[NOAH) Naomichi Marufuji to establish long title reign, Takashi Sugiura and the first defense on the 11th

8th July 2021
Yahoo.co.jp\East Sports Web

GHC Heavyweight champion, Naomichi Marufuji (41), will face Takashi Sugiura (51) for the first time at Noah's Sendai Sun Plaza event. This will be a symbol of the promotion in both name and reality. The champion, who wears Noah's highest belt for the first time in about five and a half years, vowed a long term reign with the goal of returning to the main event of the Nippon Budokan and a nationwide pilgrimage of defenses.

The pre-match fights with Takashi Sugiura, who he has supported the promotion with for many years, became a fast paced scramble for leadership. Marufuji said of the pre-matches, "Reading one move, reading two moves. I knew well during the match that the result would not be achieved unless I read the opponent. In this I think the one who brings something out in a way that the other cannot read, will win."

This year the promotion entered a new system under the umbrella of CyberAgent. Marufuji, who serves as Vice President, feels an unprecedented favorable situation in this environment. "I may also be the Vice President, but the company has made an environment where I can stand in the ring as a wrestler, and I think it is the first time I can concentrate on my opponent". Currently, it seems he is free from the stresses he has had so far. 

In February of this year, Noah returned to the Budokan for the first time in about eleven years. Marufuji says, "I want stand in the main event of the next Budokan. I want to make defenses all over the country. It is said that people cannot see it unless they come to Tokyo. I want to convey Noah's pro wrestling to the whole country". The next big event after the match in Sendai is in Hiroshima on August 1st, so a first defense is imperative. 

The last time Marufuji was champion, he lost to Sugiura, and ended up with zero defenses. As such, he has not been able to build a convincing image of a champion despite having three title reigns. "I am treated as "Noah's symbol" just by staying. There is my ability in the ring, and I want to put on the belt and take root that way as well. Marufuji wants to show the part that he is Noah again."
Marufuji starts his defense road with his unwavering determination.

Comments