(NOAH) "As you like it" - Interview with Mitsuharu Misawa (2001)

This interview comes from 2001, probably in about August/September as Noah celebrates their first year. What is notable about this is how Mitsuharu Misawa is more energetic than he appears in an interview nine years later, and also the fact that while he talks about the seniors - Kenta Kobashi, Jun Akiyama, Yoshihiro Takayama, he never talks about Noah's younger talent. It's also interesting to note that at the time this took place, Noah's youngest Noah Born, Yasutaka Yano, was only about a year old.

Q: First of all, I would like to ask you what you think about Noah's first anniversary? 
MISAWA: I don't have time to look back, I think time has gone in the blink of an eye. 
Q: Is this something you designed, or is it possible that it came out as Misawa's way? 
MISAWA: A design...I didn't have something so decisive. I have to do it like this, because that is why everyone came here. 
Q: From the start you made an intentional statement that Noah is about freedom. 
MISAWA: Well, that's right and I will continue to do so. It's because I've been able to do what I want, isn't it? 
Q: Originally it was created to do what the wrestlers wanted. 
MISAWA: Yes, I haven't imposed anything. As for pro wrestling, I've been allowed to do it as I wish, and so every person in the ring is free to do anything. Even if the wrestlers don't know how to run a company (laughs) there is no necessity for them to understand, because it would interfere with matches.      
Q: Misawa-san, it is said that there is "always" freedom while simultaneously being responsible, but how would you evaluate each wrestler? 
MISAWA: Well, they are doing their best. You see, if's it an action you have taken which has caused you to be booed, it will come back even if it doesn't feel good. It's about what comes back.
Q: When I read your remarks recently, I thought it was amazing when you said "Pro Wrestling = Noah". Regarding this? 
MISAWA: Well, Noah has only been around for a year, but I am happy that everyone comes to see it. I have pride in doing pro wrestling in that tradition. 
Q: I think pro wrestling can be seen as Baba and Inoki. It was at about this time that you said you didn't like Royal Road, but is that because you have a desire to surpass that? 
MISAWA: That's right. I don't know Royal Road, it's a matter of making your own path, so it's person by person. There is Noah as a place, and Noah just provided a place for wrestlers to fight. As a path for the company I haven't and didn't decide because only I can make my path. In the end, pro wrestling is a personal world. Ultimately, its in the ring where you have to fight alone. To be honest, I've never thought about Royal Road and as ZERO-1 used it, I didn't (laughs)
Q: Conversely, have you ever felt Royal Road to be a barrier to fighting spirit? 
MISAWA: Hmmm, no. I myself, have been doing it all the time. When I was young it was what my seniors did, and I thought I couldn't do it the same way. 
Q: "I am myself"
MISAWA: Yes. I think I have a technique that suits me. 
Q: On the other hand, you don't make Noah in your own way
MISAWA: I don't know
Q: When that happens, I wonder what Mitsuharu Misawa will be and what Noah will become? 
MISAWA: It's been okay until that point. 
Q: "Until that point". That's right.
MISAWA: In any case, to bring the fight to the battlefield, unity is necessary. Yes, if you take action, then everyone can board and by all means, board Noah's Ark. There are various animals on the boat and various personalities, but it's not possible to be the same and I think that is fine, it's not fun to have the same matches.
Q: So what is Noah? "This as you like it, isn't it?"
MISAWA: Well, the most important thing to keep in mind is to always remember that you were someone chosen for this. I want you to think so when you have matches.
Q: Especially Rikio* who appeared in ZER0-1, Naoya Ogawa said that "Noah has a big wrestler". Baba certainly chose big people, but you yourself are a middle sized wrestler. Isn't it so much about size?  
MISAWA: Hey, no. On the contrary, even if he is small then there is no reason why he should have to move as a smaller guy. A match between small guys is fun. If you are small, why do you rely on power? Those guys are different, they can't do it that way*
Q: In that sense, you don't have to be big.
MISAWA: Sure bigger is better. 5kg and 10kg are completely different, whether it's punching or kicking. However, the guy who can't conceive to make up for it shouldn't be on top. I basically like guys with various ingenuity and ideas, they are interesting to watch.     
Q: The type that uses their head. If anything, I think Baba learned a very basic way of movement. In that, you always tried to do techniques, but certainly if you look at All Japan's history for one thing there is an image that you have changed for a start. 
