(NOAH) Interview: Takashi Sugiura's measures against ground fighting & fails in Rock-Paper-Scissors "special training" to stop the negative chain of the fight with Sakuraba.


30th May 2021
Pro Wrestling DX

Q: The day is coming when you will fight Sakuraba in a title match again
SUGIURA: I'm not so surprised. Last time it was a match with Fujita, originally I wanted to work with various opponents for the National (*with a sense of differentiating from the GHC Heavyweight)
Q: Do you see Kazushi Sakuraba, who has always been your partner, as an "opponent?"
SUGIURA: It's difficult! I lost in the outpost, and it's hard. I didn't notice this when he was my partner. The technical part is certainly great, but it's not normal pro wrestling theory and so it's hard to make the rhythm of the match in that sense. 
Q: The match against Fujita was a fierce head on match, even this time it is a same unit confrontation...
SUGIURA: It is going to be a completely different match. I fought Fujita on the same level, but Sakuraba doesn't get out of his realm thoroughly, its when he gets into a ground fight he sets up a "head on match".
Q: In the pre-match you lost when you tapped out to a foot lock after being bought into a ground fight, but what are the measures? 
SUGIURA: That is why I went to take measures against ground fighting. At the gym Kazushi Sakuraba was there, and I got one point many times! I have also mastered legs!
Q: No way to take measures against the person himself...
SUGIURA: There were only three people to practice with Minnowman, Miki Wataru who runs the gym (Natural Nine) and Sakuraba, I had no choice but to tune it while sparring. 
Q: On the contrary, you may have lost your confidence...
SUGIURA: Shut up! It's no good having a match there! How to avoid being drawn into a ground fight, and even if it becomes one defend as hard as you can and then standing back up and how bringing it back it back to your own form?
Q: Do you have an image of how you want to win? 
SUGIURA: There is...well, there isn't. I can't imagine it at all, hmmm...(thinks for a long time)
Q: Now, lets change the story a little. Since you have more of a relationship than before, what is your impression of Kazushi Sakuraba as a person? 
SUGIURA: Well, I have known him for a long time since I went to the Takada Dojo or Rafter Seven for training, but when he came to Noah and I got to know him better I thought, "Well, unexpectedly he isn't so bad." I had heard from other people that "Sakuraba doesn't really open up". I wonder if he is more open to me, but I can't talk about it. It's been a long time since I talked about the matter when I got a telephone call, and this one was when he was just calling when busy.
Q: Actually you were dissatisfied with it...
SUGIURA: I have to get him to return to the Girls Bar
Q: Go back to the Girls Bar? 
SUGIURA: I mean, his YouTube was released where we were having a roundtable discussion while drinking. Then after it, he said "Let's go drinking", and I added, "Do you want to go to a Girls Bar I know?". So we went, but he didn't bring his wallet! How is that possible?! In this industry the seniors pay, then why did he say "Let's go drinking!?" And then he didn't bring his wallet...
Q: It's also a settlement match for the Girls Bar incident...
SUGIURA: That's right. So when the title match is over, whoever wins I want him to take me in return.
Q: On the day of the match it will be Misawa's memorial event. This year is the thirteenth anniversary since he died. 
SUGIURA: My feelings for Misawa haven't changed, but at this years memorial I will fight Kazushi Sakuraba for the first time in a singles match. It's a card I couldn't imagine in Noah when Misawa was there, so I want him to see the "Noah Now" in that sense and because I have the belt, I can do the title match at the memorial. 
Q: What kind of way do you want to win so that you can see the golden era again? 
SUGIURA: I can't really imagine it...I'm not sure of what works. Hmmm...Oh! Let's settle the match by "Rock-Paper-Scissors!" At the conclusion of the match, grab the microphone if it's hard to settle and say "Hey! If it has come to this, initially lets make it rock!"
Q: Well that's novel, but that might be expected...
SUGIURA: (Taking no notice): Alright! Then it's special training!

Sugiura performs rock-paper-scissors with a member of Noah staff who is nearby, but loses each time. This exposes his terrifying weakness of rock-paper-scissors, which the result on the contrary causes further anxiety...


*A "Girl's Bar" are shot bars where the bartenders are mainly women. These are not hostess bars, although the staff may be themed (cosplay anime etc), as the girls do not sit with the customers, light cigarettes etc.  

Comments