(NOAH) "Maybe it will be my last league, that is why I fight without regrets" 52-year-old Masakatsu Funaki enters Noah's N-1 with a sad determination

Yahoo.co.jp/BBM Sports
16th September 2021

Noah's single league tournament, "N-1 VICTORY 2021", opened at the 12th September Korakuen Hall event. Keiji Mutoh vs Takashi Sugiura came to a time out, Masato Tanaka defeated Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kendo Kashin defeated Kenoh and Kazuyuki Fujita defeated Masa Kitamiya. The result was that the legends overwhelmed Noah's top wrestlers. 

The N-1 will have empty arena matches broadcast on WrestleUniverse on the 18th, the 19th and the 20th (all from 8pm). On the 18th, the eight wrestlers other than those who wrestled their first official matches at Korakuen Hall on the 12th September, will have their first matches. 

Attention is on Masakatsu Funaki, who will participate an a singles tournament for the first time in eight years. We asked him to talk about the N-1 while in the meantime coordinating commitments in Osaka.

Q: You have entered a singles league for the first time in a long time, not since "Champion Carnival" in 2013
FUNAKI: Since I was 44? It's been eight years since then. In the Carnival I fought in a league match almost once every two days over two weeks. Looking at the schedule this time, I have the impression that it's not that harsh because it's a jump up and go match in about a month.  
Q: This time, four wrestlers from each block have entered. There are three official matches, and deciding the victory will take place by four wrestlers representing each block in an event on the same day.
FUNAKI: Does that mean five matches to win? It's so far away. 
Q: Do you still feel it is far away with the small number of matches? 
FUNAKI: As was the case with Carnival, if you win the championship then you can challenge for the Triple Crown. I've always had the thought that when the challenge of the league match winner is over, the next challenger usually comes out, so I feel that challenge is the toughest. 
Q: Akitoshi Saito, another member of the block has a background in karate, and Masa Kitamiya and Kazuyuki Fujita are both wrestlers with a base in Martial Arts. 
FUNAKI: True, and it's definitely easier to do. The (karate) element is stronger for me, so my body responds naturally. I think that is also my career. I am grateful to be in the same block as such a wrestler. If anything there are times when wrestlers who wrestle like wrestling are more difficult for me. 
Q: But, two of the three matches will be held empty arena
FUNAKI: It's not distracting when there are fans, but I am conscious of them after all. I have only ever done one empty arena match (Real Japan on June 26th), at first I wondered if it would be okay, but on the contrary I think that in a sense it is convenient to be able to focus. 
Q: Do you feel like you are fighting in an environment similar to that of the Pancrase era? 
FUNAKI: It may happen, but in Pancrase during matches the fans were quiet. Weekly Pro called it a "scene phenomenon", but its really the setting and an image of that time. Mutoh said, "If you have fans that can't cheer, it's easier when it's empty arena."
Q: Instead of being able to cheer vocally, you can cheer with making a noise by applauding and clapping, but do you find it hard to judge who is being supported? 
FUNAKI: Yes, that's right. Is that because I am taking something, or are you applauding because the technique that has been used? Usually, when people are surprised they say "Ah" or "Ooh". Even if I don't really understand how it feels and half doubt and am not sure if it is good or bad, I am getting used to it. I wonder if this will become commonplace entertainment, or the moment when the times change. It is complicated though.
Q: There is also a part of being cheered on by the customers, right? 
FUNAKI: Obviously there is the customers being on board, but I don't think that is the case these days. I think it's really really become a fight against myself. However, I am wondering if this form of pro wrestling would make someone a fan; situations in which you can't be spontaneous, can't cheer, can't bring out anything that come's out. There are restrictions, so there is still the question of whether to go to the venue and watch.
Q: Even if you are looking forward to it, in your heart it does feel like you shouldn't have fun because it's suppressed. 
FUNAKI: You have to behave yourself. Well, I didn't cheer when I was a fan. I lived in the countryside, so it was enough to see the wrestlers in the flesh. Rather than to see the content of the match, I went to the venue with the desire to get an autograph, shake hands, touch and get as close as possible. 
Q: Now in Noah, the great veterans such as Mutoh, Sakuraba, Fujita and yourself are all playing an active role. How do you see the situation? 
FUNAKI: I think it's a duty. That is why I enjoy fighting wrestlers in their thirties the most. Fighting a wrestler in a good condition now inspires me, and beyond that I want to bequeath that, "If this what people in their 50s are like, what will it be like when you are in your 50s?" I think that is a duty, and I will fight matches like that so I can do it to the very end. I want to use that until I am exhausted. 
