(NOAH) "Overcoming a year of suffering, in 2022 I will be the true center of Noah" - Kaito Kiyomiya (1st January Road to The Budokan Championship Match)


December 22nd 2021
Pro Wrestling Today

Pro Wrestling Noah will hold their Nippon Budokan event, "ABEMA presents NOAH THE NEW YEAR 2022" on New Year January 1st. Kaito Kiyomiya looks back on 2021, which was a troubled year, but he announced a challenge to Kenoh's GHC National Belt on New Year's Day saying "I will take Noah next year from the start." Kiyomiya talked about his enthusiasm for the fight with Kenoh and other rivals, his thoughts on the higher generation such as Keiji Mutoh, Naomichi Marufuji and Takashi Sugiura, and the reaction of changing his costume to black. 

Looking back on 2021

Q: First, please tell is about the memorable events and the matches that left an impression on you in 2021. 
KIYOMIYA: It was a year of worries...but, speaking of something memorable, I think it was a year of experiencing bloodshed in the match with NOSAWA, something that I would not have experienced before.
Q: You have had various experiences, changed your style, your costume and your hair from blonde to black, and I think the change in your mind has been very much this past year, and I feel like you were really worried. 
KIYOMIYA: It was the biggest. I used to say that it was a bright scene and always felt encouraging, but then it wasn't a bright scene anymore, and I went to the opposite part. Well, I've been struggling a lot this year. 
Q: Did you have an image of yourself in the slump? 
KIYOMIYA: Wasn't it that in myself, I didn't have the dimension to think of the slump objectively?
Q: I don't know
KIYOMIYA: What was pro wrestling really? What's right? No matter what I thought about, such as asking for the correct answer all the time, it backfired in various ways. Nothing went well, and it was really hard at the time. 
Q: But, this is the way that people who become stars go. 
KIYOMIYA: Really? 
Q: Yes, I heard that even Keiji Mutoh had a time when he was very worried about how to excite the fans and that included how to put matches together. In that way I think that everyone has experienced it in the past, and has passed through that gate...I think the term "stalemate" is a little bit different, but I think that having a little time to look back at yourself will also give you the chance to grow significantly again.
KIYOMIYA: I really feel that experience helps me now
Q: Is it safe to say that the doubt has been put behind you now? 
KIYOMIYA: Yes
Q: For you, what big triggers or incidents where there? 
KIYOMIYA: What happened usually was the matches. When I first thought Mutoh, I felt really helpless. I don't really remember the last time and I don't really remember giving up due to a concussion...I lost the match without knowing and I was like "What is this?". From there I was impatient, anxious and a little scared of pro wrestling and from there various things appeared. I had the feeling that from there I would go back up, but the gears didn't mesh well...and in the subsequent match with NOSAWA, my head was hit by a chair. I was wondering what pro wrestling was, and then I had another match with NOSAWA. At that time, my feelings were already messed up. I had come to care about the opinions of those around me, and I thought they would be happy if it happened, but at that time I was wondering how to beat the opponent? When I said that was what I wanted to do, I felt that I wanted to do that the most. 
Q: Was it like the match gave you the chance to bring the feelings of the fighter to the surface? 
KIYOMIYA: The part that was concerned about my appearance burst there
Q: From the time when you were doing your best carrying Noah in 2019, when you were seen as Noah's star of hope, it was the year when the belt passed to Shiozaki. Noah has changed a lot this year.
KIYOMIYA: Noah is really fast now, and that is something I want to show such as it's flow or the momentum. 
Q: You are about to return to the leading role? 
KIYOMIYA: Yes


January 1st GHC National Championship at the Nippon Budokan event, enthusiasm for the fight with Kenoh