MISAWA: I don't know how that is, but hey (laughs)
Q: You flew. Well, I think it was because you were Tiger Mask
MISAWA: I was allowed to do it my own way at that time I think. However you see it, the basics are the most important. I'm not saying that you should go through the basics one by one, but once it's a foundation they will come to you one by one. If there is a guy who is trying to do something flashy without doing the basics, then clearly there is a bit of a difference. Because there are things that can be built up, I don't think it is okay to make things easier for yourself and not have that experience when young (laughs). If you are someone who hasn't had a hard time, then you are someone who is lucky to be able to go with the times. If it happens accidentally, then what will that guy be? If it can't be helped then I don't think it's a good thing, because there is always someone injured.   
Q: Speaking of which, there is Kobashi's injury. 
MISAWA: To put it the other way round, isn't this a good rest? Perhaps not done if the injury wasn't serious.
Q: At the Budokan you did TV commentary, did you mean to say a few words? 
MISAWA: Under those circumstances I think it is good to have the experience of working hard during practice. That's my opinion, but my opinion and Kobashi's are different. Well, even if the launch of the promotion was delayed, Kobashi may have been injured to the extent of surgery.
Q: On the other hand, I think that Akiyama is showing great efforts. What is your evaluation of him? 
MISAWA: Hmm. It's said that the least talked about method does not work, so create a topic and deal with the media. He understands how hard it is to have Noah, and I am trying my best with a great sense of anxiety. Well, from now on, anyway. 
Q: From here on
MISAWA: From now on he has to do what he didn't need to understand and what he didn't need to do. 
Q: What was it he did not know? 
MISAWA: The management of the company. Now, matches in the ring aren't the situation that's going to happen, but the situation that is coming as the days go by. If I'm going to be a wrestler then I'd like to practice until noon, work up a good sweat and then take a nap and go out and have fun at night. I don't have time for myself, and that kind of pace doesn't have to be done. You have to experience the difficulty of doing things that you don't have to do until now. 
Q: In that sense, it is necessary for each wrestler to be aware of it.
MISAWA: The pampering I want from you as a wrestler is in being flexible. In training for a match I am not too good, but it's okay yeah. Troubled world in the future, because it's difficult because I can't do it some extent. As much as you think it's amazing for a wrestler, it's ideal to be able to do anything.   
Q: Is Akiyama different than to before? 
MISAWA: No, he is himself. He has a strong sense of that. 
Q: He used to be considered odd in the old All Japan days
MISAWA: Yes, but I am someone like that though. 
Q: But, even if you are like that, do you ever feel like it is breaking away? 
MISAWA: Yes, there is that.
Q: Yes!
MISAWA: It's true you see, after all, I still have a good time. But what should I do when it becomes unacceptable in the future? How soon will it happen? There are times when it happens, there are times that I am sorry about what comes out.
Q: Isn't that a personal risk? 
MISAWA: I have no choice but to recognize that
Q: That is a comment that I think would be cooler to read in regards to President Misawa, but on the contrary, it seems that Misawa vs Akiyama will come out swinging because of that. 
MISAWA: That's good, not bad. After all, look Akiyama, I'm trying my best. Why are you being cheeky? But it's just as I expect from Akiyama...I have to think about it everywhere I go (sarcastic laugh). That's why the company does not force that part, it's the fans themselves who have to keep up.
Q: By the way Misawa-san, Takayama-san is now independent.
MISAWA: Instead of saying "Independent" you mean "Freelance"
Q: It seems he has set up an office
MISAWA: Wrestling and managing, it will be difficult. 
Q: However, since you had the decency to give him a break before PRIDE, should there be a wish to contribute as much as possible in Noah? Is that part of importance of your freedom?
MISAWA: It can't be helped because it's something that he can only do now. Some kind of sacrifice will come. If anything, I think he is doing his best and I don't feel like he doesn't belong in matches. Well, I want him to do his best. I want him to win even in Pride, because he is in the ring with that much disadvantage on his back.        
Q: Misawa-san, in the past year, what is the growing presence? 
MISAWA: Well, all the young guys are growing and on the contrary, there is a guy in the middle who wants you to do your best. Whether it's Kikuchi or Asako, you are the one who enters into defense. Contrary to that, look, there is a mysterious man isn't there? Inoue (Masao). I don't know if he's tried to defend or is trying to defend, maybe it's a form of attack?  
