(NOAH) Quiet Ambition - interview with HAYATA

Published in Weekly Pro on 26th October 2021

Q: It's been a long time since there was an interview
HAYATA: That's right
Q: Currently, you have succeeded in defending four times as the GHC Junior Champion. Before that, as the GHC Junior Tag Team Champion, there was one fall from May last year to May this year, but you came back soon afterwards and held the belt for about a year. The reason for this great leap forward is that you betrayed Daisuke Harada's RATELS, and joined STINGER.
HAYATA: Betrayal? I don't remember because it was so long ago.
Q: It goes without saying...but since you have entered STINGER, has there been any change in yourself? 
HAYATA: I feel like I have learned a lot in actual matches while having title matches as a junior tag champion. I can think more than before.
Q: In what way? 
HAYATA: Overall, I had more time to learn about pro wrestling. 
Q: Did you not think so much before joining STINGER? 
HAYATA: I couldn't reflect so much. I was somehow thinking, but recently I have been thinking deeply.
Q: Did you not think so deeply before? 
HAYATA: During the match it was frequently little by little (laughs)
Q: What times do you reflect? 
HAYATA: More in tags than in singles. The time when I am waiting on the apron.
Q: Then, when you are in the match? 
HAYATA: Not so much in singles, but if it's a tag and I have time as I am waiting on the apron, I am thinking about what to do. I am always thinking about how to wrestle a match. 
Q: Do you always think about what to do, depending on your opponent? 
HAYATA: It's that kind of feeling. I keep in mind what everyone does, and each persons individual personality and habits, and base it on that.
Q: It's likely to be intense when you face Harada (laughs)
HAYATA: Well, it's like that.
Q: Why did you start thinking deeply?
HAYATA: Why? I came to care about the details of pro wrestling. 
Q: Before the match, young people are taught the basics in the ring. 
HAYATA: It's good study. I often notice the movement once again. 
Q: Is there anything different from the pro wrestling you have done so far? 
HAYATA: It's not a big part, it's actually really small. At times like this, it's all I have to do, and I didn't know anything about high pressure wrestling.
Q: What kind of part? 
HAYATA: It's hard to put into words. Maybe it's something that only wrestlers can understand. I've been doing it for years and I've never noticed it. It is often said that the atmosphere has changed.
Q: Do you have one or two examples...
HAYATA: Hmm. Something like an arm bar? 
Q: Do you mean techniques that you were never able to use before?
HAYATA: There were a lot of things I was confused about. I was wondering if I was depressed, and I feel like I was taught the solution and until then without knowing I managed to get through matches.
Q: What kind of wrestlers have taught you in your career so far? 
HAYATA: The first was HANZO. After I went to Osaka Pro, Buffalo taught me. In the Osaka Pro era there were many people who taught me quite a lot; Billy Ken Kidd, Tsubasa, Kanjyuro Matsuyama.
Q: Has the way you face pro wrestling changed from before? 
HAYATA: I know and I don't know, I think it's completely different. There have been times when it has been the exact opposite of what it used to be. I think that pro wrestling is such a deep thing. 
Q: This may be a difficult question, but what is deep? 
HAYATA: I can't really say much here, but before I came to Noah I was a heel, so it was just what heels did, so I was about 90% surprised (laughs). Immediately after I went to Osaka Pro I became a heel, so I don't think I was making any kind of normal progression.
Q: You weren't a heel in RATELS...
HAYATA: The matches were almost the same as when I was in Osaka Pro. Because the people around me weren't heels, I think it made me look good naturally.
Q: Do you feel yourself that your fighting style has changed? 
HAYATA: No, not so much. But conversely, how is it? People around me often say it has changed.
Q: How do they say?
HAYATA: The way of attacking has changed
Q: Didn't you try to change intentionally? 
HAYATA: Up until that point I wasn't aware of it. I think that what I learned after joining STINGER naturally appears in matches.