Q: Next is the GHC National Championship with Kenoh on January 1st. You have won a victory in the pre-match, but what is your enthusiasm for the match? 
KIYOMIYA: My opponent, Kenoh, who I will fight against for the GHC National at the Nippon Budokan, is my number one nemesis. He has been an opponent for a long time, and so he is the wrestler that has the most feelings and emotions. I will defeat Kenoh here, and take Noah next year from the start. 
Q: I think it's physically very hard to interact with Kenoh, he has kicks with great destructive power, Kiyomiya do you like that kind of match? 
KIYOMIYA: Hmmm...but you see, when I was a rookie I made my debut when Suzuki-Gun came, and that made me do something I couldn't. That's where the durability comes from. In Noah matches there are many hard hitting wrestlers, so I am confident about being passive and taking such things. 
Q: No matter what style the opponent is, you are prepared to take it? 
KIYOMIYA: Yes
Q: I think it is true to say that in wrestling you receive, but I think you often get beaten up, so it is difficult isn't it? Building your body, recovering it afterwards. How do you handle things like physical care yourself? 
KIYOMIYA: I often look at my physical condition with care, and if there is any discrepancy, I contact Noah's trainer so that I don't get injured for a long time. 
Q: That is a side of professional awareness with highly physical care. 
KIYOMIYA: I also have a lot of knee injuries and so after all if it goes on then I will enter a period of malaise. I have to be careful as I don't want to affect matches. 
Q: Do you care about your eating habits? Or are you someone who eats without worrying too much?
KIYOMIYA: I don't really care (laughs)
Q: Because you are young and have good metabolism it's a time when you can consume as much as you want to eat with the amount of exercise. 
KIYOMIYA: Yes, there is always joint practice in the morning, so I think its okay to eat a lot when you train. 
Q: The privilege of youth, and a gift of practice I think. 
KIYOMIYA: I want to get bigger though, so I am eating more and more. 
Q: So you feel like you will continue to upgrade your body?
KIYOMIYA: Yes
Q: In 2022, I want you to show the bulked up body
KIYOMIYA: I want you to see what has changed. 

In what direction does Kiyomiya want to lead Pro Wrestling Noah as a flag bearer of the new era? 

Q: As the standard bearer of the new era, I think in 2019 there was already a part that the Kiyomiya era had arrived. No matter what wrestler I ask I hear that the way they felt about the belt is completely different from when they first got the belt and then took it back later several champions later. In terms of carrying the new era from now on, how do you think you want to lead Noah?


KIYOMIYA: When I first took the belt, my head registered it, but my heart didn't. I didn't really feel it, and it was more of a feeling of surprise that I had the belt. Now I think I want to take it. The difference now is that I want to get the belt and show that. I mean to do this. 
Q: For example, I think there is a part that spreads to the world through various distribution channels such as WrestleUniverse now, but I want you to be a selling point to the world. Do you think of the different challenges in that area? 
KIYOMIYA: TikTok is insanely popular right now. I thought I would do a personal one. 
Q: I see. TikTok. So that is it.
KIYOMIYA: I have a younger sister, and she said "Oniichan*, why don't you do TikTok?" I said, "I will do it, but wait!"
Q: What kind of behavior you show on TikTok is very important, isn't it? 
KIYOMIYA: It certainly is
Q: Of course there is the strong side of wrestling, but I think its very important in how to make yourself look different from that. It will lead to the development of new fans, and I think you should definitely do it. 
KIYOMIYA: I want to show you everything. I want to show various aspects of me, including this one. I can show various aspects and even if just one of them gets hooked, I think it will be a trigger for some people to watch pro wrestling. I hope that customers will come to Noah from various directions. 
Q: I think that various things will emerge in the future, including TikTok. I think you can be a medium to disseminate this information. 
KIYOMIYA: Thank you. From children to adults, the age group will also expand. 
Q: Well, I think the appealing part is very important, and I think that it is suitable for you.
KIYOMIYA: I'm glad


Rivals

Q: I would like to ask you about your rivals, who do you suppose your rival is? 
KIYOMIYA: Kenoh. 
Q: How do you see Kenoh as a rival? 
KIYOMIYA: Somehow for me at each point, is that when it becomes a key point, Kenoh is always standing across from me. It's fate or destiny, and Kenoh is in my pro wrestling life at Key Points. 
Q: It is the same with farewell matches. 
KIYOMIYA: I think it started from that point. There were words that we exchanged in the ring from the farewell match in Fukushima*, and when I came back, my first title challenge was against Kenoh, and he did it next for the belt too*. Kenoh and I have been connected since then. So, next year in Noah I will fight Kenoh at the important Nippon Budokan event, as ever, my rival is Kenoh. 
Q: This will be on January 1st, and your mood will be different depending on whether you win at New Year or start it by losing. 
KIYOMIYA: The same is true for my mood, as deciding wrestler in Noah will be the center from now on is the most important thing. I think I am standing after falling, and the guy who can make a good start next year will be carrying it. 
Q: Kenoh has his birthday on that day, and you will give him a loss as gift. 
Kiyomiya: Yes. With my victory.

