(NOAH/NEW JAPAN): New Japan vs Noah press conference transcript


20th November 2021
Pro Wrestling DX

PRESIDENT OBARI (NEW JAPAN): Hello to all of you who are watching the internet broadcast, and to all the members of the press who are visiting. I am Obari from New Japan Pro Wrestling. Today I would like to make an announcement regarding the Yokohama Arena event which is to be held on Saturday January 8th next year. This time WrestleKingdom will have three events; 1, 4 and the 5th. The events will be held in succession, so you should expect to see them like always. However, I think you are looking forward to what is going to happen at the third event at the Yokohama Arena, which will be different from the usual New Japan event. This will be the first realization of the dream matches that I promised at the 50th anniversary project press conference the other day. Has it been more than a year and a half since the corona crisis? With the relaxation of regulations facing everyone and with the same course of action as other promotions, we are dealing with each authorities. In the process, next year we would like to contribute to post corona with the power of wrestling, so that everyone can have dreams. I have agreement with Noah because of the desire to contribute to that year. Noah will participate in the 8th January Yokohama Arena event. Encouraging people shortly after the war, for seventy years it is Japanese pro wrestling that has been supporting recovery. I think it is time to show the true value of pro wrestling with the power generated by the meeting of these two promotions I want to be the driving force for fans to recover from corona. Pro Wrestling has been indebted to medical professionals in various ways long before Corona, and therefore we would like to donate some of the profits of the event to the Japanese Red Cross society and use it for various life saving activities such as countermeasures against Corona.

DIRECTOR TAKEDA (NOAH): Thank you all for joining us today. I would like to thank everyone who has made efforts to bring this event together, I am very grateful to you. Today President Obari has said everything there is to say about the event, which I would like to make one that breaks down the sense of impasses in the world with the power of pro wrestling, I thank you all. 

Q: Broadcast and distribution? 

OBARI: I will tell you the three ways to enjoy this event. The first way is to purchase a ticket, these will be on sale tomorrow, and come to the Yokohama Arena. The second will be live streaming. This will be a PPV on ABEMA TV who are an affiliate of TV Asahi, our longtime partners. The PPV will go on sale tomorrow. The third is by New Japan Pro Wrestling World, this is scheduled to be delivered one week after the 8th January.
TAKEDA: Thank you. WrestleUniverse, as run by CyberFight, will be delivered in the same week as New Japan's service.

KAITO KIYOMIYA and HIROSHI TANAHASHI come on to the stage. 

A VTR of wrestlers from New Japan and Noah is played
(Translation is taken from the official Noah YouTube)

TAKAGI SHINGO: I'm always looking for extra motivation. Obviously in New Japan alone, there's plenty of guys to fight, but there are probably plenty from outside that want a taste, right? They're welcome. Will this be just a "friendly exhibition?" Or will it be an all-out war? That's up to Noah. Quality wise, there's no question that New Japan is the best and if Noah don't like hearing that, come pick a fight. That's what I want. That's what would get me fired up too. I look forward to it.
Q: Who would you like to face?
SHINGO: Two names just popped in my head. One guy I have a history with - Naomichi Marufuji. And the other - Katsuhiko Nakajima. We debuted the same year. We've had two singles matches, and I lost them both. So it's a chance for some revenge.

KATSUHIKO NAKAJIMA: NJPW and Noah are going to war. This isn't some friendly match crap. We're going to tear each other apart. Maybe NJPW is the leader business wise, but I believe Noah is the best pro-wrestling in the world. Nope, not at all. Who's their champion now?
Q: Shingo Takagi
NAKAJIMA: Takagi. Huh. 
Q: Who would you like to face? 
NAKAJIMA: Who would I like to face? Good question...I want the best. I don't want some has-been. I don't want any mid carder. I want the best matchup for me. New Japan pro-wrestling, get me someone good. 

KAZUCHIKA OKADA
Q: How do you feel in going up against Noah?
OKADA: Honestly, nothing much. "Ok, this is what we're doing". That's it. I should say "I'll beat their asses, we can't lose!" But I have no idea who even wrestles there, I don't know who their champion is. Do Olympic athletes keep tabs on what the local amateur athletic club is doing?  Of course not. That's the difference in levels that we are looking at I think. I couldn't care less. 
Q: Last year, Kiyomiya said he wanted to wrestle you.
OKADA: If he put it out there, he should've been more persistent. It kinda fell off the radar. I guess that's Kiyomiya for you. A shame. I don't know what he's doing in Noah if anything, but I'm not exactly shaking in my boots. 
Q: Your thoughts on Keiji Mutoh's transition to Noah?
OKADA: Keiji Mutoh made headlines recently when he joined Noah - Mutoh wrestles there? I had no idea. He really was a great wrestler. Back in the day, y'know. 

