(NOAH) "Betraying customers positively", Keiji Mutoh on the 14th March is the first step in "independence from Mitsuharu Misawa" for Kaito Kiyomiya.

13th March 2021
Yahoo.co.jp\ABEMA TIMES

The new GHC Heavyweight Champion, Keiji Mutoh, defeated Kiyomiya in both of the two pre-matches before the challenge on March 14th at the Fukuoka International Center. Kiyomiya was not pinned, but what are Kaito Kiyomiya's thoughts and comments? 

Kiyomiya became interested in wrestling, when he accidentally borrowed Mitsuharu Misawa vs Yoshihiro Takayama (Ariake Colosseum = the first GHC Heavyweight Championship, April 15th 2001), by chance when he was in the second or third grade of elementary school. His memory of Mutoh is not of The Three Musketeers, but the natural born master who has become bald. Kiyomiya says, "He sometimes fought against Misawa at the Tokyo Dome, so it was just an image of someone very cool."

Kiyomiya's first encounter with Mutoh was at the EDION Arena Osaka on September 15th 2019, when he was the GHC Heavyweight Champion. It was Kiyomiya, Mutoh & Jun Akiyama vs Naomichi Marufuji, Masaaki Mochizuki & Shuhei Taniguchi, which was made at Kiyomiya's request. In the match, Kiyomiya pinned Taniguchi with a Tiger Suplex, but what was his personal experience? 

"I was holding the belt then, so other than fighting for it, I had the desire to improve my skills as a champion, I had the desire to improve my skills as a champion by going toe to toe with people who are experienced champions, and Mutoh was the one who emerged especially, so did Akiyama. I thought it would be more sensible to team up, other than to fight. When I actually had the match, I felt like I was defeated (in terms of presence), because even though I had the belt, Mutoh and Akiyama both stood it. It was a good source of food for thought."

About a year later, Kiyomiya, who had lost the championship, wanted to fight instead of teaming up this time. He decided to step into Mutoh's inexhaustible realm. 

"I have always imagined the next time I become champion, so it was a good opportunity. I like to make a match flow from the basics, when I am in a match with Mutoh, he moves according to logic and so I learned a lot. I like ground attacks, and Mutoh is very good at returning. Because I don't have an experience in Martial Arts, I get absorbed in the basics such as fighting with arms, which I enjoyed all the way. I want to be showy at my entrance, and then finish the battle in the ring in that manner as it's a lot of fun to have this feeling of tension in the early stages. I use my head and say, "If I have come at it in this way, then lets do it like this". It's really interesting to see, it was like a circle of wisdom."

Mutoh says, "The early stages of five minutes on the ground is fun", and it was the same with you who is from a different generation. That is why the offense and defense of you both on the ground is always spectacular. But this time, it's not just something to enjoy, it's a crucial match where the belt is at stake.

"I think that I have no choice but to believe in what I have improved on with Mutoh since last summer, so I am confident that what I have done so far is my strength. If things get strange, then it can't be helped, so I think there is no choice but to bring out my strengths and surpass them there. Feeling uncomfortable is no good, the hesitation becomes a gap. I have no indecisive feelings, so I think I have to believe in my technique.

At the same time as your reinstatement to the GHC Heavyweight Championship, you are aiming to have the image of being the "successor to Mitsuharu Misawa", but by bringing out the style of Kaito Kiyomiya. After losing to Shiozaki, you stopped wearing a green costume in Misawa's color.

"I don't wear green as my costume, I think some people think I am still perhaps wearing it. How can I betray the customers who have a feeling for that color? This match against Mutoh is the first step in "independence from Misawa." 

While doing an interview, words spilled out in this way that seemed to be the key to the match. 

On the 12th February at the Nippon Budokan, a headbutt was bought out against Marufuji. 

"I used to play soccer, and I was wondering if there was a way I could incorporate the movement of it somewhere. There was construction going on at the dojo, and it happened that the man who came to do the building works, was my old soccer coach. Then the memory of playing soccer came back at once, and while I was doing lifting, I remembered things such as "I played on defense, and headed the ball from the corner". While thinking about it, I remembered that "everyone headbutts from the front, but in soccer, you learn to hit the ball from here" (slightly diagonally on the forehead).

A new technique incorporating soccer may be seen in the match against Mutoh. The decisive battle...not just victory or defeat, but also the content of the match, I asked him to talk about the points he would like you to see. 

"While there are various ranges in pro wrestling, this is Noah's fight, Kaito Kiyomiya's fight..."If Keiji Mutoh and Kaito Kiyomiya fight, it is going to be a match like this. Wrestling is really interesting". I want to show you that. I want the fans in Hakata to primarily enjoy the fun of pro wrestling".

Comments