 

"At it's core, it is based on a match that impressed me as a fan. That has not changed. To be honest, I don't want to run away from any technique (laughs). However, to endure it, is amazing. Misawa took all his opponents techniques without escaping, even if he suffered serious injuries such as his neck and his knees. Kobashi also took it without running away. Those people were before me, and I am still trying to catch up"

Comments