(NOAH) Excerpt from "Inheritance of the soul of Misawa-ism"


12th June 2021
Noah.co.jp

The large volume e-book "Misawa-ism", is a combination of four books related to Mitsuharu Misawa which have been published so far. The book contains rare articles which have not been included before, and unpublished photos, and with new text is now on sale. On June 13th, which is the anniversary of Misawa's passing, a part if it will be available to the public. Here, the editor responsible, Kazuhiko Sakuna, introduces his newly written "introduction", which is filled with his emotions. 

Introduction

It as been 12 years since Mitsuharu Misawa died on June 13th 2009, and this years marks the thirteenth anniversary of the sexagenary cycle*. From that day 12 years ago, Noah's Ark was hit by rough waves in succession, and there were times when it was in such a crisis that it could sink at any time. However, due to the efforts of wrestlers such as Naomichi Marufuji and Yoshinari Ogawa, who have inherited Misawa-ism, and the power of the staff and the fans in support, Noah returned to the Nippon Budokan for the first time in about ten years. Many new assets have been added, and new fans have increased. It can be said that they have entered a new era.  

While Noah has overcome the stormy seas, the world is being battered by rough waves called Coronavirus. Lifestyles have changed, such as living with masks, teleworking, remote interviews\meetings, stopping going out and going to events, and shortened business hours for restaurants. What was commonplace cannot be taken for granted, and people's dissatisfaction with their lives erupt, and when when watching TV or open social media, I am full of dissatisfaction. Incidents such as the hoarding of masks and toilet paper that occurred during corona, and the number hunting that went on in other prefectures*, and the pandemic police*. Or more recently, anonymous slander on social media which is something of a problem, road rage, workplace harassment by coaches...whenever I see the unpleasant news that happens in the world, Misawa's words come to my mind. Misawa had a stronger sense of responsibility than anyone else, and he was someone who never complained. During the All Japan era when he dislocated his shoulder, broke his nasal bone or had a fracture of the orbital floor*, he went to the ring and kept fighting. when asked about the secret of his strength, he left these words "Everyone is weak, I just try hard not to be. Complaining makes me feel uncomfortable, but it can't be helped to complain about something that only I understand, so I don't complain." 

I also cannot forget the words that I heard about the mental strength to be able to overcome a tough fight. 

"Of course, its tough to fight Kobashi and Vader. However, when I think about the severity of the match in my lifetime, it's only tens of minutes and hours, so I bear with it (laughs). There is no one who has never had a bad thing from birth to death. Life is not easy and living is hard, and I think the most important thing is, not just in professional wrestling, is to never give up. It's important that you not throw it away. I do my best, and I want people to have fun and be happy."

As Misawa says, living is difficult. It's the same for everyone, not just myself. Personally, I support these words and even when I have a hard time I try to overcome it with thinking of this for support, "It's a short period considering a long life". Even 12 years after Misawa passed away, the words he left behind have given me courage. 

Twelve years ago, I was the editor-in-chief of Weekly Wrestling. At that time the popularity of pro wrestling was at its lowest, and it was a dark period when specialized magazines were forced to stop publishing one after the other. Although I was only in my early thirties and had little experience, as the editor-in-chief of the only pro wrestling magazine, I was burdened with a lot of things and I had a lot of mentally difficult days. At one point I asked Misawa, "Aren't the expectations of everyone around you awkward?" In response to my question, Misawa replied: "Ask yourself if you are okay with that. Would it be okay for you if I was about to give up? Like anything when you make a difficult decision, you should make sure that it's not cool and that you don't disgrace yourself. That is why you have to live up to the expectations of those around you."

Ask yourself and make a choice that is not disgraceful. Make a choice that is not bad. Isn't this the most necessary thing in this era? If you have any dislikes, then hurt others to to clear away your own unhappiness. 
Cheat so you don't lose. 
All the nasty news and the scandals that are happening in the world would not happen if each person would only ask themselves to make a choice that is not disgraceful, and if you can make a good choice, then it just won't happen. I can't help wondering what Misawa would say if he were alive in this era.

The book also includes new interviews never published before, and in addition to that the books on Misawa that have republished and transcribed. 

I believe that Misawa's words, his way of thinking and way of life will help many people over time, and that is why by republishing past books that are no longer available I want people to read them. I want you to feel Misawa-ism, and so with that in mind I planned this publication. Although I had a hard time depending on Misawa, I cannot thank Mayumi Misawa enough for allowing us to publish. We would also like to take this opportunity to thanks CyberFight Co. Ltd for their co-operation. I hope that Misawa will reach as many people as possible, and that many people will be happy. 


*Sexagenary cycle: The Chinese sexagenary cycle, also known as the Stems-and-Branches, is a cycle of sixty terms used for recording days or years. It appears, as a means of recording days. 
*Cars which had a different number plate than the one they were in (i.e. a car from Tokyo being driven in Osaka), were subject to vandalism - graffiti, paintwork scratched, and even stones being thrown at the driver.
*Archetypal neighborhood busybodies who took it upon themselves to enforce business closure and stay-at-home requests.
*Thin bone at the floor of the eye socket

Comments