(NOAH) Interview with Keiji Mutoh before The Budokan, keywords are "dream", "philosophy", "origin", "first impression" and "eat shit".


11th February 2021
Noah.co.jp

The Nippon Budokan event on the 12th February, where Keiji Mutoh will challenge for he GHC Heavyweight Championship, is finally approaching. After undergoing knee arthroplasty, Keiji Mutoh has been attracted by Noah, who are making various efforts under a new system, and at the age of 58, he wanted to challenge for the highest belt in the group. If he wins, he will be crowned the oldest holder of the title. He knows that there are pros and cons to the challenge itself, but how will he go into action? In addition to this he will give his analysis of the champion, Go Shiozaki, the difference between Noah and his own "philosophy", the title match where he cannot use the Moonsault, and a Budokan with half the capacity and no cheering, The Three Musketeers, The Four Heavenly Kings, and corona and the change in pro wrestling etc. Mutoh speaks from perspective before the "Dream" challenge of the GHC. 

Interview with Keiji Mutoh

Q: First of all, what is your impression of the champion, Go Shiozaki? 
MUTOH: He's a very strong champion. The conditional part is the same, strong power and with stamina. Also, and this is my personal opinion, the shadow of President Misawa also flickers there. Outwardly he looks like Kobashi, but in his way of deep thinking, I feel this is like Misawa. 
Q: So, it's like a condensation of "Noah" so far. However, you have emphasized the difference in growth and the origin of the Noah wrestlers. 
MUTOH: Yes, it's completely different. Pro Wrestling is basically something where you can do anything, and everyone has their own philosophy. Noah has Noah's philosophy, and I have my own philosophy or foundation. After all, I started by watching Inoki. 
Q: After seeing the GHC match between Shiozaki and Sugiura, it was often mentioned that you had said, "This style is from the time of The Four Heavenly Kings. My bible is different. I don't go along with this style."
MUTOH: This can be said not only for Noah, but for the entire modern pro wrestling world. Techniques are in a state of deflation (i.e. the price is low), how much skill do we want to bring it to inflation? So how to increase the value of "one shot". I have cultivated a pro wrestling life with that in mind, so I want to tap into that philosophy. 
Q: Which style will you be pulling in? 
MUTOH: Hmmm, maybe this (different in style), is also professional wrestling, so there is chemistry...it's a chemical reaction. 
Q: With philosophies colliding, something different from both may be born...? 
MUTOH: Yeah, I hope it produces something good, but there is also a possibility that something that is not beautiful may be born. That is also the depth of pro wrestling. 
Q: In April of last year, you became a freelancer and started a full scale participation in Noah. You said early on you were aiming for the GHC Heavyweight, and have gone through the process carefully. 
MUTOH: As long as I am climbing a mountain called Noah, do I want to reach the summit? Because I am climbing the mountain, I need to show my presence in the ring first in order to do that. Also, I personally needed to check the condition. I was in a situation where I hadn't had singles matches in recent years, I underwent an operation (artificial knee joint), and after having singles matches against Kiyomiya and Taniguchi, I was asked "Are you okay?", and so with the conviction that "it was okay", various times, places and opportunities have all presented themselves.
Q: Regarding your condition, it was impressive that you said, "I try not to lose to the Keiji Mutoh of yesterday" every day, and if this is "the Keiji Mutoh of three years ago, I will lose". 
MUTOH: My condition was tough from 45 to 55 years old. I continued wrestling, but my knees were worn out. Since I was about 50 I have been thinking about artificial joints, but then I would have had to have quit wrestling. If that was the case, then it was no good, and the conflict continued. About three years ago, I got to know the doctor who taught my current doctor and he told me that I didn't have to quit pro wrestling even if I had artificial joints. Trusting in what he said, I had surgery, and now I am in a better condition than I was at that time (10 years between the ages of 45 and 55), and now I can practice. 
Q: You could use the machines now that you couldn't do..
MUTOH: I had a limit to what I could do with my legs, because it hurt. It's better now. I don't think it's better than the knees I was born with, but I can do aerobic exercise (not muscle training) now, and so of course my condition will improve.
Q: In that process, you felt that you could have a single match again? 
MUTOH: Yeah. I asked myself questions throughout the matches with Kiyomiya and Taniguchi, I'm not 100% satisfied with myself, but its okay for me to reach that line. 
Q: However, it is extremely unusual at the age of 58 to aim for the main belt in a promotion. 