KAITO KIYOMIYA
Q: Okada said he felt "nothing" about facing Noah. Your thoughts? 
KIYOMIYA: "Finally". That's what I thought when I heard. I put that idea out there. NJPW, the Rainmaker. It took a long time, but it's finally on. In the ring? I don't think there's a difference level wise at all. 
Q: Who would you like to face?
KIYOMIYA: Okada. I guess we'll have to do it and see. Maybe...Up on his high horse, he won't look around him for fear of falling off. I'm confident. Confident that not some, but all of those New Japan fans will convert to Noah. 

HIROSHI TANAHASHI
TANAHASHI: First thing I thought was that this is an interesting idea. Nobody has more pride in New Japan than me. So it's only natural for me to be convinced of our success. The wrestlers we have right now are phenomenal and I think if other wrestlers came to our turf, the results would be pretty convincing. 
Q: Who would you like to face?
TANAHASHI: That kid - what's his name...(thinks)...not Amemiya...Kiyomiya! I feel he's almost right there but can't catch his big break. It takes me back to when I was young. Back in the day I banged into the brick wall that was Mutoh so many times, but there is something exciting about what that creates. 

KEIJI MUTOH: A war? I love it. Truth is NJPW is at the top in this business. But...I've been in this game for a long time. And one thing that I can be proud of, is I've wrestled pretty much everyone who's been at the top of the business. Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Antonio Inoki...Tenryu, Choshu too. With this...if it's Okada, and I don't know, but he's a top guy. If I do get a shot against Okada, and I don't know anything yet...that would be another badge of honor for me. That said...I'm confident, man. I will wrestle a match that will have the fans happy that I signed with NOAH. 

KAITO KIYOMIYA AND HIROSHI TANIHASHI MAKE THEIR COMMENTS 

KIYOMIYA: I am Kaito Kiyomiya from Pro Wrestling Noah, thank you for joining us today. In the difficult situation worldwide, the pro wrestling industry will be at the forefront. I don't know if the two promotions will have friendly matches or a rivalry, but I am grateful to New Japan and Noah for making this decision and personally, I think there is no choice but to compete against each other. Japanese pro wrestling = New Japan Pro Wrestling; it has become the number one recognition in the industry and to be honest, I complain about that public perception. I think Noah's wrestling is the best in the ring, and I want to overturn things such as being inferior to New Japan or to fall behind them. When I said I wanted to work with Kazuchika Okada, I was very frustated. It's been a year and a half since then, and I want to do it with the Rainmaker after all. I can hear the sound of the era approaching. Well, please watch. I will change the world. You will see a new scenery that you have never seen before in New Japan. I am sorry that you are competing with Noah, I will make New Japan regret it. 
TANAHASHI: Hiroshi Tanahashi, New Japan Pro Wrestling, one talent in 100 years. When I heard this, I thought that the New Japan wrestlers would be fired up. The battles in New Japan have been going on for a long time, and the ability of the wrestlers has improved considerably and so by competing with wrestlers in other promotions, we can strongly demonstrate the growth of our wrestlers. I think this will create an exciting situation for fans, so I hope you will look forward to it. It hasn't been decided yet as to whether these matches will friendly or a rivalry, but since I am going to be doing this I hope as a wrestler that all matches will be New Japan vs Noah. So, I firmly want to get good results. There are more wrestlers in New Japan, so who will be in the event? There isn't much time until January 8th, but for New Japan I will participate. I am really looking forward to the rivalry that will be born. 
Q: Are there any wrestlers in Noah you would be interested in fighting?
TANIHASHI: I had a singles match with Mutoh at the Tokyo Dome in 2009. It's been twelve years since then, and Mutoh is still becoming more and more popular. I have also fought against Marufuji several times. There are various belts in New Japan and there are many champions, but I would like to fight the wrestler who represents Noah. 
Q: What are your thoughts currently on whether this will be a friendly rivalry or a match between rivals? 
OBARI: To explain from my side, the formation of the card has not been decided yet. There are New Japan wrestlers, Noah wrestlers, wrestlers who have various backgrounds and wrestlers who are connected. Therefore, whether each wrestler wants to fight or team up, I want to confirm the intentions of each wrestler and take that into account from here on. 
Q: How many matches will you have on the day? 
OBARI: Like I said earlier, the card has not been decided yet. However, the volume when dealing with one promotion has almost doubled this time, so I think the volume of the corresponding card will be necessary. 
Q: Will everything be a rivalry? 
OBARI: I haven't decided on that yet, but since this is a big thing, I want to show as many matches as possible where the two promotions meet.  


Comments