(NOAH) "The last one is me" - Katsuhiko Nakajima (1st January, Road to the Nippon Budokan championship match)


Puroresu Today
December 17th 2021

Pro Wrestling Noah will hold their Nippon Budokan event, "ABEMA presents NOAH THE NEW YEAR 2022" on New Year January 1st. This is an interview with Katsuhiko Nakajima, who will be defending the GHC Heavyweight Championship against Go Shiozaki, who has recovered from injury, as challenger. Looking back on 2021 when he won the N-1 VICTORY for the second consecutive year and also won the heavyweight belt, the Nippon Budokan title match with Go Shiozaki who he once fought together with as AXIZ, his thoughts on the GHC Heavyweight belt and his outlook for 2022. 

Looking back on 2021

Q: Looking back on 2021, what was the most memorable match or memorable event of the year? 
NAKAJIMA: They are all the same. Impressive matches and memorable events, they are almost the same. However, there are too many and I don't know what to answer. I had a haircut match, was the first to win two consecutive titles (of the N-1 VICTORY), and it was huge that I took the GHC Heavyweight belt from Naomichi Marufuji, and then during that time there was a 60 minute match (with Kenoh). I think there have been many of them this year...
Q: Did you feel yourself step up? 
NAKAJIMA: I felt it
Q: Did you feel that as a pro wrestler, you went up a stage? 
NAKAJIMA: That's right, and there were more technique to bring out...
Q: Previously, the Editor-in-Chief, Shibata, of Puroresu Today wrote you were "Waruhiko Nakajima", since that time have you felt that the change in the scope of technique has come out from that side? 
NAKAJIMA: It is a fact that with a variety of knowledge, the scope has expanded 
Q: I feel the force of Katsuhiko Nakajima's ego emerging
NAKAJIMA: Is that so? 
Q: Yes, I think that is good for pro wrestlers. I think this is a world where people with strong egos are sure enough to rise, I feel that that part is emerging. 
NAKAJIMA: Thank you. 
Q: The belt vs belt match with Kenoh was a 60 minute time out draw, but has there been any change in your thinking since you joined Kongoh? 
NAKAJIMA: Entering Kongoh...Noah has always been led by Kongoh, but it was The Sugiura Army and M's alliance who were the differences in the topic of conversation in the first half of the year. So, it was just the timing of the N-1 where this was not a problem, and so I wanted to make it a topic of Kongoh somehow. As an individual I wanted to go and conquer, and as a result I am glad that in this years N-1 I was able to wrestle the final with Kongoh's Kenoh as Kongoh. 
Q: And as a result, one unit has two belts, Noah's most valuable assets. 
NAKAJIMA: As of now, that's right. 
Q: So, 2021 was finally the year when Kongoh took the leading role? 
NAKAJIMA: I think you can say that. 
Q: Do you have any messages that you would like to convey to the Kongoh members? 
NAKAJIMA: Message? 
Q: Yes, both you and Kenoh have belts (GHC Heavyweight and GHC National), but the other wrestlers do not. Kenoh said he wanted to encourage them, but what about you? 
NAKAJIMA: I feel like I don't have to add anything else. In the first place, I feel I don't have to bother to say anything to members with strong belief. 
Q: Do you feel like you are making yourself more and more radiant? 
NAKAJIMA: Now that I have the belt, I think its because Kongoh has the belt. Maybe Kenoh is thinking that too, right? I think I got it because of that member. 
Q: Is the team really strong in something like a bond? 
NAKAJIMA: I don't say anything, but I think there is something. It can't be put into words. 
Q: I see..
NAKAJIMA: I want the juniors to get a little more roused. 
Q: That's right. 
NAKAJIMA: However, in the juniors Tadasuke is doing his best right now, his assertions are getting better, so it's only a little more for results...
Q: I feel that the mobility has also improved because Aleja has joined. 
NAKAJIMA: That's right. 
Q: There weren't many users of aerial techniques in Kongoh, and I felt that I was able to see what was missing. In that sense, 2021 has been a really good year. 
NAKAJIMA: That's right. 