Q: Mutoh said "bleed me dry". By the way, when you fight a wrestler in their thirties, do you feel that you have different techniques to the period they were bought up in? 
FUNAKI: There is that, but after all, it does come down to physical strength and people in their thirties are definitely better off. Before this, I fought with Nakajima for the first time and felt that there was a physique filled with power and an energetic body. I think there was a momentum and I guess I used to be like that. It's been 10 or 20 years since then, and as its intuition I am accepting my present.
Q: However, you retired early, and so I think it is a shame that you were away from the ring at the best time in your thirties...
FUNAKI: I popped out in my thirties, and then returned in my 40s. How about this again, I think? Life is strange. I feel like I can go it longer than other 50 years old. 
Q: Among the veterans, Mutoh is the leading wrestler, but the oldest and most energetic is...
FUNAKI: 58 years old...it's bad to compare, but Chono is not able to wrestle anymore. I think Mutoh is strong and has special athletic ability. I think he's a big weapon, and I think we can still have matches. Even though he can no longer moonsault and the number of techniques are decreasing, he can still put together a match properly. From my point of view, being fifty-eight is only six years from now. I can't imagine that. 
Q: When you look at your opponents in the league, there are only wrestlers you haven't wrestled much. 
FUNAKI: This was the first time with Saito. I did an eight man tag with Kitamiya once. Fujita, this will be the second singles with. Is Kitamiya over 30? He's just the right age, and so I am looking forward to that. Saito is about the same generation, and it feels like we can fight with history in the match. Fujita this will be a rematch from two years ago (Real Japan in 2019 at Korakuen Hall), but I don't think it will be a match like that time.
Q: Because there are so few official matches, far from even losing one point you can't even drop one.
FUNAKI: I have to win. Victory or defeat, which one? I don't believe in anything other than my physical strength, it all depends on that. The physical condition at that time is everything, not at the time of the opponent. If I am strong then I can win, and if I am not then I will lose. It's like a scheme to fight with as much skill as I can. 
Q: If it is your first match, do you feel like trying to understand the power of the opponent's technique? 
FUNAKI: I won't know until I try it. How does it feel to receive the other persons specialty? Is there a surprise, or do you think it's about this? I am a little interested in that. 
Q: However, this time it is just a single league match, so it seems that you can fight with various things without thinking about unnecessary things. 
FUNAKI: Even if it's the same unit, whether it's Mutoh or Marufuji, when it comes to singles they are just normal opponents. In that respect I want to fight both Mutoh and Marufuji. I worked with Mutoh after he returned from knee surgery (Mitsuharu Misawa Memorial Match, 2021) and I want to continue that. I also want to continue with Marufuji (33rd anniversary produce, 2018 in Osaka), and as it was time out in 11 minutes, I definitely want to continue. There are many things that I haven't done in Noah yet, I haven't fought Ogawa even once in a singles. Maybe our debuts are about the same (Ogawa debuted September 3rd 1985).
Q: I can't imagine what kind of a match it will be, as your style is different from Ogawa. It seems that different developments can be seen every time you fight. Do you have any other wishes? 
FUNAKI: If possible, I would like to have a singles with Nakajima. This year I fought with Kenoh, and with Nakajima (August 6th, Korakuen), and I felt a tremendous response. I am really interested in that. I know that he's strong and has a real ability. Next time, I would like to proceed with a league match with the desire to try a singles. 
Q: Nakajima was the league winner last year, and if you win the block then you will have the opportunity to fight in singles. 
FUNAKI: There is a rematch with Kashin. I don't think there will be these members next year, and I think both Mutoh and myself will lose momentum. This time there is that member, and I think this is a first comical league match in the new Noah. This is the league of the season. 
Q: If you win, you will challenge Marufuji for the GHC Heavyweight Championship on the 10th October in Osaka. 
FUNAKI: But it is so far away. I am not looking ahead with that attitude, but it's natural to go out for a championship, so I am aiming for it. Maybe it will be my last league, so that is why I would like to fight without regrets. I feel that the GHC is far away, but if you have vitality then a chance will come someday, and in that sense the one who lives longer wins. I think that.  

Comments