(NOAH) "Keiji Mutoh is a new student", Boston Crab or instant defeat, "Road to Triple Crown" Interview with Takashi Sugiura about carving open the N-1.


Noah.co.jp
2nd September 2021

Takashi Sugiura will participate in Noah's biggest event of the year, the "N-1 VICTORY 2021" and compete as a double champion this year as the GHC National & ZERO1 World Heavyweight champion. Experienced as a GHC Heavyweight Champion, he enters into A block and a fierce fight with three people. In the first match on opening night (12th September, Korakuen), he will clash with Keiji Mutoh, however, the man in question has decided on "Sugiura-Season" even before the big named legend, and looks ahead to the "Road to The Triple Crown" as he turns towards the end of the year. 

Interview with Takashi Sugiura

Q: The N-1 is approaching? 
SUGIURA: Everyone is aiming for the championship, there is nothing more 
Q: This year it will be contested in a four block system, the participants too are wonderful
SUGIURA: Many wrestlers have come out, I think it has become a league match with deep layers
Q: You will clash with Keiji Mutoh in the first match
SUGIURA: This is the first singles. Isn't he just the right person to gain momentum with? 
Q: Both a legend and a big name...
SUGIURA: That is the case with careers, but when did he (Keiji Mutoh) join? No, enter? 
Q: It's was this year, so it has been less than a year
SUGIURA: Then he is a new student
Q: His age and career are pretty good too, but the order within the promotion is...
SUGIURA: It's the order in which you enter!
Q: What is your impression of Keiji Mutoh as a wrestler? 
SUGIURA: Like I said, a new student!!
Q: Well, he has a lot of considerable achievements and great matches...
SUGIURA: I don't know! I'm not a fan. Well then, tell me what kind of achievements he has!
Q: He has had the GHC, IWGP, Triple Crown, overseas titles...
SUGIURA: Huh? When you wrestle a match, can you win with "achievements?"
Q: His ability at the present time is not enough to be afraid of...?
SUGIURA: That's it
Q: So, what should you be careful about? 
SUGIURA: The appearance of the match, the atmosphere, rhythm...he often dominates the match, and so I think it is important to prevent him from taking it.
Q: What kind of match will you have? 
SUGIURA: I will be as usual
Q: As your opponent is a new student, how will you win? 
SUGIURA: That is with a Boston Crab! Or defeat instantly with a front neck lock!
Q: I see...however from the first match, the Mutoh match, there are moreover only three official matches and the significance of one match increases.
SUGIURA: As the number of blocks increased, the number of matches decreased, but to go to the final I can't drop even one match. There are only three official matches, right? If I drop even one match, I have to be resigned to it being no good. So, it's not just "I have to win the first match", I have to win the first and then win the remaining two. 
Q: Although you have won Global League, you haven't won since the name was changed to N-1 
SUGIURA: Yeah, I want it (the title of N-1 Champion)
Q: This year in particular, you will participate as the double champion as both the GHC National and the ZER01 World Heavyweight
SUGIURA: I'm not too conscious of wearing the belts because the people around me see it that way
Q: In that sense as well, in the unlikely event that the champion gets a feeling he has mud on his face* then the authority....
SUGIURA: What are you? I make the mud! It is stupid to think about defeat! Stupid!
Q: Sorry...In addition to Keiji Mutoh, Kaito Kiyomiya and Manabu Soya are also in the same A block.
SUGIURA: Compared to other blocks I entered one with members who won't easily give way. I think this is a "delicious block"
Q: What is Kiyomiya's current state? The troubling situation continues, but do you feel any changes? 
SUGIURA: Change? What is he doing? 
Q: It may be a situation where he is struggling to change? 
SUGIURA: Well, in that sense I think that "I want to push through here, and jump out here" may come out in the match, but everyone does it because "I want to go up". Now, I am not going to lose to the person who is worried, but to the one who is wrestling.
Q: What about Soya? 
SUGIURA: It's nice to watch his match, but I wonder if there is a "hint of Taniguchi" going on. You are told to be a good wrestler and have gotten good, but isn't there a wrestler going along those parallel lines? That smacks of it. 
Q: Is it fair to say that the match with Soya will be personal, right? 
SUGIURA: Yeah, it's easy to do, so it will be a good match, won't it? 
Q: So Manabu Soya is an easy opponent, Kaito Kiyomiya is troubled, and so you can't lose, Keiji Mutoh...
SUGIURA: The new student? Then that leaves only me 
Q: If you win, you can challenge Naomichi Marufuji for the GHC Heavyweight Championship, but Marufuji is not participating this year. 
SUGIURA: I don't really have any thoughts on it
Q: So in addition to the GHC National and the ZERO1 World Heavyweight, the GHC Heavyweight would pave the way for the Triple Crown
SUGIURA: Yeah. It would be great if I could get such a title to heighten the second half of the year. 
Q: When at the end of the year, "2021 was the year of Sugiura..."
SUGIURA: Yeah, I hope it closes like that. 



*The original phrase referred to Sumo which roughly means that the loser of the match has the mud from the ring on his back and it looks like his opponent, the victor, has defecated on him. There isn't a translation in English. 

Comments