(NOAH) GHC Heavyweight Champion Katsuhiko Nakajima talks about his thoughts before the 30th October Fukuoka title match with Masato Tanaka! He also talks about the conflicts of the "outside" era, and the true meaning of "I am Noah!"


26th October 2021
Spice

Pro Wrestling Noah will hold "LEC CLEAN PA!"* "DEMOLITION STAGE 2021 in FUKUOKA" at the Fukuoka International Centre on the 30th October. talked to Katsuhiko Nakajima, who will make his first defense of the GHC Heavyweight Championship.

Nakajima made his debut as a wrestler in 2002 at WJ Pro Wrestling, at the youngest age of 15 years and 9 months. After this, he trained under Kensuke Sasaki and worked at the Kensuke Office and Diamond Ring. He has participated in Noah since 2008**. At that time he was active in the junior heavyweight division, and was crowned GHC Junior Heavyweight Champion three times. He moved to the heavyweight division in 2013, and although he was not affiliated with the promotion at the time, became one of Noah's faces. In 2015, he officially joined Noah and in 2016 he was crowned with the long sought GHC Heavyweight Championship for the first time. He was active in the tag team "AXIZ" with Go Shiozaki, but in 2020 he betrayed Shiozaki and made a shocking move entering Kongoh, later to win the N-1 VICTORY.


In this years N-1 he achieved the first two consecutive victories in history, and on the 10th of this month, he won his long desired first victory over Naomichi Marufuji, and was crowned with his second GHC Heavyweight Championship. At the Fukuoka event on the 30th he will make his first defense against Masato Tanaka, who Nakajima has generally lost to. 

In this interview, Nakajima reveals his feelings about participating in Noah thirteen years ago, to the crowning of the GHC Heavyweight Championship and his thoughts on his first defense. We approached the true meaning of the "I am Noah" statement, which has been discussed in various ways among fans over it's interpretation. 

Q: Congratulations on becoming GHC Heavyweight Champion!
NAKAJIMA: Yes, thank you
Q: First of all, how do you look back on the N-1 VICTORY? 
NAKAJIMA: This year, it was a new format where it was divided into four blocks, so the number of matches was small for each, but I wonder if I was able to fight by preparing accordingly. I was able to concentrate on each match, but on the other hand I was nervous that if I lost one, then it would be dangerous. This was the first time for me. What made me feel that the league was so tough? There was the most participating wrestlers ever, with a wide range of fighting styles and ages, in a nutshell it was difficult. It was harsh.
Q: You won the first ever consecutive victory in the N-1, and on the 10th of this month you defeated Naomichi Marufuji and were crowned with the GHC Heavyweight Championship. It was the first time in seven years you had fought him for the title, but how was it? 
NAKAJIMA: It went beyond the image of Naomichi Marufuji that I am familiar with. His presence is the same, his motion is the same, but I've never seen a Naomichi Marufuji like that. I felt the awesomeness of Naomichi Marufuji, who went higher than the image I had when we fought before, there. 


Q: Unfortunately it was torn away seven years ago, but this time you took the championship by fulfilling your long cherished desire, "Beyond Marufuji". But what was the difference from before? 
NAKAJIMA: It means that I have evolved even higher. Well, the biggest difference from seven years ago is...the environment. Seven years ago Noah had many homegrown talent, but in recent years Noah has many outside wrestlers who have joined from other promotions. I felt that the most, and it was the same when I had the belt about five years ago. It became a strange way of thinking that, "If you are not Noah Born, then you can never rise in this ring". I think it was a trauma, or a big obstacle at the time. 
Q: Was there a sense of inferiority that you weren't Noah Born? 
NAKAJIMA: I couldn't do anything about it, I'm not Noah Born (laughs) But in fact, in Noah now, aren't the outsiders playing an active role? After all, Kongoh are outsiders, right? Well, between the Noah Born and the outsiders, I have always felt the difference in temperature. 
Q: What is the "temperature difference"? 
NAKAJIMA: Simply put, it's a difference in treatment. It's difficult for the outsider to even seize the opportunity. It's not just enough to have power. You can't get a chance if you don't get the support of the fans by having a match that the fans who come to see you expect. I was hard to even seize a handful of opportunities. Even now I still have bitter memories. I think that is there now because of it. By nature, Noah has an old way of thinking. Even though outsiders are doing their best to liven up Noah, they end up trying to raise their Noah Born. The temperature difference is transmitted to the fans, the image I have isn't good and I have to get rid of it.


