(NOAH) Aiming to be the "Uma Masume in Pro Wrestling", interview with new GHC Champion, Naomichi Marufuji


7th June 2021
Pro Wrestling DX

The new GHC heavyweight champion, Naomichi Marufuji, who defeated Keiji Mutoh, held a next day press conference in Tokyo. With the goal of becoming the "Uma Masume in pro wrestling" with CyberFight, the new champion envisioned a series of defenses against Noah wrestlers. 

MARUFUJI: I am Marufuji, the 5th GHC Heavyweight Champion. To the many wrestlers, the staff and the fans, I am truly grateful that I was able to share a truly wonderful experience. I am grateful. The opponent, Keiji Mutoh. It's not straight forward after all, even after the event has finished, the name Keiji Mutoh still appears. That one moonsault has caused a stir in the world, and as it is said, sure enough it is Keiji Mutoh who brings it and as a result that is what happened. I think I still have a lot to learn from Mutoh throughout the match, and I think as a champion with room for growth, I can do it from now on. More than anything else, I didn't expect the day to come in Noah when I fought Mutoh for the GHC, so as a result I am really glad that I was able to win the belt. At the end of the match, with Akiyama and Yamashita, the three of us stood side by side. Even though I didn't know what was going to happen, I was able to stand side by side with Akiyama like that. Regarding Yamashita, I have said that I am not going to wrestle women although I have done it several times, there are some female wrestlers who I think I should, and one of them is Yamashita. I am deeply moved by the facy that three of us stood together. President Fujita of CyberAgent gave a greeting at the opening, and as CyberGroup we will do our best to become the "Uma Masume" of the wrestling world. 
Q: This is your fourth time as champion, but do you have any difference in feelings between the past and the present? 
MARUFUJI: The first time I wore the belt was when Akiyama was champion, and it was a situation where I challenged myself. At that time I hadn't really grown up, and I was still immature as a wrestler. Akiyama pulled me up and as a result it was a situation in which I managed to win, and so when I first held it, it had a very strong impression on me. Is it a situation comparable to that time? 
Q: This will be the first time you have held the new belt? 
MARUFUJI: I had the desire to reach out and touch it because the design is new to me, but in recent years due to my condition pretty much in that way, my state of mind and physical condition I couldn't keep up. I have always had a feeling of regret, but finally it was in proportion and I was able to connect that to a result. I am glad to be able to meet the new belt in this way.
Q: Within the same group Akiyama is the champion, and there is no pressure? 
MARUFUJI: Pressure? Even though Akiyama has become more amicable than in the old days, there is no unexpected pressure. Rather than pressure, I feel more strongly that I am showing my growth to Akiyama. 
Q: There seems to be a conflict with Akiyama trying to make the KO-D more valuable than the GHC? 
MARUFUJI: Of course, Akiyama is the KO-D champion, so of course I think there is that attitude, but I don't think I will lose to that. I think Yamashita will also have the feeling that she is not going to lose either to the two of us. I think that is an attitude that will increase the value of each one again, and so I think that is fine. I have no intention of losing.
Q: The June 13th event will be your first match as champion, but what kind of defense road do you envision? 
MARUFUJI: Big events in Sendai and Hiroshima have been planned for July and August, and there is also the anniversary. I have been unable to have important matches at key points for the last few years, so of course I will aim at that. I think it will be interesting as to how the challenger will be decided in the broadcast, and as a result I think it is one of the methods of having a title match in front of fans. Even if there are no customers, please aim for me. 
Q: Do you think you succeeded in the big pro wrestling event at Super Saitama Arena, which has a strong image of martial arts at the venue?
MARUFUJI: Of course, success was due to the efforts of each wrestler, but I think the success of the tournament was the staff who made the tournament a success. Regarding the production, the motivation was very high in that way as it was supplied (rough). From here onward when Corona abates, we will keep in mind yesterday so we can have a lot of customers. Furthermore, if Noah, DDT, Ganbare Pro and Tokyo Joshi stir everything up and we can do a festival again, I hope we can show you something that is above the level of yesterday. 
Q: Are there any wrestlers who names come up for future title matches? 
MARUFUJI: Now Noah has a belt known as the GHC National, and he is having fairly strong defenses, so I think I have to show something slightly different and I want to work with Noah's wrestlers. I am not sure of the names right now, but I want to work with the main wrestlers of Noah's heavyweight division. I think that one of the roles is making history in the GHC title match with such wrestlers, and so I want to do that.

  
*Uma Masume is a manga, anime and also a video game about great race horses of the past being reborn as humans with the speed and endurance of their former lives. 

Comments