Enthusiasm for the battle with Go Shiozaki

Q: On January 1st at the Nippon Budokan event on New Year's Day, you will fight Go Shiozaki who you have also fought in pre matches, but how was Go Shiozaki after actually returning? 
NAKAJIMA: I didn't feel Go Shiozaki during the return match. Not at all. 
Q: What does that mean? 
NAKAJIMA: Well, I don't know if that was a return, not so much...
Q: Not holding back did not happen...
NAKAJIMA: It didn't occur. However, during that time Korakuen Hall felt Go Shiozaki from start to finish, it was those two days that are blank. Korakuen was two days after his return battle and Go Shiozaki who had regained his senses at an amazing speed was at Korakuen. That makes it a little more interesting...
Q: Then on the 1st, do you have an image of how you are going to interact with Go Shiozaki's condition? 
NAKAJIMA: Why? Isn't that up to him? 
Q: However, it means that you felt that something in the feeling of that match, was returned yesterday. 
NAKAJIMA: True. His return match was too weak. 
Q: It felt like that. 
NAKAJIMA: It was said it was dull, so maybe everyone thinks that. 
Q: Because it was a long gap...
NAKAJIMA: That match, it was a different Go Shiozaki.
Q: Was the part between the timing and the conflict not so good? 
NAKAJIMA: How? 
Q: But, that means that your impression changed at once in yesterday's match. 
NAKAJIMA: That's right. 


Feelings for the GHC Heavyweight

Q: You have been crowned as GHC Heavyweight champion twice so far, but what about you feelings of taking the belt and carrying Noah with it? 
NAKAJIMA: It's completely different
Q: What is the difference? 
NAKAJIMA: The 28th and the 36th* generations.
Q: Is it completely different from that time now? 
NAKAJIMA: It's quite different
Q: How? 
NAKAJIMA: I couldn't do anything in the past (i.e at the time he was the 28th champion), how many matches did I have? I defended the belt about seven times and held it for a year, but I couldn't do anything I wanted to do at that time. 
Q: Why does it seem like that? 
NAKAJIMA: I couldn't do what I wanted to do...
Q: But I think that seven defenses was a certain level of achievement..
NAKAJIMA: Speaking of achievements I think there were, however, reflecting on it Katsuhiko Nakajima in the past wasn't influenced, even if he had a belt then. 
Q: It's true that your influence is completely different now. 
NAKAJIMA: Now, I feel that a little bit. Somehow I've managed to make so much energy now. 
Q: I think you are becoming a symbol of Noah's strength
NAKAJIMA: Really? 
Q: I think Marufuji is the symbol, I think Sugiura's image is a strong symbol of strength and now there is the image that Nakajima is gradually becoming the symbol of strength. The kick is so powerful it makes a great selling point. Also, there is your fighting style, your ego and your competitive spirit. I think that side, including the somewhat daring style, can be seen as the hidden parts of strength. How about yourself? 
NAKAJIMA: If I talk too much, then I will have to take a lot of techniques. I would hate that (laughs). 
Q: I really feel that side is amazing. The sharpness of the kick and the strength are still the same, but the awesomeness has increased, hasn't it? 
NAKAJIMA: That makes me happy
Q: Do you think so yourself? 
NAKAJIMA: I don't get compliments directly like that. You don't get much praise when you enter Kongoh.
Q: Really? But, when you were confronting strong veterans in various ways there is an image that you were not inferior, or rather, you are confronting them fiercely. So the image of the champion is completely different from the previous image of champion like you said. I have the impression that you have really come into your own as champion.
NAKAJIMA: I have an awareness that I'm in the ring now with confidence. 
Q: Whether you are having a match or welcoming a championship, do you feel different now from when you were then? 
NAKAJIMA: I think it's different. I don't really remember those days. 
Q: It feels like you are more prepared now. 
NAKAJIMA: It's not so much that I was becoming not able to move, it was more a strange self confidence or awareness that "it will be somehow". After all, I am the champion, so I have to do something about it. That awareness has become very strong, or else I have the strength to protect. I can't put it very well into words. 
Q: Back then I think you felt a heavy burden on your shoulders as champion, but what about now? 
NAKAJIMA: At that time, I couldn't help but want to do something about it. 
Q: But when you look at it from the outside...
NAKAJIMA: It was a complete swing and miss
Q: And at that time, you missed
NAKAJIMA: It felt like I was on my own. It was like "No one is watching my practice", and although I was ready, no one threw the ball. 
Q: I felt like you were doing a great job, even when watching from the outside. But, are things really calmer now? 
NAKAJIMA: There are various environments, or maybe there is a harmonious state. 
Q: Do you mean something like that the support of the team is big?
NAKAJIMA: I think so, and of course the company itself has also changed a lot, and I think that is also big. 
Q: It's true that CyberFight has created an environment where you can concentrate on matches, isn't it? 
NAKAJIMA: The biggest difference from then is that there is now an environment where you can go out to a match, right? Because everyone is in a great environment it is big, and I can feel that now.


