(NOAH) "Masa will definitely come down to the venue", April 29th in Nagoya, Mutoh and Kitamiya clash over the GHC Heavyweight. Masa Saito's wife, Satoko, talks about her thoughts.


ABEMA TIMES
27th April 2021

"Masa will definitely come to the venue"

As the main event of the big match at Noah's springtime show on the 29th April in Nagoya, the GHC Heavyweight Championship between champion Keiji Mutoh and challenger Masa Kitamiya will be held. The highlight of this battle is the shadow of Masa Saito, who died at the age of 75 in July 2018 after a long fight with Parkinson's disease. 
For the champion Mutoh, as a Japanese wrestler, he was both a pioneer and a mentor in America. At Masa's funeral, Mutoh read the condolence address*. For Masa Kitamiya, he is a teacher who has instructed him in pro wrestling since he was a trainee in the Kensuke Office. In admiration, he inherited the name of "Masa", his spirit, fighting style and his motto "GO FOR BROKE". Their first single showdown will be held for the GHC belt. 

*This is not a memorial address to the mourners, this is a farewell address to the deceased. 

On the day of the match, Masa Saito's widow, Satoko, will visit. Before the big event, I asked Satoko to talk about what Mutoh and Kitamiya meant to Masa, and her thoughts on the battle between them. 
(Interviewer Horie Gants)

Q: At this time, Keiji Mutoh and Masa Kitamiya, two wrestlers who are closely connected to Masa Saito, will have a GHC Heavyweight title match. How do you feel about the name "Masa Saito" being highlighted again? 
SATOKO: I'm happy, after Masa died, I decided that it was my mission to preserve it. I am grateful for such an opportunity. 


Q: Both wrestlers have a close relationship with Masa, but you have known Mutoh for a long time, haven't you? 
SATOKO: From the New Japan pro wrestling era in the 1980s. I think their wavelengths matched. When I was working as an interpreter for New Japan in the 90s I didn't know much about pro wrestling at the time, and so when I wanted to learn about each wrestler I would ask Masa about them. So when I asked "What kind of wrestler is Mutoh", it was striking that he returned with "Genius". 
Q: Above all, Mutoh was effectively the "last opponent" wasn't he?

*At the Masa Saito support produce, "STRONG STYLE HISTORY ~ GO FOR BROKE! FOREVER~" held at the Joto Kumin Center in Osaka, as Masa was making a speech in the ring, a "Pirate Man", wearing a hockey mask suddenly rushed in. Although Masa is suffering Parkinson's disease, he attacks him. Masa stands on his own and knocks him down with a chop, repeating stomps. When the Pirate takes off his mask, it is revealed to be Keiji Mutoh. For Masa, whose mobility was limited, the fight was very moving.
(You can watch this for free on WrestleUniverse here

Q: The "match" with the Mutoh dressed as a pirate, was very meaningful to Masa, wasn't it?
SATOKO: It was a big thing for him because it was a ring he had dreamed of. Masa had been living fighting Parkinson's disease for a long time, and I think to fight that painful reality he set himself a tremendous goal of "standing in the ring again". There must have been a strong will with that "Dreams will never end" and "I am not going to end like this". It must have been there. Masa is an amazing person, when the chance came he said, "I've done it. I've won!", and had the confidence he would do it. So, after the "extra fight" with Mutoh was decided, his countenance changed. Back in his element, he began to actively work on his rehabilitation. At the hospital there was a physiotherapist who had a good physique and liked pro wrestling, he even practiced sparring with him. 
Q: It seems that he usually practised walking, but he also practiced wrestling. On the night of the Osaka event, everyone was surprised to see Masa fighting against the man dressed as a pirate. It seemed hard for him to walk, but he was able to move in the ring. 


SATOKO: That is the spell of the ring, and I felt it was the best power spot for Masa. After the fight, I was in daze. After he fell he stood up alone without any assistance, it was only that time, not before or after when he headed towards Mutoh in the ring. I couldn't believe it myself, just GO FOR BROKE! I felt like he had done everything with his whole soul. When we returned to the hotel, having barely finished his food, he fell into a deep sleep. I think it was the most fulfilling day in his fight against illness. 
Q: At that time, Masa was losing control over himself, right? 
SATOKO: It was a hard to watch as he fought against aggressive Parkinson's disease, and I still cry when I remember it. My jaw still trembles, and I remember hitting it with great force.
Q: He was so frustrated that his body does not move as he wanted 
SATOKO: It was pure darkness for him, but what made him positive was being involved in the ring. 
Q: Masa Kitamiya was a student at the time when Masa was the wrestler advisor at the Kensuke Office. Practicing with those young wrestlers I think was very fulfilling for Masa. 
SATOKO: After developing Parkinson's disease, I think it was his happiest time. Masa was invited by Kensuke (Sasaki), from the standpoint of training young wrestlers under the title of "Wrestler Advisor". The way I saw it, was that the dojo of the Kensuke Office was like a "school that loves pro wrestling", and I felt like he couldn't help but look forward to "going to school" every morning. That is why for Kitamiya, I think he felt like a schoolmate who loves pro wrestling (laughs) 
Q: In truth, Masa didn't like to use the expression "Trainee" or "Student". 


SATOKO: I think they were kindred spirits. From Masa's point of view, Kitamiya was about the age of a grandson, but there was no such thing as a barrier between generations. It wasn't like Masa, who is in a position to teach, and a dojo student at all, they were kindred spirits who loved pro wrestling. Once, Masa became ill at practice and Kitamiya and some others bought him home. He was at the front door of the apartment, but he didn't want to walk through the front door, he didn't want to part from everyone. Even when I said that they had to go home and they would be early, he grumbled and lingered. 
Q: It's like a child saying, "I want to play outside" and having a tantrum (laughs) 
SATOKO: Yes. They were really like elementary school students, it was like he was complaining as he didn't want to part with his friends (laughs). 
Q: What did you think when Kitamiya offered to inherit the name "Masa"? 
SATOKO: I was surprised at the time. We got a call from the manager of Pro Wrestling Noah, and Masa answered immediately with "Oh, it's fine". It was an honor for Kitamiya for Masa to say that he wanted him to inherit his name, I think he was very happy. 
Q: At the April 29th Nagoya event, Mutoh and Kitamiya will fight for the GHC Heavyweight belt. 
SATOKO: I am sure that Masa will come down to the venue on the day. In the end, it is a match between Mutoh, who made Masa's dream come true, and Kitamiya who inherited his name. I am curious, and I certainly want to see it. I can't wait for it. 
Q: In a sense, Masa will be the "special witness"
SATOKO: Well, I guess so. He has been watching Kitamiya practice since he was a dojo student, and I think Masa is impressed now that he has reached the championship with Mutoh. I wish them both all the best of luck. 
Q: Finally, can you give a message to the fans who have supported Masa Saito for many years? 
SATOKO: I am filled with emotion to hear that Mutoh, a great friend of Masa's and who fulfilled his dream to stand in the ring one last time, and Masa Kitamiya, who inherited Masa's name, will have a match. In this match everyone has said, "I miss you Masa", and I hope it will give them the chance to remember and I hope that they will continue to enliven the pro wrestling that Mutoh, Masa Kitamiya and Masa had loved for a long time. Thank you. 

Comments