Thoughts on the veteran generation

Q: Now I would like to ask you about Noah's veteran generation. With Mutoh, Marufuji and Sugiura, and including Masato Tanaka and Masaaki Mochizuki from other promotions, do you have any thoughts about yourself as the new generation? 
KIYOMIYA: I think the environment where the veteran generation still exists, is very important. I think there are a lot of things that can be learned by people of my generation in this precious environment, so I think am very blessed right now. 
Q: When you are playing a match, do you feel the depth or something else? 
KIYOMIYA: Yes. I am always thinking of how to stay ahead of the veterans, but then another technique will come out, and their amount is really amazing.
Q: I think that you, including training with Ogawa, has absorbed that tradition including the inheritance of techniques and of the soul, from various senior wrestlers. How about that sphere? 
KIYOMIYA: I truly wonder how this really was. When it came to the match between myself and Ogawa-san, Ogawa-san bought out the basic technical parts that I really wanted to make important. I also felt there was a communication in the match like "What would you do next, if I did this?". I didn't just wrestle a match, I really felt the true meaning of wrestling a match.
Q: What you got for yourself was important? 
KIYOMIYA: To tell you the truth, I was really down during the match, and as I am purely devoted to pro wrestling I gave the impression that it was really fun. Perhaps for me it was a big important match to wrestle for a promotion called Noah.

Reaction to the black costume

Q: How was the reaction to your black costume after your image change? 
KIYOMIYA: There were quite a few 
Q: In terms of pros and cons of course, I think there were many pros, but how was that? 
KIYOMIYA: In truth, I was prepared for it. 
Q: I thought it was a bold image change. 
KIYOMIYA: Yes. Well, I thought nothing would change if I didn't be bold, and it was a very positive reaction when I did and I was a little disappointed (laughs).
Q: It was a little disappointing (laughs). But, I thought that you had changed a lot when you returned to Japan, and I had the impression this time too that you had changed a lot.
KIYOMIYA: I really think that it was good for the people watching that I betrayed expectations. 
Q: We will continue to experience various changes in Kiyomiya, including changes in style and costume. 
KIYOMIYA: Yes. Look forward to it. 


Target for 2022

Q: Lastly, regarding your goals for 2022, what do you want to do? 
KIYOMIYA: Carrying Noah, becoming the true core and leading it, depends on the start of the Nippon Budokan next year and from thereon I am thinking of taking Noah to a higher place immediately. 

About New Japan vs Noah (8th January, Yokohama Arena)
-This was before the announcement of the match card. The card was later announced as Keiji Mutoh & Kaito Kiyomiya vs Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada. 

Q: Finally, I would like to ask you a little bit about New Japan on the 8th January. No cards have been announced yet, but at the press conference are you motivated for the 8th January? 
KIYOMIYA: I think motivation will continue to rise, but before that there is Noah's Nippon Budokan event. Right now I am working hard towards that where I am trying to take a belt there and then go to the 8th January. I am making plans, and the switch is already on. 
Q: I think that the response from the people around you was pretty amazing, but have you heard anything from them? 
KIYOMIYA: Often. Some of my friends want to watch my match and they support me, but someone who doesn't even contact me said "I want to come and see you"
Q: Ah, it means there was a lot of reaction. 
KIYOMIYA: There was response. 
Q: Then, I am looking forward to Kiyomiya's rapid progress in 2022.
KIYOMIYA: Thank you. Thank you. 

*Literally, older brother. 
*Kaito Kiyomiya went to the USA and Canada on excursion, the last person in Noah to have done so at the time of writing. 
*Kenoh challenged Kaito Kiyomiya for the GHC Heavyweight and lost

Comments