Q: You smile a little crazily during the matches, is this because you are enjoying it?
NAKAJIMA: There is that too
Q: Is it, for example, when there is a response to being kicked? A grin when you think the match is interesting, or when you feel it is challenging? Does your facial expression appear when there is a worthwhile response? 
NAKAJIMA: I think so
Q: I think your appeal has increased in that area as well. 
NAKAJIMA: This praise is killing me (laughs)

Impressions of being the last to enter the Nippon Budokan

Q: You are now in a position to be able to do what Kenoh really wanted to do, which is enter last at The Nippon Budokan. The impression that you will be entering at the Budokan is still going to happen, so it may not seem very real yet, but how is it? 
NAKAJIMA: I'm happy. Of course, I am happy that I am in that position, and I think I have a greater sense of self awareness and responsibility. The Nippon Budokan, isn't that the "sacred place?" If I enter last, then I have to finish it properly...
Q: True
NAKAJIMA: I will make it tight. 
Q: Sounds good. By the way, aren't you the pinnacle of all the Pro Wrestling Noah wrestlers right now? Do you feel that burden?
NAKAJIMA: I try not to think about it too much
Q: Do you try not to think about such things as much as possible? 
NAKAJIMA: But, if you look there are legends and others, don't you think? I can't be like a legend. 
Q: But, in terms of active duty, I think you are a wrestler who is completely in the forefront, so I think there is confidence. 
NAKAJIMA: Well, I'm finally going to be the last to enter in the main on the big stage. Like Yoyogi, The Nippon Budokan is a very special place for Noah, and I will be the last to stand in the main on the final stage. What I think now is, "Enjoy Katsuhiko Nakajima to your hearts content". 
Q: That's a good line, and I hope that all the fans who come to the event will be able to fully enjoy Katsuhiko Nakajima. 
NAKAJIMA: That's because I am Noah.
Q: That is a numbing line. 


Target for 2022

Q: We are asking everyone about their goals for 2022. Katsuhiko, what do you want to do in 2022? 
NAKAJIMA: Expansion
Q: What is "Expansion?"
NAKAJIMA: Over the past two years, there have been times when fans couldn't come to the venue because of Corona, but despite that, we continued to have matches. At that time, Noah were the only ones who did empty arena and broadcast their shows. I know that other groups and promotions were suffering, but it was very helpful was that Noah had one possibility and that was to be the first to broadcast. So, while Corona is still going on and customers are returning, more Noah is being offered and I can really feel the good quality or the awesomeness of it. I don't know how long Corona will last, but I feel like we can compete next year. However, the promotion was unavailable this year and last year, wasn't it? No other wrestlers could come. It felt like it was done with Noah alone, but I think that from next year it should be expanded more and more. In order for Noah's pro wrestling to be Noah I think it's okay to go abroad more and look to the world, and isn't it possible to put wrestling overseas on WRESTLEUNIVERSE? Fans are watching it and with the spread of social media I think going out into the world is a good way to get to know Japan more with Noah, whether or not it can be done. 
Q: In terms of looking to the world, 2022 is going to be a very interesting year. 
NAKAJIMA: It will be. Surely. 
Q: I am looking forward to the Nippon Budokan on January 1st!


*GHC champions are given a number, Mitsuharu Misawa was the 1st generation champion, with Nakajima being the 28th and the 36th champion.  

Comments