MUTOH: I was worried about it. Maybe I was getting in the way of others in the pro wrestling world by coming out like this? But! If you back down then you are "Zero". There is nothing. If you take a step, you may be criticized. But surely "something" will be born and it won't be "zero". I don't like "Zero" as long as I am climbing a mountain. That is why I made the decision. I don't really know what you think, but the rest depends on me. 
Q: The pre-match with Shiozaki was even with one win and one loss, but the impact of losing to the moonsault was strong.
MUTOH: That is probably the first time I have had a moonsault done on me. The other day, Big Japan's Yasufumi Nakanoue became the champion and I got a call, "I'm sorry, I used the moonsault", but that bastard Shiozaki...he used it without permission, and then he did the moonsault on me! (Laughs) He's a completely rude guy...
Q: The moonsault is forbidden after artificial joint surgery, and so it has become "the title match without a moonsault"
MUTOH: Well, if I was fine, then I could have made a more beautiful and a more convincing moonsault, but in a good way it was an opportunity that made me think. Originally, it would be "Shit! Your gonna do a moonsault? I want to show you MY moonsault". But I can't do that, and I have to think about how to make a convincing defeat. So, how do I defeat now in a convincing way? I have to think about that. Other than skill, I think there is no choice but to make a defeat using story rather than technique in the match. 
Q: What about the long-awaited stage for Noah fans at The Budokan, and the situation where you will be standing in the main? 
MUTOH: When I started to go to Noah in earnest, it was when Corona started. However, as the Corona situation progressed, I also felt the momentum of Noah (who were making various efforts) and so from that day I have been here. However, I have had many matches at The Nippon Budokan. Looking back, I have had matches where there were a lot of customers, but when I became the representative of All Japan, I found that the number of customers gradually disappeared and I struggled. 
Q: Certainly, you had the experience of "I had to leave The Budokan", when you were the president of the Mutoh era of All Japan.
MUTOH: That's right. The atmosphere there is really annoying, isn't it? It's big, and if there are customers, then it is a very good space, but...well, im this corona situation, we can't accommodate all the customers (due to the fixed number of people and restrictions on cheering), and that's really disappointing. To the guy who was booing me, I was confident that I could bring a "Wow!" (to the cheering situation) and it may have been possible to change from everybody booing. I can do anything.
Q: No cheering, 50% capacity at The Budokan, this will be the first in a long career
MUTOH: Well, the audience at the venue didn't say yes or no when I debuted in New Japan over 35 years ago. There was no admission song. However, Inoki's teaching at that time was, "Always look at your opponent an have a match". Because they didn't say anything either way, I was really angry to have had a match to have flattered the customers. Because this is my starting point, this is my "origin". 
Q: Since people cannot come to the venue, the range of video distribution is expanding and wrestling is transforming as content. 
MUTOH: There is something I think about the broadcast on ABEMA. You can watch it on your smartphone can't you? For example, lets say a young person happens to see pro wrestling on ABEMA without knowing anything. But, if the big man is fighting for 40 or 50 minutes, maybe he would change the channel suddenly? Maybe that is something I have to be aware of. The important thing is when you look at your smartphone is the "first impression". If it is good, you will keep watching. 
Q: I see...so what kind of scenery do you want to see when you become a champion? 
MUTOH: I can't depict such a thing, and I won't be able to see the scenery until I go to the top. But from the history of the past, I have been taking belts in the places that I go to and then again a belt in the next place I go to. At the time there was a lively atmosphere, whether it was New Japan, All Japan, NWA or WCW. Also, as the social life itself changes in Corona, I feel that there is a sad situation of the elderly being pushed out of society. For those people of the same generation, I want them to get well. Plus, in the pro wrestling world, Lyger retired last year, and Nakanishi has also retired. The mood of "old people being abandoned on the mountain" is gradually emerging...eat shit!. I want to show you that kind of nature.
Q: People who have shorter careers than you are also retiring, but do you feel like you are heading in the other direction? 
MUTOH: Yes, although I am sorry to say that I am the only left out of the Three Musketeers and Four Heavenly Kings who is active. Rather, I think it's my "specialty". 
Q: If you win, you will be crowned with having "Three major titles" and in the promotion you have now the record of being the oldest, which is unprecedented at the age of 58. Is this once again towards your "dream" of taking the GHC? 
MUTOH: Since, I set out to be challenger, I have been attracting attention and been getting more and more enthusiastic about practicing. It feels good to be a wrestler with a sense of fulfillment. I want to taste that stimulation "more and more". 

Comments