Q: After joining STINGER, you fought a total of ten title matches as GHC Junior tag champion. Like it was said earlier, you revised each part by building it up through matches.
HAYATA: I think, but what I can say in the interview...
Q: As champion, what do you think of the current Noah Juniors?
HAYATA: There are quite a lot of wrestlers of various types, so I think it's good.
Q: Isn't that awkward as opponents?
HAYATA: Awkward?
Q: Well, who are the most troublesome?
HAYATA: There are no troublesome wrestlers.
Q: Looking back on your defenses so far, on the 3rd September in your third defense against Kotaro Suzuki in Yokohama, you showed the fear of countering the Tiger Driver with the Headache
HAYATA: It was reversed automatically. Kotaro was very easy to do, maybe because what we were taught was the same. We've been fighting for the last few years.
Q: Before your 4th defense, Harada said "On entering STINGER, everyone can see how the ground technique, which he never used before is now used as part of his own. I think that the heaviness of how HAYATA hits has increased, I feel that the way he has put his weight on it has changed whether it is an elbow or a superkick."
HAYATA: Wasn't that because I was taught the basics about attacking? 
Q: The match against Harada ended in a submission
HAYATA: This is the second time in my life. (About Harada) I read a lot.
Q: It seems that the 8th October match in Fukuoka will be against NOSAWA Rongai, which will be your 5th defense. It's going to be a hard fight.
HAYATA: That's right. I have never won. 
Q: There have been two singles so far (as of 24th October in Nagaoka), and count out draws in January last year. One loss this year in April by pin-fall.
HAYATA: I have never won
Q: You aren't good at this? 
HAYATA: I'm not good at it
Q: Then why did you chose him as challenger? 
HAYATA: Well, it because I have been losing. I can't say too much, because I don't know how he will present. 
Q: Before anything else, you wanted to repay your past debt? 
HAYATA: That's why I nominated him
Q: What is your impression of NOSAWA? 
HAYATA: He thinks very much about the match
Q: Previously NOSAWA has also said, "I think about how to cut corners in matches or about twenty hours every day". What kind of match is it going to be? 
HAYATA: I can't imagine
Q: The talk about the next defense is done...
HAYATA: I don't know what to say in interviews (laughs) How many pages are there? 
Q: Three
HAYATA: It's impossible. For a mysterious group I refer to Muta.
Q: Well, that goes without saying...by the way, what are you particularly conscious of as the GHC Junior Champion?
HAYATA: It's about defending one by one, isn't it? Who has the highest defense record? 
Q: Taiji Ishimori established ten by January 2014
HAYATA: I can't say I have done half of that yet
Q: Are you aiming for the highest defensive record?
HAYATA: No, because it's still a long way off
Q: Is it that you are aware?
HAYATA: It's vaguely in my sights
Q: Oh! I didn't expect you to say such a thing!
HAYATA: Is that so? 
Q: Your fifth defense is with NOSAWA, but do you have any candidates for challengers? 
HAYATA: I won't say, first it's the next defense. 
Q: I will ask you again because history was bought up, did you see the past Noah Juniors? 
HAYATA: I think I watched quite a bit. It's was amazing, but I am not thinking of imitating it.
Q: In the history of the Noah Juniors, you fought with Ishimori, who holds the record for the most defenses, from about 2017 to 2018
HAYATA: Ishimori took the GHC Junior from me. Personally, that is a bitter memory. 
Q: It was June 2017. You stopped talking in pre match interviews from that time. 
HAYATA: I stopped speaking in earnest (smiles)
Q: The ban was lifted for this interview
HAYATA: I haven't spoken for about 4 years. 
Q: Don't say that...
HAYATA: I am a mysterious person
Q: Staying with the sense of being in a mysterious unit, on the 29th August in Kanazawa, you had your long awaited first encounter with The Great Muta.
HAYATA: I was happy because he is a wrestler who I had admired since I was a fan
Q: Your moonsault, and your appearance before the match are very similar.
HAYATA: Actually, I refer to it as a phantom faction. Great Muta doesn't do interviews either, which is ideal for me. I will continue to be quiet as "Silent of Darkness"

Translated from Weekly Pro
Picture credit: Weekly Pro

Comments