Q: And Nakajima and Kongoh will do it
NAKAJIMA: That's right. Have you had a lot to talk about in the Sugiura Army or the M's alliance this year? To Kongoh, who advocate rebellion, "This is unsatisfactory". With this timing and the gap triggered by the N-1, Kongoh's heavyweights should have thought they had to open it. Outsiders have their own beliefs, and Kongoh are a group of members who have strong beliefs. Like Kenoh, who has been leading Kongoh for a long time, I also wanted to make a big hole in the N-1. I think that belief came out due to the difference of seven years ago. 


Q: Nakajima, who was an outsider at that time, is now a member and is now in a position to meet new outside wrestlers who are rushing in recently. What do you think of the current state of Noah? 
NAKAJIMA: I think it's interesting, a wide variety of wrestlers are coming. Isn't it interesting to see? But doing it is really hard (laughs) Both the M's alliance and The Sugiura Army have a strong tendency for seniors of the older generation, and we have to win against the presence of that upper generation who created history. I have to wrestle such a match. It's hard to do, but I have no choice but to do it...it's rewarding (grins). 
Q: Is there anything you want to show your fans as the highest face? 
NAKAJIMA: Speaking of the older generation, isn't it rust? I have to remove that rust and make a new one. 
Q: While the upper generation is coming to break, I don't think we can ignore the pushing up of the lower generation. Are you on the alert? 
NAKAJIMA: I'm not on the alert, but it's a threat. In that sense, in terms of generation, I'm in the middle so it's really hard. It's hard from the top to the bottom, but the form has changed by taking the belt this time. I broke it once and made a chance this time. There is very much to build up from now on, but I will do it little by little. Above and below, I will push it all out. 
Q: On October 30th, the first defense with Masato Tanaka has been arranged. In the N-1 you were defeated by Tanaka in C block, but how do you look back on the match with Tanaka? 
NAKAJIMA: I think he is a wrestler who suits the word "tough". I don't want to talk about age so much, but with the development of his career, not only can he move but he can think quickly and he has a wide range of tactics. I also have my own view of the world and I felt that I didn't want it just to be strong. I also wanted to make it delicious. 
Q: The 30th will both be a title defense and a revenge match
NAKAJIMA: I never beat Tanaka in a single in the past. I think I would remember if I did because there aren't many singles in my recollection. The same is true for Naomichi Marufuji, and a delicious presence has emerged. Masato Tanaka is also delicious, and it feels good to devour him to become my new era of flesh and blood. 


Q: In the pro wrestling world, "Generational Change" is often the theme, but I think it is unusual for the upper generation to crush the lower, and then aim for a generational change.
NAKAJIMA: I think that's good. Without a doubt, if it collapses, then it is worth it until then.  
Q: There was a phrase, "I am Noah", which you used after you became champion. Is this phrase an awareness of Shiozaki, who touted "I am NOAH"? You left the words "I am Noah" when you became champion five years ago. What emotion did this phrase originate from? 
NAKAJIMA: Getting back to the previous story, at that time as an outsider, it was something I couldn't claim, but by taking the belt I was able to appeal that "I am Noah". I wonder if it started from that point, because the feeling of "I am Noah" has been around since that time. But, how to interpret "I am Noah" this time, I will leave to you (grins)
Q: The 30th October Fukuoka event will also be your triumphal match. Please what is your enthusiasm for the first defense match in Fukuoka? 
NAKAJIMA: Because it is my hometown, I have an emotional attachment about doing it there, but the winning percentage is bad locally. 
Q: If I think about it, it was Fukuoka where you fought against Marufuji for the GHC Heavyweight Championship seven years ago (July 21st, Hakata Starlane)
NAKAJIMA: Yes, I lost even though I am local. But this time, I am very happy to be able to stand in the main at a venue that is larger than at that time, and on top of that I will close out the event as a main eventer. So, if you are curious buy a ticket at Eplus and be sure to come and watch!

*Noah's event sponsors
**He's been competing in Noah since 2005

Comments