Q: Hahaha!
MISAWA: I think it's the case that he has an important role to be able to watch his matches with peace of mind, and that said, he is surprisingly good at. Tamon-chan* has a good reputation for commentary. I want him to do various things, and of course what goes on inside the ring is important but that said there is no loss in his doing this as he also wrestles.
Q: By the way, according to a newspaper, it has been reported that a Noah tour now includes cities in Asia such as South Korea* and Taiwan. What about this? 
MISAWA: It's a wish and an expectation. I can't say anything until I have seen the level over there. I don't think it's a story (laughs)
Q: What about wrestling in South Korea currently? I haven't heard anything about it recently. 
MISAWA: Well, I have to try it. Going over there is not possible now, but I think it's fun to say that it will surpass Noah in a few years (laugh)
Q: So, would this be for the purposes of local entertainment, discovering international student wrestlers or for competing against each other?     
MISAWA: I am not thinking about discovery. Basically, I want as many people as possible to know Noah. That's the best. That's it. 
Q: Would it be a tour or a show? 
MISAWA: Well, basically if I could do it with a good relationship, that's fine. 
Q: If anything, Taiwan seems to be in great demand. Pro wrestling is very popular.
MISAWA: There is also national character. I wonder if the Japanese are the quietest in that part. I have wrestled in Taiwan, though.
Q: There you have it
MISAWA: I think it's fun in America.
Q: There isn't much that grinds together. (rough)
MISAWA: It's good, but well, young guys would rather go to concerts after all than arts, but pro wrestling has some subtleties. 
Q: There are many enthusiastic fans in pro wrestling.
MISAWA: Yes. I hope that the visage of Noah that is first seen will come from the countryside. 
Q: Noah's venue has a low degree of pro wrestling nerds? There are many young and pretty female fans (laughs)
MISAWA: Hey, they are not like general nerds, because they are called NOAH nerds. 
Q: If that's the case. 
MISAWA: Two channels, on the internet etc. 
Q: Are you perusing? 
MISAWA: There seems to be a Misawa imitator. 
Q: Hahaha!
MISAWA: I have never written about it though. There seems to be a guy who pretends to be me and writes my name (laughs) 
Q: Well, but, could you conclude that your presence is a topic with much to talk about? 
MISAWA: Just don't be fooled (laughs). I'm wondering when to do it with some lecture. It's not the real me (laughs). But, these kind of things happen and when it comes to being a strong and famous person, it's different from being a wrestler. I can't help to respond to it, I don't support it though. It's not just about cheering, there is also envy.
Q: Envy?        
MISAWA: I have to deal with that too
Q: In contrast Misawa-san, how do you deal with the anti-Misawa voices?
MISAWA: There is nothing I can do about it. I mean, I don't think I'm going to change for those guys. I have no love for clinging to people. See ya. 
Q: Even if they cling to you? 
MISAWA: Well, that's it, there is a variety (laughs) 
Q: Misawa-san, is there any idea that this fall will be more than the Nippon Budokan, for example, dome-class or a larger place? 
MISAWA: Well, I want more, but I'm not in a hurry
Q: No rush
MISAWA: In such a situation, if a suitable card emerges, then it's just a matter of luck. There's nothing wrong with it and if it's big then it can be seen by many people, but anyway I want to show good things, I want to show interesting things.
Q: Work for it
MISAWA: That's right. I'm not that greedy. 
Q: Finally, how will Noah's Ark go forward into its second year? 
MISAWA: Hmm, it's interesting because I don't know. Basically, it does sound strange to say that there is no place to go, but start from nothing and turn with the winds as you wish, if you can see light there then go there and if you can see it here, then go here. There is no choice but to go to the place where you can see the light and the hope. The Ark will go where there is hope.         
Q: Thank you for today. 

*Takeshi Rikio, now retired and running a restaurant. A later Noah Born, well after both Misawa and Rikio's time, Yoshiki Inamura, would adopt his finisher, the Musou.
*Misawa would have loved Tadasuke, a junior with heavyweight strength
*Tamon Honda, now semi retired and running a wrestling school. 
*Noah did go to South Korea, the footage is sparse but it does show that an ultra rare ring invasion by Mitsuharu Misawa, wearing a suit, happened. Also on the show where Jason The Terrible and Super Leather, who Misawa fought with. 

Comments